Europe is opening up, but nowhere else (?)

peterfe
Posted
Posted

Well, that's some consolation. Thanks Geoff, you really are a mine of information! :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, peterfe said:

But if it only works for 7 out of 10 people, does that mean we're going to be wearing masks and keeping 1-2 metres away from others for ever? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

What if only only 7 of 10, or 4 of 10, elect to get the shot?   It will be an especially challenging decision for those who already have had the virus and recovered.  Am I immune or still susceptible to a new strain, would it even work for a new strain?  How about for your young children who (so far) have not experienced the deaths and difficulties of older folks.   How long will people put off getting the vaccine to see if it is "safe".   How many people think no vaccine is safe?  I am afraid we are still looking at a long rough road.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mike J said:

What if only only 7 of 10, or 4 of 10, elect to get the shot?   It will be an especially challenging decision for those who already have had the virus and recovered.  Am I immune or still susceptible to a new strain, would it even work for a new strain?  How about for your young children who (so far) have not experienced the deaths and difficulties of older folks.   How long will people put off getting the vaccine to see if it is "safe".   How many people think no vaccine is safe?  I am afraid we are still looking at a long rough road.

Many in my brother's immediate family work in health care as doctors and nurses. They have already stated that they would prefer to wait until the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine is better established.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Many in my brother's immediate family work in health care as doctors and nurses. They have already stated that they would prefer to wait until the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine is better established.

Which is a perfectly valid and reasonable choice.  I don't think they'll have to wait that long before any common (or even less common) side effects of the competing vaccines are known (if there are any) because I expect a rush on the various vaccines.  Someone waiting 12 months (or even 6 months) would almost certainly be in a better position to be able to judge that.

I've got comorbidities which suggest that the chances of my developing serious illness if I contract the virus are significantly higher than not only the general public but also most people my age.  That swings the pendulum towards the vaccine for me personally but I get where a younger and/or healthier person might choose differently.

I honestly believe people (and businesses and schools) should be free to choose to vaccinate, to choose not to vaccinate, to require vaccination for entry to their property or to not require vaccination to enter their property.  My only caveat to that is I suspect that health insurers won't be covering Covid caused illness without proof of vaccination (but then that's their right as a business too).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I've got comorbidities which suggest that the chances of my developing serious illness if I contract the virus are significantly higher than not only the general public but also most people my age.  That swings the pendulum towards the vaccine for me personally but I get where a younger and/or healthier person might choose differently.

I also have comorbidities and will wait to ensure it is SAFE for someone with my comorbidities.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, earthdome said:

I also have comorbidities and will wait to ensure it is SAFE for someone with my comorbidities.

Like I said... it is entirely your choice (as it should be).

I’m not trying to change your mind ( well unless it’s about the correct way to say Z ) :hystery:

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic