Building a small bar in garden

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted

Good morning everyone, hope you are enjoying your weekend! 
I’m thinking of building a small bar in my garden no bigger than 4m x 3m and a small seating area next to it.
I was wondering if anyone else built one here in Philippines?
Just a few questions:

- Do I need a building permit to build a small bar this size?

- How much is estimated cost to build? Thinking of just using hallow blocks / concrete & keeping it simple.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Darren_UK said:

- Do I need a building permit to build a small bar this size?

This is not legal advice... However, from my observations here, I would not worry about a building permit. It seems that even large homes constructed here do not have building permits.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Our HOA is the gatekeeper in terms of what people can and cannot build. Basically, we go to the HOA office and tell them what we are planning and they will say yes or no. If it's a yes they will advise if any building permit is required. If the HOA say no then you will have a problem bringing in materials as the security gate will stop you. 

Now, how honest people are when talking to the HOA is another matter. A neighbour has effectively built an upstairs extension stage by stage without planning permits - a roof terrace became a roof terrace with a roof, then half walls and last week windows were installed!

My observation is you can do what you like if nobody complains but there is a risk of issues down the line - no different to our own country maybe.

• Like 2

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

This is not legal advice... However, from my observations here, I would not worry about a building permit. It seems that even large homes constructed here do not have building permits.

Yes that is what I was thinking. I have friends here that have built a house and extensions without a permit but just wanted to put on here to see what the general consensus is. 

Darren_UK
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

From previous information/ investigation from the Dumaguete Planning Office, you can build what you want within your boundary walls to a maximum of 2.5 meters, anything over that will need permission, extensions to a house are OK to a maximum of 3 meters as long as it is Not permanent, so a two story permanent extension will need permission  Such is my answer But as always, interpretation of this is a very Local  issue :wink:

The bar will be 2.5m high, 3m wide and 4m long. But as you said I think the Municipal / Local government / Barangay have different rules and regulations. 
But like Tommy said many buildings / houses here do not have permits.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That's a lovely trellis over the table area. Could you grow some sort of flowering vines over the trellis to provide shade along with a retractable awning cover for when it rains? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Darren_UK said:

But like Tommy said many buildings / houses here do not have permits.

In my experience, what they did have was corrupt officials showing up when the house was finished and explaining that no permit was issued but they could "fix" that for a fee.  Disclaimer:  This does not happen in all cases, but in enough cases to make things interesting.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In my experience, what they did have was corrupt officials showing up when the house was finished and explaining that no permit was issued but they could "fix" that for a fee.  Disclaimer:  This does not happen in all cases, but in enough cases to make things interesting.

Not corrupt just thirsty and in that case Darren would have the perfect place to negotiate. :7500::shooter:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2