A+ blood Paranaque

Patryk
Posted
Posted

Hi, I have urgent need for A+ blood donor in xxxxxxxxx I was trying contact red cross etc, however seems that everything is closed for the weekend. Even if you can't donate but you have any ideas how to get it it would be appreciated. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have you a specific Doctor or other contact our members would call? It is The Medical xxxxxxx

Wishing you the best Patryk.

Patryk
Posted
Posted

It is 

Medical Center xxxxxxx, the Doctor name is xxxxxxxx, the person who needs blood is xxxxxxx, if you like to help contact me on whatsapp +xxxxxxxxx  I dont have working phone number from hospital but I have one person inside asking random people if they can donate blood, so far 0 interest in helping

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Patryk said:

asking random people if they can donate blood, so far 0 interest in helping

No one donates but I have had my gf outside asking tricycle drivers if they would sell their blood.  Last I checked it was 5K pesos for a bag of blood and A+ is common.

• Like 5

Patryk
Posted
Posted

This is brilliant idea, I am trying it right away

• Like 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted

We manage to get some blood however it took us 4 days, there was a lot of luck in this but the patient is alive. 

Maybe somebody in the future will have a similar problem and will find this post, so if you need blood:

- tricycle drivers ( and random people in general) don't know their blood type, so even if you would like to pay for it it might be not possible

-Red Cross blood banks don't respond to calls (mostly) nor communicate with each other, there is no stock management system ( and even if there is they just don't care). So your best call is to visit the blood banks by yourself. They might lie that they don't have blood, which happened to us, then another person will find it (possibly for extra fee). This system doesn't work at all.

- if you will find a donor and the situation is urgent, note that your hospital might not be able to extract blood if you will do it at Red Cross point ( not all of them might extract blood), you will need to wait until the next day to get it. 

- there are some donors group and internet people which will try to sell you their blood, you might think that they won't scam you as you will try to pay them high sums of money just after they donate- keep in mind one person can donate once, in 3 months, we found so many people trying to scam us, nobody willing to actually donate. They will usually say that they have to get pre-payment for transport.

That being said, knowing there is a blood shortage, nobody will help you for free, a private hospital will do the absolute minimum to keep you alive and only calls from them will be with new bills requested to pay immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Patryk said:

We manage to get some blood however it took us 4 days, there was a lot of luck in this but the patient is alive. 

Maybe somebody in the future will have a similar problem and will find this post, so if you need blood:

- tricycle drivers ( and random people in general) don't know their blood type, so even if you would like to pay for it it might be not possible

-Red Cross blood banks don't respond to calls (mostly) nor communicate with each other, there is no stock management system ( and even if there is they just don't care). So your best call is to visit the blood banks by yourself. They might lie that they don't have blood, which happened to us, then another person will find it (possibly for extra fee). This system doesn't work at all.

- if you will find a donor and the situation is urgent, note that your hospital might not be able to extract blood if you will do it at Red Cross point ( not all of them might extract blood), you will need to wait until the next day to get it. 

- there are some donors group and internet people which will try to sell you their blood, you might think that they won't scam you as you will try to pay them high sums of money just after they donate- keep in mind one person can donate once, in 3 months, we found so many people trying to scam us, nobody willing to actually donate. They will usually say that they have to get pre-payment for transport.

That being said, knowing there is a blood shortage, nobody will help you for free, a private hospital will do the absolute minimum to keep you alive and only calls from them will be with new bills requested to pay immediately.

Having gone through a surgery a few years ago here in the Philippines, I can definitely understand the frustration.  Any reason why you were looking for A+ blood specifically?  According to compatibility chart, A+ person can receive O+, O- and A- blood, with O+ being the most common blood type in the world.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update, I hope the patient is alright now and you are alright too after your ordeal. It's incidence's like this that makes you take stock of how lucky you are and how prepared you are for that emergency that will never happen to you, good luck. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

A-, O- and in particular AB- are all rare in the Philippinnes (roughly 99% of the local population are RH+) which makes getting those types difficult (and not always possible).

As to the so called universal donor blood O- (which I am) it's not actually quite 'universal' (there are other factors that can cause problems) but I would expect (given that it's rare) that it's less used in the Philippines anyway for quick blood transfusions.

So yes blood access can definitely be a problem.

I am listed as 'cannot donate' on the forum but that is related to the medicine I take, in an emergency I could donate a bag (I used to be a blood donor when I was younger) I'd just have to be monitored for longer than usual.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Youngster said:

Any reason why you were looking for A+ blood specifically?  According to compatibility chart, A+ person can receive O+, O- and A- blood, with O+ being the most common blood type in the world.

This is what I was thinking, they didn't tell us why  but they accepted only A+

Edited by Patryk
  • Like 2