Norwegian man killed inside his house in Biliran, Naval

starlet
Posted
Posted

Naval, Biliran – The local police in the capital town in the Province of Biliran are conducting a thorough investigation over the alleged shooting to death of a Norwegian National inside their house about 10:25 in the evening last night Wednesday (Mar 31) in Sitio Kahukaw, Brgy. Villa Caneja here

https://www.biliranisland.com/blogs/2021/04/01/norwegian-national-found-dead/

Other sources:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1413820/norwegian-national-found-dead-inside-house-in-biliran

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1890574/Tacloban/Local-News/Norwegian-63-found-dead-with-gunshot-wound-in-Biliran

A question - if I may - to our Forum Members who currently reside in The Philippines:

I was wondering when I read about these tragic stories: -is it more crime there now during the pandemic than before (pre Covid-19)?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, starlet said:

Naval, Biliran – The local police in the capital town in the Province of Biliran are conducting a thorough investigation over the alleged shooting to death of a Norwegian National inside their house about 10:25 in the evening last night Wednesday (Mar 31) in Sitio Kahukaw, Brgy. Villa Caneja here

https://www.biliranisland.com/blogs/2021/04/01/norwegian-national-found-dead/

Other sources:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1413820/norwegian-national-found-dead-inside-house-in-biliran

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1890574/Tacloban/Local-News/Norwegian-63-found-dead-with-gunshot-wound-in-Biliran

A question - if I may - to our Forum Members who currently reside in The Philippines:

I was wondering when I read about these tragic stories: -is it more crime there now during the pandemic than before (pre Covid-19)?

First of all, the crime above is not likely to be the type of violent crime that occurs more often due to Covid, I'd imagine it's more petty crimes. Whilst I have no personal experience to say crime is more prevalent now due to Covid, hearsay says it is.  In our community we've certainly not seen an increased level of crime but that's a small sample size.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted

"Hot Pursuit." Someone has been watching too many Western movies))))

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

If my mind serves me right wasn't there a foreigner shot there in broad daylight a few years bak by a guy on a motorcycle.  He had been arguing with some local bigwigs over a land dispute. I think this is the 4th foreigner killed in Biliran.

Edited by Snowy79

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I've been looking at several Philippines news sources almost every day for more than 20 years. Murders happen with regularity. In a few cases a suspect gets arrested. I've never ever read of someone actually being convicted of a murder (or anything else). My in-laws in the Cebu police say it just doesn't get into the news.

What do you think?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I've been looking at several Philippines news sources almost every day for more than 20 years. Murders happen with regularity. In a few cases a suspect gets arrested. I've never ever read of someone actually being convicted of a murder (or anything else). My in-laws in the Cebu police say it just doesn't get into the news.

What do you think?

I have not heard or read of a single "vigilante" type murder/execution type crime ever being solved.  When I say vigilante killing, I am referring to; two guys on a motorcycle, covered plates, masks, multiple shots, ride off.  Person shot was "suspected" to be involved in the drug trade.

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

If my mind serves me right wasn't there a foreigner shot there in broad daylight a few years bak by a guy on a motorcycle.  He had been arguing with some local bigwigs over a land dispute. I think this is the 4th foreigner killed in Biliran.

Correct, was a Kiwi, the problem was over access to his land, or land he purchased.. From a bad memory think  the big wig was councilor. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Who knows the true facts of that case ? Dead men don't talk.  :(

Can't be repeated too often though:

Keep a low profile.

Don't piss off the locals. Don't screw their wives/girlfriends. 

Probably will cost p5000 to have you rubbed out.

The case will never be solved. I'll be happy to hear of one that has, and perps jailed. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Who knows the true facts of that case ?

The last 3 foreigners were murdered over land disputes.  I'm gonna go with the odds here and believe this if more of the same.  But true facts in a murder case?  People still get released (in some countries) 20 years after the crime as they are found to have not been guilty.  The truth is seldom ever known.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/3/2021 at 7:17 AM, Mike J said:

I have not heard or read of a single "vigilante" type murder/execution type crime ever being solved.  When I say vigilante killing, I am referring to; two guys on a motorcycle, covered plates, masks, multiple shots, ride off.  Person shot was "suspected" to be involved in the drug trade.

Hmm I have read quite a few people charged with murder vigilante style. What happens after that who knows and these are usually people who have some substance here like mayors or lawyers shot dead.

• Like 1