Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Good for you Tommy!

• Thanks 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Looking good Tommy!  We have Okra, pechay and Napa cabbage coming out of our ears.  Just made another batch of kimchee and Okra pickles.  Tomatoes are coming along as well as peppers.  Starting to harvest our green beans now also.

Love gardening in this climate.  As long as I keep up with the weeding.  Neighbors garden also so we trade vegetables.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Tonight I will bake the half squash (we gave half to our weekly worker) with butter and brown sugar... We are so delighted to be able to provide some of our own food...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I love being able to grow our own food now! So, I agree with your feelings... But now it will rain again soon, so I must close up the house...

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Tonight I will bake the half squash (we gave half to our weekly worker) with butter and brown sugar... We are so delighted to be able to provide some of our own food...

Agree Tommy 100% even we have just a terrace, my partner is learning hydroponics and we are self sufficient in all herbs we need plus now lettuces. Great feeling and lastly surprised you have the time with home build, well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Agree Tommy 100% even we have just a terrace, my partner is learning hydroponics and we are self sufficient in all herbs we need plus now lettuces. Great feeling and lastly surprised you have the time with home build, well done.

There are a number of members here who grow their own veggies and herbs, and it's nice to see and compare. You are doing great with your terrace plantings!

Well, the home build is "virtually" done. We had some good painters doing finishing touches last week. And we will hire them back to paint the cabinetry and other last minute improvements.

We had a welder here for a day and L flat did not like him. His work was not really bad, but we both needed to keep an eye on him and steer him along. He did not seem motivated and seemed light on "street smarts," as I call them.

The electrician is good but very busy, so we get him here when we can.

We also have a guy who is sort of a deluxe handy-man. He is a carpenter by trade, but is starting to do contract work. We had him here a week ago to fix some persistent leaks from the roofs. He has got them all but two very tiny leaks that only appear when there is a real gully washer rainstorm.

So now there is leisure time (when L is working at school or otherwise pre-occupied). I dote on the plants and probably over-water. I don't have a green thumb like my Dad did, but I manage to not kill most of our charges here. I mostly take care of the veggies and L mostly with decorative plants - lots of Chinese bamboo and some tropical things I know nothing about. She also takes care of the Filipino veggies. She grew up on a farm in the country and so - along with her other knowledge and skills - is great with plants.

The talisay trees are growing rapidly now and filling in the empty space in the back of the property. The cacao are moving along and the neem trees are growing, but slowly. I enjoy walking around and checking our progress...

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I realize that horseradish and squash are different veggies. But I thought I would try this topic as a starting point.

Now that we are semi-professional gardeners, I was hoping someone might have found horseradish seeds somewhere? I never did find any condiments with horseradish as a main ingredient, so reckon I might have to grow my own. There's just nothing quite like it for flavouring a nice roast beef!

I grew it back in Seattle and it actually became a bit of a pest - it spread all over and I had to cut it back and keep an eye on it or it would have taken over the entire yard!

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hi Tommy,

I believe you can get horseradish seeds from Lazada or shopee.  I've found most of my gardening stuff from there.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Don't forget to purchase 1 kilo of nightcrawlers (earthworms).  They will help aerate the garden soil and leave behind a wonderful fertilizer.  Check around your community for a source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1