Trying to avoid Quarantine (He thought) but it seems all went well in the end

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A little light relief;

*** Covid: Man jailed for Scotland-Isle of Man water scooter crossing.

McLaughlan, from North Ayrshire, made the crossing despite having never driven a water scooter before.

He admitted arriving unlawfully on the island and was jailed for four weeks.

Under the island's current laws, only non-residents given special permission are allowed to enter the Isle of Man.

McLaughlan, of Warrix Avenue in Irvine, was previously given permission to work as a roofer on the island for four weeks in September and, after isolating for 14 days, met his girlfriend on a night out.

The court heard his subsequent applications to return had been rejected.;

Very real risk'

Prosecutors said the 28-year-old bought the vehicle and set off on the journey of about 25 miles (40km), which he had expected to take 40 minutes.

After he arrived in Ramsey at about 13:00 GMT, he walked another 15 miles (25km) to his girlfriend's home in Douglas, who believed he had been on the island working for several weeks, the court was told.;

The following afternoon, he gave a police officer her address as his own and that evening, the couple went to two busy nightclubs.

Following identification checks, police arrested him on Sunday evening.

In mitigation, the 28-year-old's defence advocate said he suffered from depression and was not coping with being unable to see his partner.

Sentencing him, Deputy High Bailiff Christopher Arrowsmith said McLaughlan had made a "deliberate and intentional attempt to circumnavigate" the border restrictions, potentially putting the community at risk.

He said the "carefully planned" journey had also put the 28-year-old "at very real risk" of harm.

Speaking after the hearing, a government spokesman said following an investigation, public health officials were "satisfied" there was "no wider risk to the public".***

I guess you just can't fix Stupid :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Bloody Scots will do anything to avoid the ferry fare!

Safety concerns more like

Jocks probably built the ferry

• Haha 3

baronapart
Posted
Posted

“Lack of pussy makes you brave, man!” Reggie Hammond

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Could be all false as no link to the story. Could also be a copyright infringement without a link. 

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Could be all false as no link to the story. Could also be a copyright infringement without a link. 

Its real

BBC radio 2 been having a laugh about it all day

Lighten up guys it's a crazy real sty

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Thinking with the little head? :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, baronapart said:

“Lack of pussy makes you brave, man!” Reggie Hammond

also know as

lackofnookie............................

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Link for you;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-isle-of-man-55280466?fbclid=IwAR2hAY8wkf6OsYd3ZF4ZemvgUldy4QvtU_yh1mjzhWOpy1VsU5cpu2lt02w

As I said, damned if I do Damned if I don't

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It wasn't a 'water scooter' (which is an electric thing divers use to pull them along that does about 3 kilometers per hour), it was a jet ski (most of which will do at least 80kph). 

At first I thought 'no way can this be real' but when I found out 'jet ski' I changed my mind.  People have driven jet skis between Melbourne and Devenport, Tasmania and that's one of the rougher stretches of water in the world (not that the Isle of Mann is smooth either, my last ferry crossing to there had most of the passengers throwing up).

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic