Christmas Tips in the Philippines

bows00
Posted
Posted

I love spending Christmas in the Philippines.  It's when the holiday spirits take over and I'm feeling overwhelmingly generous.  And since I love to eat out, I enjoying giving 20% tips.  Sometimes 50%, with a "Merry Christmas".  I even do this back home in US, but the appreciation I get here is off the charts compared to the reactions I get back home in the states.   Bottom line, your money can still bring bigger Christmas smiles here. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I surely hope that this topic doesn't turn into another tipping debate. :mocking:

Edited by Jack D
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

Put me in the Bah Humbug group :hystery:

After 7 Christmases here I am fed up with complete strangers coming up to me saying Merry xmas and sticking their hand out. Of garbage collectors coming to the gate with envelopes, of security guards at sub divisions where they normally wave a car threw, lowering the barrier and shoving a box towards the window. Of people I pass every morning on the way to buy pan de sal and don't even acknowledge my existence suddenly stand in my path and say merry xmas with an air of expediency.   Not to mention the squatter kids who trade in their JOE give me coins for a drum and a stick and badly sing songs at the gate. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Now what do I love about the season here? I love it when the kids on our street that I have seen grow up are dressed up and their moms comb their hair and bring them for mano po and a gift. Or the young girls who are now teenagers bring their boyfriends to the house to be introduced to tito Scott (the young lady gets a gift the boyfriend a lecture :hystery:). And giving those little red envelopes to the vendors who have given good service through out the year. And delivering chocolates and cookies to our usual bank tellers and the like. 

Not to worry, Dave and I have declared a cease fire LOLOLOL

Think Scott its called feeling of entitlement.......

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

Think Scott its called feeling of entitlement.......

Respectfully, I strongly completely disagree. If you knew Scott and his wife you would understand what special people they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Respectfully, I strongly completely disagree. If you knew Scott and his wife you would understand what special people they are.

Sorry i think you took this the wrong way....My comment had zero to do with Scott.

What I was saying people whom come out of the woodwork at Xmas with hands out have a feeling of entitlement.....Hope this clears it up. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Sorry i think you took this the wrong way....My comment had zero to do with Scott.

What I was saying people whom come out of the woodwork at Xmas with hands out have a feeling of entitlement.....Hope this clears it up. 

Sorry, I did get it wrong. :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
AusExpat
Posted
Posted

Second in the bah humbug group - for most of my years here I've taken off to Thailand for a month to avoid Christmas, and especially Manila Christmas shopping traffic....

On 12/27/2019 at 8:01 AM, RBM said:

Last Christmas we didn't make it overseas and went to a provincial town on Christmas day while walking along the road to meet a friend, had about 20 people dressed poorly, about half carrying small kids all standing in a group and all approaching me at once in slow motion hands out making feeding gestures -  like a zombie movie, I was stunned to say the least so I walked past them pulled out a 100P note and gave it to the old guy going through the rubbish collecting plastic to recycle - he was surprised and speechless - told him it was because he was working for his money "Have a good Christmas". I've been in this area hundreds of times and except for the old guy I've never seen any of them before.

Now for the obligatory Christmas Philippines tourism advert....

xmas-pi.jpeg

jimeve
Posted
Posted

It's Easter. :89:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic