Something resembling good coffee?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

This Artisan's Breakfast Blend is available in many places around the Philippines for about 350 pesos a bag.  I used it whenever i could not get Folgers (occasionally available at rip-off prices but whatyagonnado)

EDIT:  It comes as whole beans but most stores will grind it for you.  However if you buy it online you better have your own grinder.

Artisans Breakfast Blend.jpg

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jay Smith
Posted
Posted

I have a good burr grinder and a good coffee maker so I could grind beans if needed. I like espresso, but mainly what I want is some fresh but already ground beans that aren't flavored - and I'd really like something from the Philippines. I could have my daughter send me Stumptown Hairbender if it came to it.

Barako huh? OK I'll look for that - thanks! Rob, that's only 1.5 gallons? That's the size of my cup...my coffee pot needs to be a little larger...

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Jay Smith
Posted
Posted

BTW, BP is 110/80 although they sometimes comment on the strange brown color when they draw for testing...

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jay Smith said:

Anyone have any suggestions for some decent, local, real-not-instant coffee? (Please dont say buy it at Starbucks :571c66d400c8c_1(103): ) - I'm in Ormoc City and thanks for the ideas

Okay okay... I really prefer Starbucks coffee... I'll admit that.

However... a few weeks ago L and I were on a road trip and stopped in at a 7-11. L went in and bought us both whatever they sell - black. It was actually surprisingly good! I was impressed. I have bought some Philippine coffees and am not so impressed. It just tastes weak to me with little character.... 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Your local wet market will have ground native coffee. That's what the locals drink. I use that in a one cup aeropress that tastes better than I get at restos. It is seldom fresh at restos. Ask around and look around, you might find places like Coffee Culture or Little Farmer that sells various beans or ground (Kalinga is good), even that bat shit stuff.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/aeropress-reg-coffee-espresso-maker/126430?skuId=17429019&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand__&product_id=17429019CA&enginename=google&adpos=&creative=259324461259&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000040549851&utm_adgroupid=58700004338901969&targetid=92700036666444100&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Pa62Lyl7AIVB4bICh1-UAWZEAkYBSABEgKzuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Think if one looks around Ormoc there will be plenty of beans available. We buy Arabica Robosco and Excelsa  beans, grind as required, make our own mixes. For late PM coffee enjoy trung nguyen Vietnamese which is avaailable on lazada or shoppe.

Grinders are available pretty much anywhere.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I've had plenty of Hawaiian Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain, which are generally thought to be some of the best coffees in the world. In my opinion Philippines coffee compares favorably to those. I don't understand why Philippines coffee is not available in the US.

What's the best thing about coffee?

It's legal!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The lowlands are more of an instant coffee culture the mountains where coffee is grown is more of a coffee culture. My inlaws always have a thermos full of hot local coffee. Even helped my father in law roast some beans then he turned them into a coffee powder using a very large mortar and pestle. When I lived in Baguio I could buy whole beans for a number of different local varieties from SM market and they would grind them for me if I wanted.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm a 3in 1 man myself.  Never been much of a coffee man as it disagrees with my stomach. Always good for a clear out before I go for a jog. :1927_:

• Haha 2