Tom's Special

graham59
Posted
Posted

I often cook my own (similar) version of that, but add chopped microwaved potatoes,  browned in the pan with the onions, rather than the beef. I avoid red meat.  Plenty of protein in the eggs anyway, of course. 

A wide range of spices can be added too, to vary the taste.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah... And I forgot to mention that L had bought something called gilinging? It's essentially chopped up potatoes and carrots. I sauteed that too last night and added that to the dish. Never go wrong with carrots and potatoes!

It is one of those dishes that you can make with almost any additions or changes - like you have done - and it is still really tasty and nutritious!

• Love it 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

I also do something similar and it’s good way to use up leftovers in the fridge. 

You can also turn it into a Frittata - after adding the eggs, cook slightly but before the eggs set pop the pan into a preheated oven and bake (or broil) it for a few minutes (until top starts to brown).  I like to sprinkle on some grated Asiago, Extra Sharp Cheddar or Parmigiano - Reggiano cheese first. If you don’t have an oven you can cook the eggs a bit more first and then use a blow torch to brown the top and melt the cheese. Just be careful not to burn it, lol

Adding a bit of milk or heavy cream to the beaten eggs can be done too. Will make the dish richer and more like a quiche. 

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
On 4/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tommy T. said:

chanced upon the 13 Coins restaurant that a workmate had touted to me a while before. It is a great restaurant that is open 24/7 and sports gourmet food always. So I wandered in, sat down and perused the rather short, but complete menu. I chose their "Joe's Special," and was not at all disappointed.

We used to eat there after night shift sometimes, great food.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Speaking of good food.

BIG FEAST!  GUEST OF HONOR? WOW, NO WAY, SERIOUSLY? | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Haha 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Heeb said:

We used to eat there after night shift sometimes, great food.

Excellent restaurant! Long counter, high-backed booths, great food. If I remember right, it got new owners in the mid-2000s and then closed but reopened in Pioneer Square. It was never the same after it was sold.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted

It was near SeaTac when I was going there, I haven’t been since probably 2003 so I’m not sure.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Excellent restaurant! Long counter, high-backed booths, great food. If I remember right, it got new owners in the mid-2000s and then closed but reopened in Pioneer Square. It was never the same after it was sold.

1 hour ago, Heeb said:

It was near SeaTac when I was going there, I haven’t been since probably 2003 so I’m not sure.

There was one near SeaTac for a number of years plus the original one on Denny Way, I think? Not so sure about that.

Two years ago (2017 actually)  was my last visit to Seattle and, as soon as I got off my flight and picked up my rental car, I bee-lined for the SeaTac restaurant at 7 am, and it was still operating. I had the Joe's Special and it was good but did NOT seem as special as I remembered. And the price was something like $14? I'm not sure I would go back. But I loved the ambiance still.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

There was one near SeaTac for a number of years plus the original one on Denny Way, I think? Not so sure about that.

Two years ago (2017 actually)  was my last visit to Seattle and, as soon as I got off my flight and picked up my rental car, I bee-lined for the SeaTac restaurant at 7 am, and it was still operating. I had the Joe's Special and it was good but did seem as special as I remembered. And the price was something like $14? I'm not sure I would go back. But I loved the ambiance still.

I forgot the one in SeaTac. The original owner's wife opened a few places after he died. I thought she lost them all but she must have sold both 13 Coins to the same investor group. I ate at the one on Denny Way a couple of times before it changed hands. 

• Like 1