Slow cooker Chili Verde Recipe. It's easy.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Chili Verde Recipe

All the ingredients should be available in Philippines.

Two or three pounds pork butt cubed, salt pepper fry until brown only. Pork loin is a healthy substitute.

A cup or more canned fire roasted Hatch Chili peppers mild. Or sub old El Paso canned green chili peppers. I've seen Old El Paso products in Cebu if you can get the Hatch its a step up! 

At least 24 oz can/jar of mild Salsa Verdi 

Chop one large onion with some fresh Jalapeños (seeded) to taste. Fry then add five or six mashed garlic cloves for the last 60 seconds.

At least a pound of boiled waxy skinned potatoes cubed. More is better up to your taste we like potatoes. I put this in about 30 minutes before serving.

2 teaspoon oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Dried chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce to taste.

Dump into slow cooker set at HIGH three hours of pork loin five or more for pork butt.

Some salt and pepper to taste.

Canned Jalapeño on the side and a cold one.

CF2D5CC5-910A-42FF-9864-B96E371D07B3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

A cup or more canned fire roasted Hatch Chili peppers mild. Or sub old El Paso canned green chili peppers. I've seen Old El Paso products in Cebu if you can get the Hatch its a step up! 

I haven't made this since I left Calif. 7 years ago! Where did you find/name of store where you got the ingredients like green chili peppers and green salsa. Would even like to make some chili rellenos if I could find whole peppers even in a can! Then what about a can of refried beans for making some beef burritos , dying for some good Mexican around here. :cornflakes:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

I haven't made this since I left Calif. 7 years ago! Where did you find/name of store where you got the ingredients like green chili peppers and green salsa. Would even like to make some chili rellenos if I could find whole peppers even in a can! Then what about a can of refried beans for making some beef burritos , dying for some good Mexican around here. :cornflakes:

Plenty of peppers in the supermarkets and probably more in local markets. I'm pretty sure Rustan's used to have refried beans. Green salsa and refried beans if you cant find is available on Lazada or shopee. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, roddavis said:

Find those items at Robinsons super store Banilad Cebu or Rustan's The Marketplace Ayala mall Cebu City.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, Old55 said:

Chili Verde Recipe

All the ingredients should be available in Philippines.

Two or three pounds pork butt cubed, salt pepper fry until brown only. Pork loin is a healthy substitute.

Chop one large onion with some fresh Jalapeños (seeded) to taste. Fry then add five or six mashed garlic cloves for the last 60 seconds.

At least a pound of boiled waxy skinned potatoes cubed. More is better up to your taste we like potatoes. I put this in about 30 minutes before serving.

2 teaspoon oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Dried chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce to taste.

Dump into slow cooker set at HIGH three hours of pork loin five or more for pork butt.

Some salt and pepper to taste.

Canned Jalapeño on the side and a cold one.

CF2D5CC5-910A-42FF-9864-B96E371D07B3.jpeg

The Herdez salsa is hard to find here in Davao. the rest is mostly available.

I love Mexican dishes! Thanks for the recipe!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The Herdez salsa is hard to find here in Davao. the rest is mostly available.

I love Mexican dishes! Thanks for the recipe!

I was thinking of you Tom. Any Tomatillo salsa will do. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I was thinking of you Tom. Any Tomatillo salsa will do. 

"Tom" atillo salsa, Old? Hahahaha!!! Thanks for the thought and I will have to try this!

At least the "cold one" part of the equation is much easier now than before...:cheersty:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, roddavis said:

Then what about a can of refried beans for making some beef burritos , dying for some good Mexican around here. 

I found Old El Paso refried beans online with Lazada. Also, L has found them at Gasaino in Davao city. I am not sure if mine qualifies as "good," but I do make some mean Tex-Mex 'rittos here... Stop by for a couple of them and a "cold one" or two...!

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, roddavis said:

Rod, I may try cooking Chili Rellenos with fresh peppers next week. It will be my first time but with YouTUbe what can go wrong? :whatever:

The Old El Paso canned peppers are small but would work if you can find them over there. Or better yet as Tom suggested there must be some mild med-large fresh local peppers in the market.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

he Old El Paso canned peppers are small but would work if you can find them over there. Or better yet as Tom suggested there must be some mild med-large fresh local peppers in the market.

That's another thing I have not found. A large enough green pepper to put the Jack Cheese in. Sure smaller local peppers I can find. I ordered the hatch chili pepper seeds from Lazada but I haven't got them to grow yet. Soil not sandy enough, too much humidity? One of these days I'll get it to grow. My favorite recipe for chili rellenos is large green chilis roasted and remove hard skin. Slice open and put in jack cheese, then roll in egg with flour coating then back. The best to deep fry the chili/egg/cheese till crispy then serve hot(authentic way). I'll have to check Lazada for refried beans to make my classic beef burittos with sour cream and cheese! yummy!

• Love it 2