Another vaccine "policy"?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Seems to be plenty of rhetoric but very little vaccine.  I hope the Philippines does not turn into another India or Brazil. 

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/05/31/news/waterfalls-policy-on-vaccine-rollout-pushed/1801309

SEN. Francis Tolentino called on the Inter Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to implement the "waterfalls policy" to hasten vaccine rollout in the country.

poster  
Tolentino said under the "waterfalls policy," the IATF-EID can re-allot vaccines reserved for those in the A2 (senior citizens) and A3 (with comorbidities) categories but who refuse to be given a shot.

In a radio interview on Sunday, Tolentino noted the number of people who want to get vaccinated "outweighs the number of those who are still hesitating to get their jabs."

The policy will allow the rollout to cascade down to other categories, meaning if those in the A3 category do not want to get inoculated, their slots would be given to those in the A4 category or essential workers.

"If the A4 doesn't want to [get inoculated], it should be given to A5 [category], if the A5 does not want to [be vaccinated] it should be given to B1. This way, I think, the vaccines will all be used," Tolentino said.

"Our current balance [or vaccine supply] is now only about 107,000. This would be enough for 53,000 Filipinos, or just enough to be used in one province," he said.

He cited the cases of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Coast Guard, who have yet to receive a single vaccine dose since they are not in the government's priority list.

Tolentino said military, police and even coast guard personnel are also in the forefront of the government's fight against Covid-19, alongside medical frontliners

As of March 21, the AFP has reported over 7,342 personnel who contracted Covid-19.

A total of 6,424 have recovered with 48 deaths.

The PNP has over 20,398 infected personnel, but none of them were in the priority list.

Tolentino acknowledged the government's efforts to combat Covid-19, but he also raised the need to strengthen information campaigns to encourage other Filipinos to get inoculated.

He said it was not the vaccine brand that caused the hesitation of some, but the lack of proper campaign approach to educate the people.

• Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Nobody has knocked on my door yet, offering a vaccine.

It's not rocket science, finding out who (such as old folk) are in priority need in each Barangay. 

But...it's the Philippines, so, whatever.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Seems to be plenty of rhetoric but very little vaccine.  I hope the Philippines does not turn into another India or Brazil. 

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/05/31/news/waterfalls-policy-on-vaccine-rollout-pushed/1801309

SEN. Francis Tolentino called on the Inter Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to implement the "waterfalls policy" to hasten vaccine rollout in the country.

poster  
Tolentino said under the "waterfalls policy," the IATF-EID can re-allot vaccines reserved for those in the A2 (senior citizens) and A3 (with comorbidities) categories but who refuse to be given a shot.

In a radio interview on Sunday, Tolentino noted the number of people who want to get vaccinated "outweighs the number of those who are still hesitating to get their jabs."

The policy will allow the rollout to cascade down to other categories, meaning if those in the A3 category do not want to get inoculated, their slots would be given to those in the A4 category or essential workers.

"If the A4 doesn't want to [get inoculated], it should be given to A5 [category], if the A5 does not want to [be vaccinated] it should be given to B1. This way, I think, the vaccines will all be used," Tolentino said.

"Our current balance [or vaccine supply] is now only about 107,000. This would be enough for 53,000 Filipinos, or just enough to be used in one province," he said.

He cited the cases of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Coast Guard, who have yet to receive a single vaccine dose since they are not in the government's priority list.

Tolentino said military, police and even coast guard personnel are also in the forefront of the government's fight against Covid-19, alongside medical frontliners

As of March 21, the AFP has reported over 7,342 personnel who contracted Covid-19.

A total of 6,424 have recovered with 48 deaths.

The PNP has over 20,398 infected personnel, but none of them were in the priority list.

Tolentino acknowledged the government's efforts to combat Covid-19, but he also raised the need to strengthen information campaigns to encourage other Filipinos to get inoculated.

He said it was not the vaccine brand that caused the hesitation of some, but the lack of proper campaign approach to educate the people.

"He said it was not the vaccine brand that caused the hesitation of some, but the lack of proper campaign approach to educate the people."

I agree with Senator Tolentino on that Mike. I think that more participation from people in local governing positions could get the word out better and help allay some fears fears and mistrust among some townspeople.

We don't live in a subdivision, but in a regular barangay neighborhood along the national road in our town. Somehow we missed their stop at our gate? but the Department of Health made stops in the neighborhood as maybe they have a town census or master list of seniors/eligible others in the area. We only found out about the vaccine arriving at the local health center in two days time. by our next door neighbor who informed us about the coming vaccinations. A few foreigners that we spoke with from this neighborhood told us that a DOH person had stopped by their houses. Our immediate neighbors have very elderly seniors and sickly relatives in their families, but none were convinced to go and get the vaccine. They did know that we were getting them.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

Nobody has knocked on my door yet, offering a vaccine.

It's not rocket science, finding out who (such as old folk) are in priority need in each Barangay. 

But...it's the Philippines, so, whatever.

Hi Graham,

Not sure how your local area in Luzon is organized, but just as a thought on our rather rural town situation.  My husband called the local DOH LGU office and the local health center last month to let them know that we were very interested in getting the vaccines. We were told that our names would already be on the town master list, but my husband also submitted our names again for general purposes, as eligible seniors We called again with a friendly inquiry a week later when we heard about the nearby town of Carmen getting some vaccines out. None yet for us yet we were told.

I think that it doesn't hurt to be vocal about your interest in wanting a vaccine and getting any info about coming local rollouts, if and when they might be happening.  They seemed glad to be adding numbers to their list of interested folks, so "nothing ventured nothing gained" I'd say. Of course every area might do things differently. Just a general thought that you might have already acted on. I don't know if our calls made any difference in the scheme of things, but the following week we heard about the town rollout.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Thanks for relating your experience Queenie.

My wife is going in to see the local Barangay about it tomorrow. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Graham,

Not sure how your local area in Luzon is organized, but just as a thought on our rather rural town situation.  My husband called the local DOH LGU office and the local health center last month to let them know that we were very interested in getting the vaccines. We were told that our names would already be on the town master list, but my husband also submitted our names again for general purposes, as eligible seniors We called again with a friendly inquiry a week later when we heard about the nearby town of Carmen getting some vaccines out. None yet for us yet we were told.

I think that it doesn't hurt to be vocal about your interest in wanting a vaccine and getting any info about coming local rollouts, if and when they might be happening.  They seemed glad to be adding numbers to their list of interested folks, so "nothing ventured nothing gained" I'd say. Of course every area might do things differently. Just a general thought that you might have already acted on. I don't know if our calls made any difference in the scheme of things, but the following week we heard about the town rollout.

In our area there has been no communication at all, whilst the HOA in the next phase of our community (each phase has it's own HOA) were issued with registration forms.  My wife went to our HOA and was able to pick up the forms - she asked when there was a communication and had we simply missed it, the answer was along the lines of they haven't done anything! 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

In our area there has been no communication at all, whilst the HOA in the next phase of our community (each phase has it's own HOA) were issued with registration forms.  My wife went to our HOA and was able to pick up the forms - she asked when there was a communication and had we simply missed it, the answer was along the lines of they haven't done anything! 

That's so frustrating HK.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the metro area islands like Manila Cebu and Davao have been given more stocks early on, and over time other areas will be provided with more steady stocks over time. I read that the National Capital region and surrounds having seen the worst rise in cases, have had more interest and participation in vaccine rollouts. There have never enough steady stocks yet, but supposedly that will change with more vaccines coming into the country I think.

While waiting for more activity in your area, you might possibly want to go beyond the homeowners association, and just go through the town hall DOH office and your local health office that every town and city area has to find out when and where vaccinations will happen. Rollouts seem to be happening on mondays and tuesdays during weeks that have continuous supplies. 

In my husband's town next store, my brother- in- law was told when he went in for his shot at the local health center that stocks were used up, but he got his that following monday.  Yesterday my other brother-in-law who just turned sixty went into the city to get vaccinated along with his wife who now just got hers because she works in a skin care center. and was eligible because of working with the public.

From personal experience so far, I guess we all have to be as creative and resourceful as we can about making sure to get our names on any and every list/ master list, and to tell as many people from barangay to councilors health nurses, neighbors of your interest to get vaccinated  Never assume that you are already on a list, or that one list or person is in charge. That's just my suggestion, but with that said, we all will still have to go along with supply chains. I'm sure that your wife can be I good advocate for you.

I really hope that you and others who want a vaccine will get it soon.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

That's so frustrating HK.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the metro area islands like Manila Cebu and Davao have been given more stocks early on, and over time other areas will be provided with more steady stocks over time. I read that the National Capital region and surrounds having seen the worst rise in cases, have had more interest and participation in vaccine rollouts. There have never enough steady stocks yet, but supposedly that will change with more vaccines coming into the country I think.

While waiting for more activity in your area, you might possibly want to go beyond the homeowners association, and just go through the town hall DOH office and your local health office that every town and city area has to find out when and where vaccinations will happen. Rollouts seem to be happening on mondays and tuesdays during weeks that have continuous supplies. 

In my husband's town next store, my brother- in- law was told when he went in for his shot at the local health center that stocks were used up, but he got his that following monday.  Yesterday my other brother-in-law who just turned sixty went into the city to get vaccinated along with his wife who now just got hers because she works in a skin care center. and was eligible because of working with the public.

From personal experience so far, I guess we all have to be as creative and resourceful as we can about making sure to get our names on any and every list/ master list, and to tell as many people from barangay to councilors health nurses, neighbors of your interest to get vaccinated  Never assume that you are already on a list, or that one list or person is in charge. That's just my suggestion, but with that said, we all will still have to go along with supply chains. I'm sure that your wife can be I good advocate for you.

I really hope that you and others who want a vaccine will get it soon.

I take your point Queenie.

However, here in Iloilo they have a relatively good system of management in the main for most things.  It's not so much that we've been missed as much as nobody has received the vaccine at all outside of health workers.  If and when we start to hear of "normal" folk getting it then will be the time for us to start making noises.  Basically, at this stage there is no point doing much as there is simply no vaccinations being given.

I'm heartened to hear of folks here like you guys getting the vaccine as it gives me faith that there is a system in place and we just need to wait our turn.  

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I take your point Queenie.

However, here in Iloilo they have a relatively good system of management in the main for most things.  It's not so much that we've been missed as much as nobody has received the vaccine at all outside of health workers.  If and when we start to hear of "normal" folk getting it then will be the time for us to start making noises.  Basically, at this stage there is no point doing much as there is simply no vaccinations being given.

I'm heartened to hear of folks here like you guys getting the vaccine as it gives me faith that there is a system in place and we just need to wait our turn.  

Sounds like a good plan HK.  Many folks are waiting for their turn I'm sure, in spite of those still not interested or still on the fence about getting vaccinated.

I have faith too, that It's just a matter of time, before many more who want to will get their chance. :smile: 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I have faith too, that It's just a matter of time, before many more who want to will get their chance. :smile: 

My concern is that the Philippines may turn into another India, Brazil, Peru, etc. while awaiting for a sufficient supply of vaccine.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic