Need rain? Ambo is coming!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:rolleyes: Let's be careful what we wish for G & G's Sudden Rainfall will raise/wake up the Mosquito and if we are not ready, do we need  a rise in dengue on top of all that is happening, Just a thought :tiphat: 

You are right.  I always keep my Baygon handy and the mosquito screens are already hanging over the bed.  Just need to open them up when the little buggers reappear. 

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Distant thunder here in northern Mindanao. Haven’t had rain in weeks. The farmers are praying for rain!

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think the rain mentioned so far is directly related to the storm, according to the current path.  We also had rain about 3 out of the last 5/6 nights.

This is the latest path.  Typhoon strength starting Friday when it hits Bicol area.

Screenshot (137).png

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Not much rain here in my part of Davao, in spite of forecasts. The humidity is about 700% though, and it's cloudy and dreary.

I've been getting lightning warnings from my weather app for three days but haven't seen any lightning (can't comment on far-off thunder with my ears).

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

We've had squalls of rain here for the last 2 nights. If this Tropical depression pays off, I'm going to go out in the rain in my backyard, shorts, flip flops and all with my son and let it rain on us. Getting hot here in Cavite.:dance:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We had a couple of hours of heavy rain and light thunder. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Not much rain here in my part of Davao, in spite of forecasts. The humidity is about 700% though, and it's cloudy and dreary.

I've been getting lightning warnings from my weather app for three days but haven't seen any lightning (can't comment on far-off thunder with my ears).

We have seen lots of storms passing by - mainly to the west toward Mt. Apo. For the past two afternoons we have heard lots of fairly distant thunder and seen lots of lightning flashes.

Two nights ago there was a heavy rain without lightning or thunder and it flooded the street as usual. Generally it has been rather dry here except - as with you - for the heavy humidity. We have bailed out and used the air/con some afternoons - especially when I am cooking or baking. And the air/con in the bedroom often cannot reach the 22 degree setting. The walls get hot from the sun so it is like an oven at times... Oh well... better than being so cold my nostril hairs freeze!

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We have seen lots of storms passing by - mainly to the west toward Mt. Apo. For the past two afternoons we have heard lots of fairly distant thunder and seen lots of lightning flashes.

Two nights ago there was a heavy rain without lightning or thunder and it flooded the street as usual. Generally it has been rather dry here except - as with you - for the heavy humidity. We have bailed out and used the air/con some afternoons - especially when I am cooking or baking. And the air/con in the bedroom often cannot reach the 22 degree setting. The walls get hot from the sun so it is like an oven at times... Oh well... better than being so cold my nostril hairs freeze!

It could very well have rained heavily at night without me realizing it. Or it may have missed us. I've noticed, from being caught in it while at GMall, that it can rain like crazy in Toril yet be much lighter over our house just a few kms away. I think it's a natural zone over that way.

We've been putting on the AC in the afternoon as well. We only use the one in the master bedroom because it's where the PC is (and where I am). I normally put it on 26 or 27 just to take the moisture out of the air. I've never had it set lower than 23. Just this morning I woke up frozen with it on 25 and M had her microfiber blanket pulled completely over her head. :huh:

Six years and I've only half-acclimated to heat.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The storm has been gaining strength.  Over 200 kph now.  Predicted for 200-240 when it hits Samar this afternoon!

Screenshot (139).png

• Sad 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From what I read one dead and lot of damage in Eastern Samar.

Here in Cebu city not even rain which is needed here. 

https://www.the-messenger.com/news/world/article_25cca19e-87b1-5aeb-85be-923eceeee7ab.html

Spoiler

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Strong winds and rain from Typhoon Vongfong left at least one person dead and damaged hundreds of homes and coronavirus isolation facilities along with rice and corn fields in five hard-hit eastern towns, a governor said Friday.

Gov. Ben Evardone of Eastern Samar province, where the typhoon slammed ashore, said distraught residents wept after their houses were destroyed or blown away in the towns he inspected. One villager who lost his home slashed his wrist but was treated in time, he said.

A man bled to death after he was hit by glass shards in a school building he was trying to open to take shelter in, Evardone said.

“The damage I saw was very extensive. The roof of one church was ripped off completely, its iron bars twisted badly by the typhoon,” Evardone said by telephone.

Videos and pictures of the devastation sent by Evardone showed several low-slung buildings and sports centers either destroyed or badly damaged with their roofs peeled off or deformed and their iron trusses bent. Villagers outside damaged houses yelled “help” in one video.

He said he and a group of military, police and local authorities failed to reach two towns hit by the typhoon, Jipapad and Maslog, due to fallen trees on the road. Cellphone and two-way radio communications to the far-flung areas were down and Evardone appealed to the military to deploy a helicopter to inspect them and deliver food if troops are unable to reach the area by Saturday.

In the outlying region of Bicol, northwest of Eastern Samar, more than 145,000 people were riding out the weakening typhoon in emergency shelters on Friday after a mass evacuation that was complicated and slowed by the coronavirus.

Vongfong weakened into a severe tropical storm after hitting land and was blowing northwest toward the populous main northern island of Luzon, government forecasters said.

Its maximum sustained wind speed dropped to 110 kilometers (68 miles) per hour with gusts of 150 kph (93 mph) but it remained dangerous, especially in coastal and low-lying villages, forecasters said. Vongfong was expected to blow out of the country’s north on Sunday.

Office of Civil Defense Director Claudio Yucot said the evacuations took time because workers needed to wear masks and protective suits and could not transport villagers to shelters in large numbers as a safeguard against the virus.

“Our ease of movement has been limited by COVID,” Yucot said by telephone from Albay province in the Bicol region, which has had dozens of coronavirus infections, including four deaths, and remains under quarantine. “In the evacuation centers, there are more challenges.”

In an evacuation room which normally could shelter up to 40 families, only four families could be accommodated. The occupants should know each other and are required to report any infected person, Yucot said.

The coast guard said more than 600 cargo truck drivers and workers were stranded by the travel suspension. All were required to wear masks and prohibited from mingling.

The typhoon hit as the Philippines struggles to deal with coronavirus outbreaks, largely with a lockdown in Luzon that is to be eased this weekend, except in metropolitan Manila and two other high-risk areas. The rest of the country will be placed in less restrictive quarantine, and crucial businesses will partially reopen starting next week.

The Philippines has reported more than 12,000 cases, including 806 deaths, among the highest in Southeast Asia.