ZX81
Posted
Posted

It was 21 days when it happened.

• 3 weeks later...
Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I did a visa run in January to Bangkok, came back into Manila after my four days of drinking and other sports, the immigration officer in Manila just asked me how long did I want to stay for this time, remembering that I have been squeaky clean in my stays over the last four years. No problems.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

An ECC is required if you have been in the Philippines over 6 months. An ECC is easily available at the airports IF you have Not Been in the Philippines Over 12 Months (ECC at airport if you fall between 6 and 12 month stay this trip). If Over 12 Months, you have to avail of the ECC from on of the major BI Offices (like Cebu, Manila and a few others. Definitely Not in Dumaguete).

Video example of ECC at NAIA Terminal 3 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
peterfe
Posted
Posted

Obviously visa runs are out of the question now for most people. There must be thousands of foreigners here whose three years is almost up and who are living with a partner, but not officially married, who must be wondering when they can return. It doesn't depend on the virus situation here, but in other countries, which may still be lumped together when things are getting better. Imagine that come August, say, Denmark has had no new cases for two months, while France is still getting new cases, would they let Danes in but not Frenchmen? Hmm... In the worst case scenario, people won't be able to come back until all Western countries have got rid of the virus.  

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, peterfe said:

Hmm... In the worst case scenario, people won't be able to come back until all Western countries have got rid of the virus.  

The other issue is that some countries (like Australia) currently have "Level 4, Red or Do Not Travel" advisories.  Australia for the first time in History has marked the entire world as Red, Do Not Travel.  So there is no travel insurance coverage, not just no corona virus coverage.

Even after the virus has mostly passed I think it will be a long time before international travel numbers get back even close to pre Covid-19 numbers.

Personally I don't think this will change until an effective, tested and widely available vaccine is in use and even then I'd think you'll need to carry proof of immunization.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 3 weeks later...
AusExpat
Posted
Posted
On 3/21/2020 at 3:59 PM, GeoffH said:

Personally I don't think this will change until an effective, tested and widely available vaccine is in use and even then I'd think you'll need to carry proof of immunization.

AG Barr shot that down today in an interview, something about too many freedoms being lost.

To the OP many people here stay for years on tourist visas, I've been doing 6-9 months a year here for for over 5 years and the immigration officials at my local office are great, no problems, but I always dress reasonably well, go in happy, if there's a problem I just smile and say OK, what do I need to do? They're always easy to work with in this office at any rate.

Only been asked what I'm doing coming to The Philippines once and that was last time in Feb just told them visiting my GF and waiting for my next contract, they were happy with that.

I have been asked several times how long I am staying for and I always say "Until my boss calls me for my next job", it's never been a problem - though I did see one Western fellow arguing with them and carrying on in January for not having an outward ticket - they still let him in, but that's not a wise choice.

PS I usually come in through Manila.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

AG Barr shot that down today in an interview, something about too many freedoms being lost.

I suspect he's correct about the USA not going down that path but AG Barr is from the USA and he's only talking about the USA.

Freedom and rights aren't a yes I have them or no I don't have them binary issue, there is a spectrum of 'freedom and rights' with countries like North Korea at one end and (mostly) the Western Democracies at the other end.

I believe that there will be countries wanting some type of official proof of vaccination, it's already been talked about in Australia and we're hardly a dictatorship. Here they are already talking about an immunization Visa which would effect inbound travel not outbound travel.  That discussion is something that will happen sooner or later.  And if enough countries go down this path then it's going to become a needed thing to travel to many places.

At the end of the day if the destination country wants proof of vaccination before issuing a Visa what can the originating country do?  Not much...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Before this virus hit it was on the Oceana's topic of transmittable diseases. Visitors had to be inoculate for certain diseases before visa's were granted, I wonder how that will go now. :thumbsup:

• Like 3