Philippines halts workers to Saudi Arabia

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I can't help but wonder how the affected workers feel about this?  Good that the government is concerned about their treatment, safety, etc, but maybe they have gone too far this time?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/philippines-halts-deployment-of-workers-to-saudi-arabia/ar-AAKtABh

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines has suspended the deployment of workers to Saudi Arabia after it received reports that their employers and recruiters were making them pay for COVID-19 testing, quarantine and insurance upon arrival in the kingdom.

Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello said in a May 27 order that his department will issue an official statement on resumption of deployment "after this matter has been clarified accordingly".

It was not immediately clear how many Filipinos bound for Saudi Arabia would be directly affected.

Saudi Arabia was the most preferred destination of overseas Filipino workers in 2019, government data showed, hosting one out of five Filipinos who landed jobs abroad during that year.

More than a million Filipinos work in Saudi Arabia, many in construction or as domestic helpers or nurses.

Saudi Arabia's embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment outside office hours.

Filipinos in Saudi Arabia sent home $1.8 billion in remittances in 2020, making it an important source of foreign exchange inflows, a key driver of Philippines' consumption-led economy.

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have always been against slavery and medieval toilet nations. 

Sadly,  millions of poor Filipinos can't be choosy about how and where they earn a living though.  :sad:  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

but maybe they have gone too far this time?

Unless we look at the other side of the coin. Granted the OFW's are a HUGE part of the GDP, indispensable at this time.

BUT...Think back over the last couple of years, every time there is a revolt, pandemic, natural disaster, war or any other calamity is forced to spend billions of Pesos to either repatriate the OFW"S or assist in place. Just look at the cost to quarantine returning OFW's now. 14 days and swab tests for each returnee. 

So if we look at this as a preventive measure it makes a bit more sense 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Could it simply be a ploy to change the system so the employer would pay those costs not the OFW? The OFW's are exploited at every turn it seems. 

Graham makes a good point. Often we hear stories of OFW's abused in draconian countries like Saudi how many are abused that never come to light? OFW's willing to endure abuse in order to support their families back in Philippines. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Could it simply be a ploy to change the system so the employer would pay those costs not the OFW?

Oh, no doubt about it :thumbsup:

But to my mind fair is fair. Foreign businessmen(women) are allowed in the Philippines now, but only if they pay for the 14 day isolation hotel and swab tests.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Should be in their contract before they leave, not something they are surprised with upon arrival... and I'm sure the recruiters in the Philippines would ALWAYS look out for the OFW :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

My understanding is, Sinvac was the problem, there's your answer to which vaccine to get. :thumbsup:

• I'm Confused 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Clermont said:

My understanding is, Sinvac was the problem, there's your answer to which vaccine to get. :thumbsup:

Great if we have a choice - many of us won't though Clermont. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

It’s a bit like that in Australia but later in the year things will loosen up and you’ll have a choice, just keep your wits about you and practice good hygiene 

graham59
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

how many are abused that never come to light? OFW's willing to endure abuse in order to support their families back in Philippines. 

Spot-on mate.

I'm pretty confident the reported cases are only the tip of a very large iceberg.

In many cases, these ladies are married too. What are they going to tell their husbands back home ? 

Then there are the 'overstayers', ripe for blackmailing. Both male and female.   

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic