How Fluent are you in Tagalog or any Philippine language?

How Fluent are you in Tagalog or any Philippine language?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How Fluent are you in Tagalog or any Philippine language?

• Fluent
    • I can converse fairly well.
    • I can understand a little.
    • I'm trying to learn
    • Don't care/not interested

Gator
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

I can say a few words in Cebuano and naughty words too. Not Tagalog.

I think the naughty words are usually some of the first ones learned whenever someone is in a foreign country, lol. For me the next words are names of food (at least enough to read most of a menu) plus items like fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gator said:

I think the naughty words are usually some of the first ones learned whenever someone is in a foreign country, lol. For me the next words are names of food (at least enough to read most of a menu) plus items like fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. 

I had a bar/resto in southern Spain so had to learn Spanish numbers, calendar dates etc and more. Cebuano and Spanish or very close language when it comes to numbers and dates even though most Filipinos like to count in English. I know how to say food and drinks also in Cebuano. The wife will speak to me in her language sometimes to test me out.

Salamat kaayo

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
azntravlr
Posted
Posted

I can converse more than a little but not fairly well. There is no option for it. I know some tagalog but know more bisaya specifically cebuano. It is not easy and the best way is to practice with a native speaker. There are over 80 dialects and many sub-ethnicities in the PH.

Writing the language is not too bad, speaking it is harder. But to actually comprehend the language is a whole other story. it takes time to recognize sounds and to clearly understand them.

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I know about 25 phrases from the nice to the not so nice. That seems to work well and convinces some that I know more than I really do. But at least it allows me to have fun talking to taxi drivers where we both use Tagalog and English mixed. Totally lost with Bisaya tho.

gabgab
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know of good online resources (youtube videos, apps etc) to learn the basics of Tagalog and Bisaya (basic vocabulary etc)?