Has anybody heard of Foreign National Keepers Network (FNKN)?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's one on Boracay and they work well with the PNP. A legit and non political organisation that is encouraged.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There's one on Boracay and they work well with the PNP. A legit and non political organisation that is encouraged.

When you say work well, how? No natural disasters' I'm aware of in Boracay so what are these police volunteer's doing? Their website mentions communication in disaster situations but unless they own a lot of equipment they would be in no better situation than the rest of those affected for say a typhoon. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When you say work well, how? No natural disasters' I'm aware of in Boracay so what are these police volunteer's doing? Their website mentions communication in disaster situations but unless they own a lot of equipment they would be in no better situation than the rest of those affected for say a typhoon. 

I think the PNP here tend to have friendly meetings to see if foreigners have any issues that the PNP can help them with.  We have an up and coming Chief of Police here who is very proactive. He's been in post about one year and since he took over I've seen the PNP doing squad physical training, anti terrorist activities and lots of heart and mind tasks. About two weeks ago I saw a post with him having talks with some members as he did his daily patrols on the island.  

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your kind feedback. I understand most of you never heard or them or interacted with them. I did detect a certain sense of caution, if not suspicion, towards them due to their overt and direct association with the PNP. The way I understood it on my first and only (so far) attendance, activities greatly differ between chapters. They told me the Davao City chapter is one of the country's most active, while the Manila one has been "as good as dead" for a long time. I see the Lapu-lapu chapter even maintains a website. FKNK Davao City has a Facebook page.

Like every collective human endeavour, an association is only as good as its members. I saw a bunch of interesting people, including former US policemen and firefighters, who seem to take the interest of their community, no matter how scattered around the Davao area, quite seriously.

My second meeting will be this coming Thursday. I will take some photos and maybe post them here. I don't feel like patronising them yet but, for those members living in and around Davao who don't have better to do on a Thursday morning, turning up to this semi-hidden German-themed mancave might not be the worst thing to do :smile:   

• Like 4