Earning a Living in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Papa Carl said:

unless I live in Canada for 2 years before applying and must reside in Canada for more than 6 months of the year.

Sounds like Australia :Mad:

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bob1965 said:

Are you sure cpp has residency requirements?

I am sure it does not have residency requirements, which is why I only mentioned OAS and GIS in my post.

EDIT:  The OAS and GIS could easily furnish some of us low income old timers with an extra $1,000 a month IF married and a resident in Canada.  I did the math and decided that pays for a plane flight to the Philippines and back once or twice a year, if i feel like going.  

But it is not for everyone.  You need a low cost option in Canada which I happen to have available to me.  Not everyone is so lucky.  

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

bob1965
Posted
Posted

Ok, good to know.
6 months in canada is a month more than I was planning. But by 65 I might be good with that. On a side note, I’ll be taking the reduced cpp  and collecting at 60. I’d rather get less when I can enjoy it more.

second side note. I should have arrived in Manila yesterday. Instead I’m at work. I hope this doesn’t last too much longer or It’ll be next year before I get back.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Sounds like Australia :Mad:

NZ is 5 Years

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, bob1965 said:

second side note. I should have arrived in Manila yesterday. Instead I’m at work. I hope this doesn’t last too much longer or It’ll be next year before I get back.

That's certainly a big possibility. 

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RBM said:

NZ is 5 Years

I read that Australia is 10 years you have to live there (not total years, they mean the previous 10)  in order to qualify.

6 months and 1 day in Australia (per tax year) qualifies as residency (at this point in time).

Edited by GeoffH

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I read that Australia is 10 years you have to live there (not total years, they mean the previous 10)  in order to qualify.

6 months and 1 day in Australia (per tax year) qualifies as residency (at this point in time).

From looking at it last year you get a percentage of the pension depending upon how long you were in Australia for during your working ages (even if you were on the dole the entire time), for me as I left Aus quite young still I'd only get about 50% of the pension when I am old enough and I'd have to live there full time for two years before I applied, then as you said 6 months + 1 day a year to continue to qualify. Add in the uncertainity of what will happen in the next 10-20 years for when I would qualify to retire......

This is why I ended up investing here, I'd rather just provide for myself than have to try living in Aus half the year on a half pension.

Just reading the https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au website, it all seems to have changed again. 

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The last time I checked if an Australian born resident has not lived there in Australia for some time then must live in Australia for 2 years before being eligible to apply for the pension.  If you remember now deceased member Chris, that was also what he needed to do to return to Australia to live there for 2 years but never got the chance.

I'm not talking about what makes you a resident Im talking about claiming the pension when not living there for sometime.

Not sure how we gt onto this subject when topic is "earning a living in the Philippines" but seems if I can beat them I may as well join them :571c66d400c8c_1(103): :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

topic is "earning a living in the Philippines" but seems if I can beat them I may as well join them :571c66d400c8c_1(103): :laugh:

Is how to 'claim a pension' while living in the Philippines part of 'earning a living' in the Philippines or not? :89:

I guess technically a pension isn't 'earned' but I've always thought of it as something you earned whilst working.

Sorry if I went off topic, it wasn't my intention.

• Like 2