The New Normal (Philppine style)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We all know that things are going to change until a vaccine is developed and widely disseminated. In the states gone are Baseball, basketball, football, rock concerts and President rallies (joke guys, lighten up :hystery:)

Here in the PI Mano Po (or money Po) is gone (wonder where the kids are going to get money for candy:whistling:) crowding and cutting in line at the bakery are gone. 

On a more serious note, I read in the paper that to open up the tourist industry, things are going to change. Hotels will no longer offer buffet breakfast :boohoo:my personal favorite.

But if we take that to the logical end Buffet restaurants are a huge industry here in Manila, just along the bay by Mall of Asia I believe there are 8 big ones,,,,Vikings size. They are a mainstay for middle income Pinoy families for birthday celebrations. Reasonable price, decent menu and all you can eat. But elbow to elbow on weekends. I have to assume these are gone as we know them.

Filipino society is very "social"  in a cradle to grave sense. Huge christening parties, birthday parties, commencement parties, wedding parties and parties at funerals......

Wonder just how drastically this is going to change the culture...…….or will the new normal just be ignored :89:

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

100% sure will not Change

I hear ya Jack.

I am thinking about the parts of the culture (that a quite endearing) that involve close personal contact. Weather it be elbow to elbow in a buffet line or the Pelenke. Beso, Beso, Mano Po, Wakes, 1 year old birthday parties, graduation parties from 6th grade, having lunch with 15 batch mates. Filipinos just love large social gathers. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, scott h said:

I hear ya Jack.

I am thinking about the parts of the culture (that a quite endearing) that involve close personal contact. Weather it be elbow to elbow in a buffet line or the Pelenke. Beso, Beso, Mano Po, Wakes, 1 year old birthday parties, graduation parties from 6th grade, having lunch with 15 batch mates. Filipinos just love large social gathers. 

Well rightly or wrongly, our Locals have been having them all through, Splitting the Attenders around the houses, As we say "Where there is a will there will be a way" and these people know how to do it Culture is Culture and it is theirs, Even in Marcos's days and the Curfews of Martial Law they were still doing what ( To them I am told) is their way of Life :wink: These people will not yield to Oppression and I think we are seeing this now, They won't take on the Government or the Police but they will take it underground and that is from what I see, for them, I am not sure there will be a "New Normal" it will be Just be Today so lets Eat :cheersty:

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

My guess?

I don't think this will change the way Filipinos of existing generations act, it might cause some generational change in younger Filipinos but if it does it will take a 'generation' and we won't see change until the young are the 'in charge' generation and most of us will be pushing up daisies by then I suspect.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My tuppence -

This has gone on for about 2-3 months - lockdowns all over the world are being loosened, rightly or wrongly.  It's safe to assume that there is an urgency to get back to normal.  I suspect we will see the strictness of social distancing etc slowly, or not so slowly, diminishing pretty quickly.  I cannot see this having a significant long-term impact on how we live.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Morning Guy's

Although there are no immediate plans to loosen the lockdown here in UK, I just can't see industry or Commerce ever going back to normal by the way they are proposing to continue social distancing!

Normal day to day business and social interaction requires close contact in many ways, for weeks now I have not seen actual cash pass hands, surely that cannot become the norm?

Human contact and even in the animal world personal contact is part life, virus or no virus, eventually people the world over will start to realise that life as we know it must return at any cost financially or otherwise.....

just my thoughts having watched the latest information unfold. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

Wonder just how drastically this is going to change the culture...…

Or change the tourism industry, which is a large part of the culture. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

2 hours ago, Shady said:

Or change the tourism industry, which is a large part of the culture. 

Welcome to the forum Shady

Maybe an introduction to your being in Philippines whether as a tourist or a more permanent basis will give us a better understanding when you post. Enjoy the forum. :thumbsup:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic