Steel prices and shares

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I own shares in two steel companies in the U.S.  One of them is giving huge incentives.  Don't quote me but I think it was $2000 per person and if the whole unit (location or department??) got fully vaccinated, another $1000 per person.  Not too shabby!

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I own shares in two steel companies in the U.S.  One of them is giving huge incentives.  Don't quote me but I think it was $2000 per person and if the whole unit (location or department??) got fully vaccinated, another $1000 per person.  Not too shabby!

Could I please have an employment application? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

Be careful what you wish for...... 

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

They also got $3500 in quarterly profit sharing!  Steel companies are making huge profits right now!

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They also got $3500 in quarterly profit sharing!  Steel companies are making huge profits right now!

They have been yes but the iron ore price is heading sharply down due to the drop in Chinese demand and that will flow on to a drop in demand for steel.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Chinese demand

Steel prices in the US seem directly impacted by Biden's policy.  This is going off topic to study it here if you like https://time.com/6089649/infrastructure-bill-industries-benefit/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Steel prices in the US seem directly impacted by Biden's policy.  This is going off topic to study it here if you like https://time.com/6089649/infrastructure-bill-industries-benefit/

In addition, didn't the previous president increase tariffs by 15-25% on steel and aluminum? That would certainly help those industries.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

They have been yes but the iron ore price is heading sharply down due to the drop in Chinese demand and that will flow on to a drop in demand for steel.

The Chinese government is restricting steel output so that is why the iron ore supply is building up and prices going down for the ore.  If anything, Chinese restrictions on steel output are good for the U.S. companies I own.

Steel demand in the U.S. is expected to be strong through the end of 2022, at least.  If the U.S. gov passes the ridiculous "infrastructure" bill, that is even more support for steel.  The price for Sep 21 HRC is over $1900!  It was $600 in 2019!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

On a whim, I was thinking of buying some penny stocks in Labrador Iron Mines exploration division until I read their August financials.  The long term for iron is not bullish.

"In the longer-term analysts generally expect iron ore prices to retreat from recent highs with Brazilian supply
recovering, however government Covid relief programs and infrastructure investment worldwide are expected to
create continued medium term demand for steel and thus for iron ore. "

Joey G
Posted
Posted

The companies themselves are profitable...  but it isn't showing up in the dividends to shareholders.... the dividends are pitifully low. Case in point, US Steel paying a whopping .15% annual dividend... yep, thats 15/100 of 1 percent.... might easier to measure in peso's I think.  If you bought steel stocks a year ago, sell now... if you think steel stocks will out play everything... make someone happy and buy the stock they selling today :6: