Encouraging news from BI today ?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Heeb said:

I'm just repeating what I hear on the news as far as the "Covid19 vaccination" even here on GMA  that it only reduces the symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

So basically it's been a massive misrepresentation.  Scary.  Invalidates the idea of a "covid passport" if I understand the article correctly.  

Heeb
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

So basically it's been a massive misrepresentation.  Scary.  Invalidates the idea of a "covid passport" if I understand the article correctly.  

It appears so, this only applies to early versions of the "vaccines" I believe, I don't think they really have all the answers, a lot of it is speculation because they didn't have enough time to run proper studies, so it's still possible that the vaccinated may not be spreaders, I sure hope that's the case, the world is getting antsy. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure we've been misled - if you read below the headlines it was always said that the vaccine may not prevent spread, rather the effects of the spread.  As far as I'm aware, it's not being said what the position is as they simply don't have the data yet to know.  That's one of the compromises we have to accept in order to get the vaccine out there way, way more quickly than would normally be the case.

Anyway, what to do?  

graham59
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

From what I understand the vaccinations only limits the severity of the Covid19 infection, a person can still catch the virus and is still capable of spreading it, which might make the temperature and symptoms check useless, so a person who has Covid19 could fly into the country with a Covid passport, have no symptoms and still become a super spreader.

I nothing about the vaccines...and the many and varied views on it just give me a bloody headache. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

So... (fortunately) I just continue to potter about in my garden, here in the Phils.  :cheersty:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

From what I understand it's not as black and white as that... there seems to be a range of responses to the vaccines and the immune response varies from person to person.

There still needs to be more research done but at this point in time it seems likely that some people will achieve a full immune response and will be both symptom free and not shedding virus, other people with a weaker immune response will be symptom free but could go on to become infectious (although very likely due to the lesser degree of symptoms they will also be shedding less virus).

And there will no doubt be differences in the immune responses in people between different vaccines as well which will complicate things further.

I'm sure we'll know more detail in a few months once the vaccines are in widespread use rather than their initial roll out.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Heeb said:

It appears so, this only applies to early versions of the "vaccines"

:89: OH! and there was me thinking that this Topic was about  " encouraging news from the BI"

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: OH! and there was me thinking that this Topic was about  " encouraging news from the BI"

LOL, name one topic that has never gone off topic Jack. :tongue:

I'm probobly one of the worst offenders. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Old55 said:

LOL, name one topic that has never gone off topic Jack. :tongue:

I'm probobly one of the worst offenders. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

:whatever: I rest my case then :wink:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Heeb said:

I'm just repeating what I hear on the news as far as the "Covid19 vaccination" even here on GMA  that it only reduces the symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

I think it is important to read a very salient paragraph in that article before we assume the worst.  My emphasis on the font change in the sentence.

If vaccinated people are silent spreaders of the virus, they may keep it circulating in their communities, putting unvaccinated people at risk.

• 4 weeks later...
DaveB
Posted
Posted

Amen to the perspective that it is a good long term solution.  Certainly not flawless, but at least as good as current restrictions on moderating the infection spread, with the badly needed relief for the economy thrown in.

My problem, as noted by others, is that it is a LONG term solution.  I'm in the US, having come back to ship my household goods to my nice one year leased house in Angeles City and see my kids for the holidays.  Three days before my return, the door slammed shut...supposedly until Jan 15 - which is today Manila time.  And still stone cold silence from the BI on what's next..

I've been hoping for something like "you can now enter but only if you have a recent COVID test".  I can work that.  But I've been worried that the solution will be "you can enter but only if vaccinated".  I'm months away from being on a vaccination list, and my wife, being younger is even longer (though as a Filipina she can work around it with the current rules).;

I'm all for the long term solution.  What I need now is the interim solution that gets me back to the life I started living in the Philippines.  Doesn't make much sense to me to restrict spouses and let in wives - if I've got the bug, so does she - to say nothing of letting in OFWs.  They need to get real - that new strain of COVID is already in the Philippines.  They need to focus on methods to detect and contain it and I'll play by any rules they come up with.  Just define the blasted rules.

• Like 5