Posted

I don't buy my pork from Africa so I should be safe, right?:hystery:

• Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I don't buy my pork from Africa

Maybe it's home grown Swine fever as was stated that it was found in backyard farms.

Am i right to assume that imported pork are dead ones, how does that transfer to live Filipino pigs?

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Maybe it's home grown Swine fever as was stated that it was found in backyard farms.

Am i right to assume that imported pork are dead ones, how does that transfer to live Filipino pigs?

I read in the Star today that their are some confirmed cases of the African Swine Fever in Bulican and Rizal. I don't know how it transfers. I hope they get it under control before it spreads.:bomb_80_anim_gif:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I read in the Star today that their are some confirmed cases of the African Swine Fever in Bulican and Rizal. I don't know how it transfers. I hope they get it under control before it spreads

From what I have read, the illness is a virus that has incredible tenacity and longevity - it can be transferred on footware, soil, car or motorcycle tires. In short, anything that is in contact with it can spread it. Unfortunately, since it has already appeared in Philippines, I think it will spread throughout the country. By the time symptoms appear in pigs in an area, it is already too late and probably spread beyond that area. There don't have to be imported infected pigs - items just coming from an infected area can be carriers.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Pigs will fly John.

• Haha 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Pigs will fly John.

Well someone has to bring home the bacon Jim!

Screenshot_2019-09-10 Why millions of pigs are being culled in Asia.png

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Here's an update I found today regarding African Swine Flu here in Philippines. It is sad to say, but I think this is the beginning of a long decline in pork production and maybe consumption here. I think it was inevitable considering how this virus is so pernicious and easily spread... I used Google Translate from the original Tagalog and it seems to be a fairly accurate translation:

The public was alarmed at the news that even processed meat products such as hotdog, tocino and sausage were also affected by African Swine fever - Although these brands are not named, further evaluation will be done especially on imported processed meat products entering the country. - The Department of Agriculture has also confirmed that Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Quezon City, Cavite and Nueva Ecija have confirmed ASF cases Three brands of processed meat products have emerged positive for African Swine fever (ASF). According to ABS-CBN news, the Philippine Association of Meat Processors Inc or PAMPI allegedly received this information from reporters and hog raisers and not the authorities. The Philippine Star reported on October 15 when a clinical laboratory gave the results of their test that three meat samples were positive for ASF. Rex Agarrado of PAMPI added that neither of the reports had received the names of these imported brands contaminated by this virus. According to the Agriculture Industry Association (Ray) group, it simply means that it is not true that the ASF virus will die if it goes through the heating process or cooking. As a result, PAMPI has already lost 50 billion pesos in sales and is just entering the holiday season. As a result, the importation of imported meats into the country will be even more stringent. As soon as the products are introduced in the country, it will immediately undergo a thorough process of the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health. The Rays are ready to file a lawsuit against those who do not comply with this rule. Meanwhile, the Department of Agriculture has confirmed that there are still ASF cases in Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Quezon City, Cavite and even in Nueva Ecija

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I'm still going to eat my bacon dang it. Dang the swine flu..full bacon ahead! :smile:

BTW I get my bacon at S&R..:th_thbarbaque:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I still get the off the shelf bacon at SM... It's fine...