Happiness level of the Philippines compared to most of our Homelands.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/26/2019 at 4:51 AM, bastonjock said:

During winter the days are very short and this causes a problem called seasonal adjustment disorder , we also suffer from it in the UK

Yes, long winters with no sun certainly can create S.A.D.  I think I had a bit of it when I lived in Germany and Kentucky.

A girl in our German office had this bright light on her cubicle desk, and I didn't know what it was.  She explained that it was a S.A.D. light so I looked into it to find out about it.  They say it works, so I bought one.  Hers and the one I bought were this one:

HF3319_01-IMS-en_GB.jpg

I think they do work but I never had much patience to use it at home and I never brought it to work.  I have it stored away here in the Philippines.  Not sure what to do with it here!  It would be a nice workshop light if I had one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

There are two types of polls that call themselves happiness polls. One (such as the one quoted here) takes a handful of criteria like income, health care, education, etc. and makes an "objective" determination. Needless to say the Philippines won't rank highly in such a poll. The other type of poll that I see, is an annual poll of people's relative happiness as in "are you happy/unhappy with your life, etc." No surprise here either; the Philippines consistently ranks high.

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, davewe said:

The other type of poll that I see, is an annual poll of people's relative happiness as in "are you happy/unhappy with your life, etc." No surprise here either; the Philippines consistently ranks high.

Probably true for most of the Filipinos who have never left the Phils.

There are many OFWs, as well as Filipinos who have migrated to first world countries, and those who I know have told me that they're much happier when they're away from the Philippines. The only thing that they miss are the families that they've left behind.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, davewe said:

There are two types of polls that call themselves happiness polls. One (such as the one quoted here) takes a handful of criteria like income, health care, education, etc. and makes an "objective" determination. Needless to say the Philippines won't rank highly in such a poll. The other type of poll that I see, is an annual poll of people's relative happiness as in "are you happy/unhappy with your life, etc." No surprise here either; the Philippines consistently ranks high.

That makes sense because a lot of the what you mentioned health care, education, social services, etc in Nordic countries are provided by the government.  That comes of course with tax rates that quite high.

• Like 2

Rayj
Posted
Posted

19 hours ago, davewe said:

......"are you happy/unhappy with your life, etc." No surprise here either; the Philippines consistently ranks high.

The Filipinos I know always look on the bright side. In Amaerica it seems to be not “what we have” but “what more can we have”?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 10/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, Tommy T. said:

No, she is an OFW Filipina. She have been working there for many years. She has never said anything negative about the place, but then she is a quiet girl not prone to complain unless something is really bothering her. Now she just mentions that she stays in on weekends to avoid even the remotest proximity to the demonstrations - especially on the mass transit lines...

She must be extremely easy going Tom.  Regardless of the current issues, the life of an OFW is not a bed of roses.  Hong Kongers in general are very demanding of everyone, especially their employees.  Of course, there are good ones, but sadly they are a minority.  That said, there are worse places to be an OFW.  

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Hong Kongers in general are very demanding of everyone, especially their employees.  Of course, there are good ones, but sadly they are a minority.  That said, there are worse places to be an OFW.  

My friends wife, a happier Filipina than most I know, spent 2.5 years there in HK.

Her employer's were very demanding, her duties consisted of minding two young children, cooking meals, keeping up the household chores six days a week and then Sunday off. Mondays she would have all the dishes from the day before to clear, before starting over again. On top of that she could only go to bed when everybody else had, her bed was on the floor of the children's room.

Meeting my friend must of been like winning the Lottery, her employers were very annoyed when she handed her notice in.

The only saving grace was the Grandparents of the children gave her a beautiful Wedding present and a sum of money, needless to say her employers never turn up at her wedding!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

My friends wife, a happier Filipina than most I know, spent 2.5 years there in HK.

Her employer's were very demanding, her duties consisted of minding two young children, cooking meals, keeping up the household chores six days a week and then Sunday off. Mondays she would have all the dishes from the day before to clear, before starting over again. On top of that she could only go to bed when everybody else had, her bed was on the floor of the children's room.

Meeting my friend must of been like winning the Lottery, her employers were very annoyed when she handed her notice in.

The only saving grace was the Grandparents of the children gave her a beautiful Wedding present and a sum of money, needless to say her employers never turn up at her wedding!

My wife was on OFW in Hong Kong for 16 years, 15 years with the same family.  They were one of the minority very good employers BUT in my wife's last day they searched her bags before letting her leave their apartment.  That is the type of people they are - and they were one of the better employers!  I had numerous very good friends who were/are OFWs in Hong Kong - I could write a book of their stories!  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1