They always find a way in the Philippines

graham59
Posted
Posted

I took this picture on the same line 30 years ago. These bigger passenger ones,  have the luxury of an engine.  Things move slowly in the Phils... 

Skates in Bicol.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2022 at 8:25 PM, graham59 said:

I took this picture on the same line 30 years ago. These bigger passenger ones,  have the luxury of an engine.  Things move slowly in the Phils... 

Skates in Bicol.jpg

track looks a little better maintained then.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Heart warming story.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Heart warming story.

So true, and they do this even though they can only reach 60 children.  "Only in Da Philippines" and this time it reflects the Filipino love for their children. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike J said:

So true, and they do this even though they can only reach 60 children.  "Only in Da Philippines" and this time it reflects the Filipino love for their children. :thumbsup:

So often we (including me) hear and repeat sad or violent stories seems good deeds go unnoticed.  

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

track looks a little better maintained then.

There were actually trains running (very slowly) on the line then, too . Two each day. 

p175 fare,  Manila to Naga City. Only 17 hours for the overnight train. :huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, even on that Manila-Naga PNR track, the rather heavy passenger-carrying, motor-driven (7hp pump boat engine...so I was informed) 'skates' were manhandled off the single track...a rapid judgement having been made as to which head-on approaching 'vehicle' was the most heavily laden of the two. Journeys could be up to 20+ miles, and those contraptions could easily top 30mph on the twisted track.  :ohmy:

There would also be veritable 'trains' of them sometimes, carrying loads of Coca Cola or San Mig'...hurtling along at 25mph or more.  The lesser ones definitely gave way to those. lol 

Gas
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

There were actually trains running (very slowly) on the line then, too . Two each day. 

p175 fare,  Manila to Naga City. Only 17 hours for the overnight train. :huh:

You have a good memory, as i took the same train a couple of times in the late 80's and early 90's and can only remember the speed and the amount of times it ground to a halt. 

Still remember the name 'Bicol Express' :smile:

• Like 1