Philippine House bill seeks to make Covid vaccine mandatory

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I am actually surprised that someone was willing to introduce this bill.  I see zero chance of it being passed. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/house-bill-seeks-make-covid-19-vaccination-mandatory-philippines

A House bill filed on Monday, April 26, seeks to make vaccination against COVID-19 mandatory amid vaccine hesitancy in the Philippines.

House Bill No. 9252 or the proposed COVID-19 Vaccination Program Act of 2021 would mandate "science- and evidence-based" inoculation for persons "as may be determined" by the Department of Health (DOH).

The bill was filed by Cavite 4th District Representative Elpidio Barzaga Jr, who said in a statement that "the State is mandated to make rules and regulations to protect the lives of the majority of its citizens."

Barzaga proposed that exemptions only cover those with medical conditions and people deemed by doctors as safer without inoculation.

Under the bill, the DOH may review the recommendation of doctors to assess if "the standard of medical care for a particular medical condition" was followed.

The bill was filed after local surveys showed that Filipinos remain hesitant to take a COVID-19 vaccine. In a survey conducted from February to March, pollster Pulse Asia reported that 61% of Filipino respondents said "no"  to getting inoculated.

In a separate forum on Monday morning, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH stands by the recommendation of experts to give people the right to choose whether or not they will get vaccinated.

Vergeire said the idea of making vaccination mandatory had been raised by higher officials before the Philippines launched its COVID-19 immunization campaign last March. But it was not enforced, based on recommendations from the World Health Organization and its Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization to keep the process "purely voluntary."

"We know we each have this obligation – what we call a moral obligation – that when we get vaccinated, we think not only of ourselves, but our loved ones, our community, and the whole population because we want to achieve herd immunity. But at this stage...with vaccines still in the developmental stage, we cannot mandate people to accept these vaccines because they are not really [fully] completed yet," Vergeire said in a mix of English and Filipino.

She continued, "We adhere to the principle that the benefits outweigh the risks, and that's why we are offering it to the population. But it will be their right to decide if they will receive this or not, based on how we explain this (COVID-19 vaccination) to them."

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Respect the intentions of this bill.

The question is..... do you think the Philippines able to effectively procure and administer vaccines to the population? :unsure:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

The question is..... do you think the Philippines able to effectively procure and administer vaccines to the population? :unsure:

So far I would have to say the answer is "no".  And trying to force people to take a vaccine will be counter productive and make a bad situation worse.   The "powers that be" stepped on their own dick with the dengue vaccine fiasco and they would be making another mistake if they attempt to make covid vaccine mandatory.  Just my opinion of course.

• Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I can see it passing as long as there is a way for some senators to make money but whether the vaccine reaches the general public will be another story.  Many locals I know don't have proper ID and as the survey shows the majority are anti vaccines due to the dengue fiasco.  Throw in the scares over Astrazenica and they have no chance. 

I'm actually on a list for the Novavax vaccine that a prominant British doctor is trying to organise where I'm living.  Just waiting on the cost and how it will be administered and recorded. I'll also be trying to research more on it as it's not so well reported on.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I can see it passing as long as there is a way for some senators to make money but whether the vaccine reaches the general public will be another story.  Many locals I know don't have proper ID and as the survey shows the majority are anti vaccines due to the dengue fiasco.  Throw in the scares over Astrazenica and they have no chance. 

I'm actually on a list for the Novavax vaccine that a prominant British doctor is trying to organise where I'm living.  Just waiting on the cost and how it will be administered and recorded. I'll also be trying to research more on it as it's not so well reported on.

I completely agree with you Snowy. Also hope you and eventually other Expats and Filipinos can find a way to acquire vaccines. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I completely agree with you Snowy. Also hope you and eventually other Expats and Filipinos can find a way to acquire vaccines. 

Haven't we already got ex-pats on this forum who have received their vaccine and free of charge through the government?  I'm not sure why we need a range of alternatives muddying the waters and thereby creating opportunity for profit - exactly why we don't want to encourage here IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Haven't we already got ex-pats on this forum who have received their vaccine and free of charge through the government?  I'm not sure why we need a range of alternatives muddying the waters and thereby creating opportunity for profit - exactly why we don't want to encourage here IMO.

As usual it is down to the LGU and from experience they all do their own thing.  I also think that whoever is administering the vaccine will play a big part in whether I'd take a vaccine or not.  Certainly if the local hospital in my last place was in charge I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

As usual it is down to the LGU and from experience they all do their own thing.  I also think that whoever is administering the vaccine will play a big part in whether I'd take a vaccine or not.  Certainly if the local hospital in my last place was in charge I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. 

Indeed.  But, I'm really not a fan of encouraging a scenario akin to releasing a herd of mice from a bag and watch them run off in a hundred different directions - leaves much too much room for profiteering. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Indeed.  But, I'm really not a fan of encouraging a scenario akin to releasing a herd of mice from a bag and watch them run off in a hundred different directions - leaves much too much room for profiteering. 

It's just took a step further. It turns out the LGU are also looking at setting a system up due to their faith in the National Government. 

https://www.facebook.com/1324268297749932/posts/1925626627614093/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

"Philippine House bill seeks to make Covid vaccine mandatory"

The following graph is from Israel.  Israel does not have mandatory vaccines.  Israel has better management of the total situation.  Philippines should try to be like Israel.

temp.jpg

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic