Ex Pat Credit Score in the Philippines

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Related to this topic somewhat:  

Although I have a business Amex that I use, which is related to a stateside account, my normal US ]debit/ATM cards have proven to be a problem over time.  They worked fine when I got here, but then inevitably the bank re-issues them, and the only way to initialize them is at their own ATM machine.  This proved to be impossible since I have not been back to the states in several years, making all my cards eventually defunct.  

It was good motivation to transfer fully to a local BDO account.   

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

They worked fine when I got here, but then inevitably the bank re-issues them, and the only way to initialize them is at their own ATM machine.

Really? My three cards all come with three options: Use a proprietary ATM from that institution, call a number they give,or go online and activate it there on a website they list. Maybe you could have tried getting cards at different banks? Doesn't matter much so long as it works for you. I hope they will work internationally, including in USA in case you travel...

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Yeah they supposedly have the ability to initiate by my call-in to customer service, but despite their efforts it didn't actually work.  Just something to think about, and something that I never considered when deciding to live abroad.  Best to bank locally anyway IMO. 

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Best to bank locally anyway IMO.

I see your point, but respectfully disagree a bit. As I posted in another thread about banking here, I have had a great experience with my US institutions for transfers, credit cards, debit card...all of it. My only troubles have been here and they were mostly solved with just patience and persistence. But I still have not been able to get a credit card yet and that just irritates me. Having a local bank credit card I think might just look better if I try to use it in a local shop....and it won't likely get rejected like the "foreign" one might.

So I see two sides to this. And also, like I said earlier, what's important is that, whatever you do, it works for you!:smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If I want to use my credit cards here, I typically give a travel notice to the issuers - good for up to three months - and all is good.

My CapitalOne chip card no longer uses travel alerts.  They send a text and e-mail if they thing there is a suspicious transaction, and you have to reply "Ok" if everything is OK.  If not you won't be able to use the card until you contact them.  I like the system.  For all my regular transactions at the grocery store, gas, etc., never a problem.  I think only 3-4 times I got the text/e-mail and it was when I charged something strange online, like Klook from my phone in Cebu.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think only 3-4 times I got the text/e-mail and it was when I charged something strange online, like Klook from my phone in Cebu.

OMW... If I were a USA or other "foreign" bank, I would check you too if I saw a charge from "Klook"?:smile:  So sorry, I am ignorant, what the hell is Klook?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

OMW... If I were a USA or other "foreign" bank, I would check you too if I saw a charge from "Klook"?:smile:  So sorry, I am ignorant, what the hell is Klook?

Keep Looking at Klook. ... According to the co-founder of Klook, Eric Gnock Fah, the company, which name stands for 'Keep Looking', is a one-stop-shop for travelers to explore and book a curated selection of fun-things-to-do from a skip-the-queue Hong Kong Disneyland ticket to underwater shipwreck diving adventures in Bali ...

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Keep Looking at Klook

And here's me thinkin' a klook is one o' them timepieces what goes "tick took" (picturing in my mind Billy Connolly doing that gag)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I was thinking that klook was something someone Chinese could not pronounce  - like "plick!"?