13A Visa - Applying in the US vs. Applying in the Philippines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Great info!  Thanks for sharing!  I'm sure many will benefit!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The process slows quite a bit if you get an NBI "hit" because you have the same name as someone wanted "in connection with a homicide" and numerous other charges.  Believe me, when they call in the detective, that will put a serious pucker in your shorts. :Caught:

Shady
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, DaveB said:

There is an expedited process that takes 3 weeks, but it costs nearly $1000. 

How long does the regular slow process take?

19 hours ago, DaveB said:

to get my 9A, I had to submit full financial info previously required for the 13A.

Meaning if you're already on a 9a, financial records aren't required for a 13a if done within the PH? It's only in your San Fran requirements.

graham59
Posted
Posted

A most helpful post DaveB. 

Many thanks . :smile:

DaveB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

The process slows quite a bit if you get an NBI "hit" because you have the same name as someone wanted "in connection with a homicide" and numerous other charges.  Believe me, when they call in the detective, that will put a serious pucker in your shorts. :Caught:

Yeah...I considered that...you could be dancing if your name is John Jones.  Fortunately, my name is Floyd Braaten...and in all of Washington State there was only one other of those.  So I'm low risk...assuming no one stole my identity.  Little spooky that I have a 33 year history coming and going here.  Who knows what's out there.

• Like 1

DaveB
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

How long does the regular slow process take?

Meaning if you're already on a 9a, financial records aren't required for a 13a if done within the PH? It's only in your San Fran requirements.

I THINK i remember the fixer saying the 13A takes about 6 weeks.  From past posts I had heard that the ACR takes about 6 months...however, the fixer was telling me he had one client who had been waiting 8 months so far.  

As for the financial records...yeah...they were required for the 9A visa and not requested here for the 13A (but I had them with me, along with all the medical stuff, just in case because I was suspicious that the local application was so simplified...didn't quite trust what I was reading off the website.)

I'd like to insert a little assumption that the PI government noted some info was redundant and streamlined the 13A accordingly.  It would have been a little out of character for them to do so, but I'm happy to spot them the benefit of the doubt. 

I do want to repeat what I hope is obvious.  My tale is more the overview of the "lesson learned" about working paper processes and dealing with local twists on the tale.  I don't want anyone to think I'm some kind of great expert on BI processes in the Philippines - this is how it worked for me, and I'd bet there's a dozen or more variations on the specifics across the country.  I think the message to carry forward: go into it with the idea that the best way to address these things is get a package together and consider it a strawman, present it, then get a definitive set of changes to make and come back with the final set with some confidence you now have it right.

• Like 5

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)

Great info Dave.  I was going to do a post on this very subject after I get my ACR card but you hit most (if not all) of the things involved.

I will still probably add to this topic later though as I did my VISA while I was in the USA.

Great Job!😀

Edited by Balisidar
More info

strap
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the detailed information Dave! If we can ever get over there, we will probably be going through the same process in Angeles.

So, do you anticipate being able to complete the entire process in Angeles, without any trips to Manila?

DaveB
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, strap said:

Thank you for the detailed information Dave! If we can ever get over there, we will probably be going through the same process in Angeles.

So, do you anticipate being able to complete the entire process in Angeles, without any trips to Manila?

We almost had to go to Manila.  The guy who initially screened our documents was baffled by my wife's dual citizenship certificate.  One of the documents you note above was she had to provide a government issued ID.  Right across the top of the dual citizenship certificate it says "Certificate of Identification".  He said we had to go to Intramuros to get that validated.  My wife argued with him.  He finally went in and got an immigration officer who came out and looked at it and immediately said it was acceptable.  Whenever dealing with people tasked to review a standard solution, they only know to accept what they've been told to accept.  If you strongly believe they just aren't informed, ask for someone up the chain to take a look.  Politely.  That same officer clarified our confusion over the NBI background check.

• Like 3