Philippines By Car

Patsada
Posted
Posted

Hi everybody,since a long time i'm planning an island-hopping trip by car. mostly to flee the horrible weather here in dec/jan, we will start mid dec doing roughly the following route:Camiguin, CdO, Dapitan, Dumaguete, Sipalay, Bacolod, IloIlo, Antique (Phaidon Beach), Boracay (NYE), Roxas (Mindoro), Pandan Island (Apo Reef), Puerto Galera, Batangas,Taal, Mt. Pinatubo, San Fernando/La Union, Baguio, Banaue, back to CdO by ship from Manila.sightseeing and diving new spots are major concerns.I really appreciate your comments, tipps and hints, the do's and don't's, and all what can be useful to make our trip a full success.:th_thanx:Patsada

ramon
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi everybody,since a long time i'm planning an island-hopping trip by car. mostly to flee the horrible weather here in dec/jan, we will start mid dec doing roughly the following route:Camiguin, CdO, Dapitan, Dumaguete, Sipalay, Bacolod, IloIlo, Antique (Phaidon Beach), Boracay (NYE), Roxas (Mindoro), Pandan Island (Apo Reef), Puerto Galera, Batangas,Taal, Mt. Pinatubo, San Fernando/La Union, Baguio, Banaue, back to CdO by ship from Manila.sightseeing and diving new spots are major concerns.I really appreciate your comments, tipps and hints, the do's and don't's, and all what can be useful to make our trip a full success.th_thanx.gif Patsada
congratulations on your intended trip, you can also continue by land from manila to albay, then matnog, sorsogon cross to allen,samar,then to tacloban in leyte, to liloan then cross to surigao the back to camiguin. travel in luzon is relaxing in the sense that they have nice roads, plenty of gas stations with good comfort rooms and accessible atm machine so no need to bring plenty of cash.while in banaue ,why not visit sagada too, see sagada cave, hanging cofffins.again have a nice vacation. Edited by Boss Man
fixed quote

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Should make for a good trip. Camera and Video-cam with plenty of memory cards, and if you have a lap top have wifi. There are always wifi spots along the way, this is so you can download loads of shot videos, pictures, and you can stay connected for needed information along the trip. It would make a great website addition. Do a web search of all major of Cities and small towns, most have maps and points of interest. Remember the problem when traveling by car, flat tires; carry an extra spare and have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
Rand
Posted
Posted

Greetings to all -- this is my first post.Patsada, I could probably help you out with the Iloilo, Antique and Boracay segments. Boracay was my home for a year and have now lived here in Iloilo 18 months. Also, my neighbor friend has a great website (goiloilo.com) with a lots of info on Iloilo, Antique and Boracay. Also, lots of photos.Just let me know what kind of things you are interested in. Iloilo has great shopping malls (similar to Cebu's). Antique is noted for being very clean, has fabulous rural scenery -- the sea coast on one side, beautifulrice fields on the other side, and scenic mountains in the background.Regards, Rand in Tigbauan, Iloilo

Patsada
Posted
Posted
Greetings to all -- this is my first post.Patsada, I could probably help you out with the Iloilo, Antique and Boracay segments. Boracay was my home for a year and have now lived here in Iloilo 18 months. Also, my neighbor friend has a great website (goiloilo.com) with a lots of info on Iloilo, Antique and Boracay. Also, lots of photos.Just let me know what kind of things you are interested in. Iloilo has great shopping malls (similar to Cebu's). Antique is noted for being very clean, has fabulous rural scenery -- the sea coast on one side, beautifulrice fields on the other side, and scenic mountains in the background.Regards, Rand in Tigbauan, Iloilo
Hi Rand, tks a lot for your interest.after spending x-mas with part of my wife's family at the Mambucal Mountain Resort on Negros, we will take a car ferry from Bacolod to Panay, where - to tell the truth - we are not so very much interested in Iloilo city itself but maybe in the famous oysters somewhere around:SugarwareZ-053:from there, we will take the south-route through Anini-y to San Jose; after that, we will spent a couple of days at the Phaidon Beach Resort near Pandan, before we go to party NYE with friends on Boracay, where I'll put feet again after 30 (thirty) years from my 1st visit (another world!).Along the road, we are free for deviations to places of interest well or less known...brgds,Patsada

Rand
Posted
Posted

Hi Rand, tks a lot for your interest.after spending x-mas with part of my wife's family at the Mambucal Mountain Resort on Negros, we will take a car ferry from Bacolod to Panay, where - to tell the truth - we are not so very much interested in Iloilo city itself but maybe in the famous oysters somewhere around:SugarwareZ-053:from there, we will take the south-route through Anini-y to San Jose; after that, we will spent a couple of days at the Phaidon Beach Resort near Pandan, before we go to party NYE with friends on Boracay, where I'll put feet again after 30 (thirty) years from my 1st visit (another world!).Along the road, we are free for deviations to places of interest well or less known...brgds,Patsada
Hello Patsada,On the way from Iloilo City along Panay's south coast you'll pass an areawith many talabahan shops around Oton. I like the area around Tigbauan, Guimbal and Miagao. We're getting ready to build a house in Tigbauan.Also, if you take the scenic coastal route via Anini-y you'll pass Nogas Island just off the south tip of the peninsula 25 km south of San Jose.Nogas Island I think has the only white sand beaches on this side of Panay. After 30 yrs you'll surely be amazed with Boracay. As I recall, in 1979the rate for overnight was 10 pesos, but very few places to stay. Have a great trip.Rand D.Tigbauan

Patsada
Posted
Posted
After 30 yrs you'll surely be amazed with Boracay. As I recall, in 1979the rate for overnight was 10 pesos, but very few places to stay.
actually, all in all we were in 12 (twelve) backpackers on the whole island, must have been May/June...... very few places to stay and even less places to eat...a lot of sandflees.....

mike
Posted
Posted
After 30 yrs you'll surely be amazed with Boracay. As I recall, in 1979the rate for overnight was 10 pesos, but very few places to stay.
actually, all in all we were in 12 (twelve) backpackers on the whole island, must have been May/June...... very few places to stay and even less places to eat...a lot of sandflees.....
We just completed the western journey from CDO to Manila. It was an adventure to say the least and I have four new tires on my wrangler jeep to make sureI reduce the probability of punctures and it worked well!!.. Did cots me a new master and slave on the clutch all in all 300 pesos, so dirt cheap.Roads to Dapitan very much ok no real problems and get better closer to Dapitan it seem seems, money for the roads there has been correctly spent.No true roll on roll off service on any of the routes spent ages going from one booth to another with various documenst. this practice was removed by presidential decree two years ago and ignored by all in an attempt at shakedowns etc for incorrect documents. The coast guard guy at Caticlan tried that with me but was very politely told that his name need to be forwarded to manila as the most outstanding coats guard officer as he is the ony one who can identify documents as faulty whan 5 other officerd have confirmed them as good. Naturally he decided to my papers were good after all. !!% hours ferry to Dumagette on the Montenegro line. Dumagette small and very busy no room as full of tricycles, road out south a mess then it get good stopped over night in Dauin Roads around south up to Bacolod where a mixture of non existent to top class B road status.Stayed in bacolod over night at hotel 100 steps from the port entrance, ferry to place north of Iloio city and then over some of the worst roads up to Caticlan, they gt better further north we got. Stayed at airport lodge like a home stay and good for an over nighter then on to ferry to Mindoro, longest of the ferry trips at over 5 hours. drove to puerto Galers stopped at white beach for two days then ferry to Batangas and home to manila.Roads are very mixed but very clear signs of huge investment and improvements most of the way around. I expect that by elections times the roads will be very much improved.went to CDO by eastern Nautical highway first time only two ferry trips instead of 5 on the western side.when driving back to CDO will experiment with the Central nautical highway which is still very embryonicIF DOT get the act together and make the RO RO a genuine RO Ro and not a beauroratic pantomime they may see an increase in self drive tourism.

Patsada
Posted
Posted

thanks a lot for your report. I will update as soon as we are on the road - next week!!

• 1 month later...
Patsada
Posted
Posted

...long not seen... after 6 weeks of traveling, since a couple of days back in Camiguin, but rainy season doesn't seem to be over yet - but good to be back home, anyway!greetings