Tell me about Corn here

Kiesha201
Posted
Posted
On 4/26/2021 at 9:05 PM, manofthecoldland said:

After 18 months of living here continuously instead of following my yearly migration pattern back to the Northlands, I have an hankering for some corn. I usually include it as a regular dietary foodstuff while not living here.  I like eating rice while here as well as small potatoes and local grown gulay. 

Over the years, we once in a great while would buy some of the vendor sweet corn on the cob, and I might have the wife start doing that regularly, or maybe just buy some at the market for home preparation. I haven't told her that yet,  but I did have her  buy me a can of sweet corn at the mall grocery the other day, which I will eat today. 

Canned sweet corn and frozen sweet corn are quite inexpensive in the USA. Don't know how much ear corn is in winter when available there since I seldom bother with it.  I did eat a lot of it in the corn belt as a child when summer corn roasts where very popular at the time for neighborhood parties. 

I think they just boil the ears here before vending it, but I don't know if they soak it in salt water for a long time like they did when I was a kid. Maybe they do. 

Anyone here to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences with eared corn in the Philippines ?

Hello, In the Philippines, corn is a popular grub that you can easily get your hands on. You can find fresh corn on the cob at local markets or from street vendors. They usually boil or roast it before selling, but it's hard to say if they soak it in saltwater like they did back in the day. Maybe some still do!

If you're not in the mood for fresh corn, no worries. You can find frozen corn kernels and canned sweet corn in grocery stores. They're cheap and available all year round. Frozen corn is perfect for throwing into stews, stir-fries, or soups. Canned sweet corn is great for salads, casseroles, or as a side dish.

Now, when it comes to winter, finding fresh corn might be a bit trickier. Corn is typically harvested in the summer, so fresh cobs might be scarce. But don't fret, frozen and canned corn will still be hanging out on the shelves.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Kiesha.  I think you will find us friendly bunch.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Welcome to the forum Kiesha.  I think you will find us friendly bunch.

Can get a bit corny at times though. :cornflakes:

• Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Snowy79 said:

By far the best corn I've had. 

Just saw this topic.  The best corn on the cob I have had in my life was from a vendor at strawberry fields near Baguio.  Huge cob with huge kernels, with some kind of buttery liquid on it.  Probably some GMO stuff, but it was delicious! 

Possum
Posted
Posted

I am looking into hydroponics, wonder if one can grow corn that way? Seems like most people on hydroponic sites here are growing lettuce which is strange since  few people here eat salads at home. I'd be happy to grow decent tomatoes, cucumbers and broccoli. Corn would be a bonus.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Possum said:

I am looking into hydroponics, wonder if one can grow corn that way? Seems like most people on hydroponic sites here are growing lettuce which is strange since  few people here eat salads at home. I'd be happy to grow decent tomatoes, cucumbers and broccoli. Corn would be a bonus.

Hydroponics won't work for growing corn.  The stalks require soil to anchor its roots.  One of my high school classmates has a hydroponics tomato greenhouse in Tagaytay.  His daily production is over 500 kilos and the produce is delivered to restaurants including all the Shakey's outlets in Metro Manila.  His technology, including greenhouses, are from Israel.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The corn-on-the-cob sold by vendors is field corn.  They are grown as pig and cattle feed or milled as a substitute for rice.  Sweet corn is from hybrid (GMO) seeds produced by Monsanto.  A significant number of contract farmers are located in Kauai, Hawaiian Islands using land formerly used for sugar cane.  Being hybrid seeds, you need to buy more seed for every planting.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The corn-on-the-cob sold by vendors is field corn.  They are grown as pig and cattle feed or milled as a substitute for rice.  Sweet corn is from hybrid (GMO) seeds produced by Monsanto.  A significant number of contract farmers are located in Kauai, Hawaiian Islands using land formerly used for sugar cane.  Being hybrid seeds, you need to buy more seed for every planting.

Sweet corn has been grown for a long time prior to GMC.  My parents would grow it every year in our garden.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Sweet corn has been grown for a long time prior to GMC.  My parents would grow it every year in our garden.  

Yes, this is true.  There are different varieties of corn in terms of size, shape, color and taste.  I recall seeing packets of sweet corn heirloom seeds at garden supply stores.  The difficulty for commercial farmers was a consistent product in terms of size, shape and taste that was ready for harvest at the same time.  This is where genetic engineering came into play by companies like Monsanto.  Most of the sweet corn sold in American supermarkets are from hybrid seeds.  I read there is a Taiwan company that supplies seeds in the Philippines.  Their prices went up after being purchased by Monsanto.  

• Like 1