Duterte mulls 4-day workweek

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

These ideas really only cater for those who might work in a factory or something. What about a bar or restaurant, are they going to change their hours to suit a 10 hour day for all? Someone mentioned that the workers are not going to sit at home for 3 days, makes a long weekend every week so many will use it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The irony of the move to a four day work week is that ridership will decline which means the public transport system will lose income at the same time the cost of fuel rises.  :sad:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I was a working man, I had a 4 x 10hr day work week.  I liked it.  I wonder how many other foreigners here had that?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder how many other foreigners here had that?

We had a 4x10 work week in the 90s during the California energy shortage...We liked it,,,a 3 day weekend every week.

But it was only the Government offices that mandated it. 

But dont most Filipinos work for daily wage? I can see some room for abuse if enacted here

• Like 3

Posted
Posted

If everyone here was just sent home when they weren't actually working, that would save trillions of pesos.

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I was a working man, I had a 4 x 10hr day work week.  I liked it.  I wonder how many other foreigners here had that?

When I was working back home in Scotland we had 24/7 operation in the factory.  We had a number of shifts as follows -

Day - 4x8.5; 1x5

Evening - 1x6.5; 3x5.5; 1x6.5 

Night - 1x9; 3x10

W/End Night - 3x10

W/End Day - 2x12 

The 2 w/end shifts were very popular - same pay as the weekday but much less hours. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

But dont most Filipinos work for daily wage? I can see some room for abuse if enacted here

In manual industries yes, but in the rest I think they're bi-weekly or monthly paid.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In manual industries yes, but in the rest I think they're bi-weekly or monthly paid.

Yes, but is their pay based on an hourly salary or a daily wage.  The chart JGF posted seems to state a minimum daily wage, rather than an hourly amount.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

Most are paid twice a month and not daily. It might be said the daily wage is x amount but its added up to be paid at a designated dates. Well for bigger or normal registered business. Some I read pay daily for construction workers but as far as I know thats just an agreement between the house owner and paying workers onsite.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is exactly what I worked in the last couple of years before I moved here.  Standing routine of Saturday through to Tuesday, I was senior in the job so I had the choice of which standing roster to work.  I chose to as Saturday was 1.5 and Sunday was 2 x our daily rate.  Gotta love the weekend loading and weekends didn't mean that much to me as the kids had all grown up and I was living by myself.  We could also work an extra shift on our days off which was also pretty attractive as we received 1.5 x for the for first 3 hours then 2 x for every hour after that; I rarely chose to as I enjoyed my time off but with 3 days off, but it was quite lucrative when I did.    

Does PI even have weekend loading?