Are you guys recommend me to buy a diamond ring?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Where could I buy a nice wedding ring, if I was so inclined?

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, TitoRock said:

I believe it is more common for foreigners to have a proposal ring rather than us in PH. 
Some of my friends said dont need to get but I think she will be happy if i get one.

Is she a foreigner?

Here's a link on how wedding rings became popular, hint: it's brainwashing - https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/02/how-an-ad-campaign-invented-the-diamond-engagement-ring/385376/

You'd be better off saving the money and putting it towards buying a house together, or rental apartments if you have a house. Buy a future before you waste money on trinkets.

As a mentor of mine once said "You buy lots of stuff, what do you have at the end of the day? Stuff all. Don't believe me? Try and sell it, see how much you get."

Invest in your future. Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" if you can find it online.

:)

• Like 4

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Where could I buy a nice wedding ring, if I was so inclined?

Like an apartment or barely used car, buy it second hand for MUCH cheaper.

There's a UPSCALE pawn/second hand shop in Manila called Secondo, they do verified quality jewelery and watches. There are in Glorietta 5.

https://secondo.com.ph/

• Like 1

TitoRock
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

Is she a foreigner?

Here's a link on how wedding rings became popular, hint: it's brainwashing - https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/02/how-an-ad-campaign-invented-the-diamond-engagement-ring/385376/

You'd be better off saving the money and putting it towards buying a house together, or rental apartments if you have a house. Buy a future before you waste money on trinkets.

As a mentor of mine once said "You buy lots of stuff, what do you have at the end of the day? Stuff all. Don't believe me? Try and sell it, see how much you get."

Invest in your future. Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" if you can find it online.

:)

Yes i have that book. Though haven't finished reading it yet. But in this situation , for sure i will be able to finish that book. 

She's a Filipino too. But she is working overseas. And that maybe is the reason why she have some ideas about having an engagement ring. 

I remember last time she showed me an image of her colleague's ring. 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

No. Buying a diamond is one of the worst things for you to do with money. AusExpat said it very well. Bought mine a small diamond after 10 years and she lost it after another 16. I'm surprised she didn't lose it sooner.

• Like 2

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, TitoRock said:

Run. Fast.

Find a girl who likes you not money.

Or do you love money too much too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, TitoRock said:

She's a Filipino too. But she is working overseas. And that maybe is the reason why she have some ideas about having an engagement ring. 

Good, is she paying for it?

What's the point of a ring? If you break up its gone, if she loses it well it's gone. If she wears it here she makes herself a target for a holdup. If she leaves it at home for safe keeping then runs the risk of a breakin. Also if she leaves it at home then may as well spend the money on something useful like many cases of San Mig Light.

And since she is an OFW when will you be seeing her? Probably better of to just stay the way you are. 

:popcorn:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, TitoRock said:

I would think you could best answer this question. It seems she expects an engagement ring. 

If you can't find budget for a modest engagement ring your lady friend should understand. If on the other hand she has issue with that then you know she is not the one. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Ah! there you go my friend, Unfortunately it seems that  the Status thing Comes in here. Whatever my Daughter (21) wants and we give her it Has To be bigger or better than any of here Friends, If it is not then we get the face thing. Sorry to p...s on your Parade but better you know what is what now rather than later. Remember this is the first demand (so to speak) Best of Luck My friend :wink:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst being practical is never a bad thing, don't ignore the value of romance and doing something nice - it's an investment for happiness too. Now, don't get me wrong, where happiness is dependent on the investment then RUN but the OP will know if there are other red flags.

For me, buying a ring if money allows isn't the worst idea providing this isn't just one of many demands/expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1