Quarantine Slaughterhouse

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It came from the heart.  Glad your son is coping.  It is not about "loving it".  My kids love it most of the time too, but it is way to easy for them.  Limited hours and over accommodating.  And this is three different private schools.

I don't want to get into the details with my 3 girls, aged 5, 8 and 17.  Each one has suffered in different main ways, with overlaps in some areas.  They definitely would be much farther ahead in educational and emotional development if they were in real school.

I understand, I really do and I already said that education should be in school rather than otherwise. 

Obviously there are different ways in which schools have delivered education over the last 2 years, some better than others.  I'm not saying my son's school have done better than the average but my wife has commented that the quality of the teaching staff is noticeably better under the online system - to expand my son's school is part of a group and the teachers are mixed from all 3 during the online set-up.  

Would my son have been more developed in the traditional system? I'm unsure as each child is different and I think it's fair to say my son would be more in the lower half of his class than the upper.  Do kids in general prosper better in the traditional set-up - 100% yes. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I understand, I really do and I already said that education should be in school rather than otherwise. 

Obviously there are different ways in which schools have delivered education over the last 2 years, some better than others.  I'm not saying my son's school have done better than the average but my wife has commented that the quality of the teaching staff is noticeably better under the online system - to expand my son's school is part of a group and the teachers are mixed from all 3 during the online set-up.  

Would my son have been more developed in the traditional system? I'm unsure as each child is different and I think it's fair to say my son would be more in the lower half of his class than the upper.  Do kids in general prosper better in the traditional set-up - 100% yes. 

Here is an article from WHO/Laos that might interest you.

https://www.who.int/laos/news/commentaries/detail/to-avert-a-learning-catastrophe-schools-must-stay-open-amidst-omicron-threat-and-beyond

To avert a learning catastrophe, schools must stay open amidst Omicron threat and beyond

22 March 2022

With the COVID-19 pandemic now sadly approaching a third year, safely reopening schools, and keeping them open remains an urgent priority, especially amidst the threat of the Omicron variant. In-person school attendance is critical for children’s education and life prospects which will ultimately contribute to human capital development and overall socio-economic development of the country.

Although increased transmissibility across all age groups has been reported for COVID-19 variants of concern, such as Omicron, evidence to date since the start of the pandemic shows that COVID-19 does not pose a higher risk to children and schools are not primary drivers of transmission. When they do contract COVID-19, children tend to have milder symptoms than adults.

"The evidence we have to date shows that if mitigation measures are put in place, it is safe to send children to school,” stated UNICEF Representative to Lao PDR, Dr. Pia Rebello Britto noting that the Lao PDR Government has put mitigation measures in place that schools across the country are following.

“We have amassed a large body of knowledge about how to reduce the potential risk of transmission to children, teachers, and their families, including joint WHO-UNICEF guidelines and a WHO schools checklist, that is constantly being reviewed. Using this knowledge, the education and health sectors have successfully worked together toward safely reopening schools in the country and keeping them open, to put children back on the learning track and protect their future,” added Dr. Britto.

The Lao PDR Government has kept the majority of schools open since the start of the new school year in September 2021 with clear guidelines on prevention measures to allow children to return safely to the classroom. Needed supplies such as soaps, hand sanitizers, face masks and digital thermometers have also been provided to schools with the support of development partners.

“Prolonged school closures and ongoing interruptions to in-class learning have severe adverse consequences, with significant impact on children’s learning and skills attainment and earning prospects, as well as on their physical and mental health, and that of their families. The evidence shows increases in anxiety, depression, and self-harm among school-aged children since the start of the pandemic. School closures have led to reduced physical activity, poor eating habits, and disrupted sleep patterns and collectively, this generation of schoolchildren could lose US$17 trillion in potential lifetime earnings,” said WHO Representative to Lao PDR, Dr Ying-Ru Jacqueline Lo.

“Achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goal for education was already going to be challenging enough before the pandemic, but now, UNICEF and UNESCO estimate that education budgets in the region will need to increase by at least 7% to stay within striking distance of those targets,” added Dr Lo.

While online education can guarantee some continuity of learning for some children, these services are no substitute for in-person attendance. Access to online learning remains uneven, especially for disadvantaged children who bear the brunt of the shortcomings of digital education. Importantly, for some children, school attendance contributes to a safer living environment, with less time at home decreasing the risk of domestic violence, just as less screen time reduces the risk of online harm.

Over the past few months, we have seen schools in many countries safely stay open and reopen, with additional mitigation measures in place. This includes for example in Japan, the implementation of staggered arrivals and redesigned timetables. In Lao PDR, the government has done everything in their power to keep schools open, including a checklist of mitigation measures developed in close collaboration between the health and education sectors, WHO and UNICEF, along with active engagement with parents and local communities. The school authorities and Village Education Development Committee members also help monitor implementation of these mitigation measures.

There is no such thing as zero risk – going forward, this means we are still likely to detect cases as a reflection of community transmission, but the risks are manageable with robust mitigation strategies. Policymakers must consider the local context for resuming in-school learning and keeping schools open, including factors such as the level of community transmission and the capacity to detect and respond to an increase in cases.

Now, greater numbers of parents, teaching and other staff, eligible students and eligible individuals within households are being vaccinated, offering greater community protection against severe illness and death. However, vaccination of children should still not be a pre-requisite for children to go back to the classroom.

There are other 'safe school' measures that can be used alongside vaccination as part of a multi-layered approach to reduce COVID-19 transmission. These include proper mask use, physical distancing, adequate ventilation, personal hygiene practices, regular cleaning and disinfection and promoting a ‘stay home when sick’ policy. If schools with the support of parents and the wider community strictly follow these measures, schools can continue to operate safely, and children can continue learning in the classroom.

Maintaining vigilance, promoting vaccination for eligible groups and adherence to all of the other measures, is critical – not only for schools, but also for our broader efforts to suppress COVID-19 transmission in the community. We need to work towards a sustainable approach and move away from school closures or only partial openings, to staying fully open. The consequences of keeping children out of their classrooms are grave and far-reaching. Children must be given the opportunity to thrive again – schools must continue to stay open.

Both UNICEF and WHO remain committed to continue to support the safe operations of schools so children’s learning will not be disrupted again by the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

kids have NOT been locked up for 2 years. 

I'm curious if it was different for you in your area.  Unfortunately, restrictions for children were very strict for almost 2 years, here in Subic Bay Freeport.  Opened up a bit in Dec. 2021, shut down again, then reopened.  Our chairwoman (now replaced) was very strict and our neighborhoods are patrolled by roving security, who enforced the rules.  Unlike, neighboring Olongapo, where kids roamed the street as normal, with and without masks.

For ~18 months of those 2 years:

No face to face school

Kids supposed to stay in the house

All neighborhood parks and recreation closed

Kids not allowed in malls and restos

Very limited ability to travel unless you want the kids to get a PCR test

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm curious if it was different for you in your area.  Unfortunately, restrictions for children were very strict for almost 2 years, here in Subic Bay Freeport.  Opened up a bit in Dec. 2021, shut down again, then reopened.  Our chairwoman (now replaced) was very strict and our neighborhoods are patrolled by roving security, who enforced the rules.  Unlike, neighboring Olongapo, where kids roamed the street as normal, with and without masks.

For ~18 months of those 2 years:

No face to face school

Kids supposed to stay in the house

All neighborhood parks and recreation closed

Kids not allowed in malls and restos

Very limited ability to travel unless you want the kids to get a PCR test

Sounds like somebody was on a power trip - were the restrictions you describe approved by the LGO etc?

Here in Iloilo the restrictions for kids were more or less in line with those for adults EXCEPT entry to malls.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is an article from WHO/Laos that might interest you.

https://www.who.int/laos/news/commentaries/detail/to-avert-a-learning-catastrophe-schools-must-stay-open-amidst-omicron-threat-and-beyond

To avert a learning catastrophe, schools must stay open amidst Omicron threat and beyond

22 March 2022

With the COVID-19 pandemic now sadly approaching a third year, safely reopening schools, and keeping them open remains an urgent priority, especially amidst the threat of the Omicron variant. In-person school attendance is critical for children’s education and life prospects which will ultimately contribute to human capital development and overall socio-economic development of the country.

Although increased transmissibility across all age groups has been reported for COVID-19 variants of concern, such as Omicron, evidence to date since the start of the pandemic shows that COVID-19 does not pose a higher risk to children and schools are not primary drivers of transmission. When they do contract COVID-19, children tend to have milder symptoms than adults.

"The evidence we have to date shows that if mitigation measures are put in place, it is safe to send children to school,” stated UNICEF Representative to Lao PDR, Dr. Pia Rebello Britto noting that the Lao PDR Government has put mitigation measures in place that schools across the country are following.

“We have amassed a large body of knowledge about how to reduce the potential risk of transmission to children, teachers, and their families, including joint WHO-UNICEF guidelines and a WHO schools checklist, that is constantly being reviewed. Using this knowledge, the education and health sectors have successfully worked together toward safely reopening schools in the country and keeping them open, to put children back on the learning track and protect their future,” added Dr. Britto.

The Lao PDR Government has kept the majority of schools open since the start of the new school year in September 2021 with clear guidelines on prevention measures to allow children to return safely to the classroom. Needed supplies such as soaps, hand sanitizers, face masks and digital thermometers have also been provided to schools with the support of development partners.

“Prolonged school closures and ongoing interruptions to in-class learning have severe adverse consequences, with significant impact on children’s learning and skills attainment and earning prospects, as well as on their physical and mental health, and that of their families. The evidence shows increases in anxiety, depression, and self-harm among school-aged children since the start of the pandemic. School closures have led to reduced physical activity, poor eating habits, and disrupted sleep patterns and collectively, this generation of schoolchildren could lose US$17 trillion in potential lifetime earnings,” said WHO Representative to Lao PDR, Dr Ying-Ru Jacqueline Lo.

“Achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goal for education was already going to be challenging enough before the pandemic, but now, UNICEF and UNESCO estimate that education budgets in the region will need to increase by at least 7% to stay within striking distance of those targets,” added Dr Lo.

While online education can guarantee some continuity of learning for some children, these services are no substitute for in-person attendance. Access to online learning remains uneven, especially for disadvantaged children who bear the brunt of the shortcomings of digital education. Importantly, for some children, school attendance contributes to a safer living environment, with less time at home decreasing the risk of domestic violence, just as less screen time reduces the risk of online harm.

Over the past few months, we have seen schools in many countries safely stay open and reopen, with additional mitigation measures in place. This includes for example in Japan, the implementation of staggered arrivals and redesigned timetables. In Lao PDR, the government has done everything in their power to keep schools open, including a checklist of mitigation measures developed in close collaboration between the health and education sectors, WHO and UNICEF, along with active engagement with parents and local communities. The school authorities and Village Education Development Committee members also help monitor implementation of these mitigation measures.

There is no such thing as zero risk – going forward, this means we are still likely to detect cases as a reflection of community transmission, but the risks are manageable with robust mitigation strategies. Policymakers must consider the local context for resuming in-school learning and keeping schools open, including factors such as the level of community transmission and the capacity to detect and respond to an increase in cases.

Now, greater numbers of parents, teaching and other staff, eligible students and eligible individuals within households are being vaccinated, offering greater community protection against severe illness and death. However, vaccination of children should still not be a pre-requisite for children to go back to the classroom.

There are other 'safe school' measures that can be used alongside vaccination as part of a multi-layered approach to reduce COVID-19 transmission. These include proper mask use, physical distancing, adequate ventilation, personal hygiene practices, regular cleaning and disinfection and promoting a ‘stay home when sick’ policy. If schools with the support of parents and the wider community strictly follow these measures, schools can continue to operate safely, and children can continue learning in the classroom.

Maintaining vigilance, promoting vaccination for eligible groups and adherence to all of the other measures, is critical – not only for schools, but also for our broader efforts to suppress COVID-19 transmission in the community. We need to work towards a sustainable approach and move away from school closures or only partial openings, to staying fully open. The consequences of keeping children out of their classrooms are grave and far-reaching. Children must be given the opportunity to thrive again – schools must continue to stay open.

Both UNICEF and WHO remain committed to continue to support the safe operations of schools so children’s learning will not be disrupted again by the COVID-19 pandemic.

But I already said I was fully supportive of the idea that kids should be in school - I don't need any convincing.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sounds like somebody was on a power trip - were the restrictions you describe approved by the LGO etc?

Yes, she was accused of that, but I think it was mainly an overabundance of caution and fear of superiors in the government

The residents of Subic Bay Freeport have a unique government situation.  I think there are 500-600 houses and then other multi-residents structures actually inside the old U.S. Navy base.  Almost all the houses were originally built by the Navy.  We don't have the normal barangay / LGU representation.  We have the chairperson and a board of directors who are mostly business related.  Residents are kind of a sideline for the executives, but they also carry some weight because a lot of residents are either freeport business owners or connected Filipinos, or both.

Actually, the former chairwoman was very open and supportive to the residents.  When Covid first hit, there were no cases around here and I think she was looser than average.  Then the head of IATF paid a visit and it appears he/she laid down the law.  After that she always erred on the restrictive side.

She was active in our neighborhood FB group.  Her final message:

I know I run short of all your expectations but I hope you believe that I tried very hard.

Thank you for bearing with me.

All the best,

Amy Eisma

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But I already said I was fully supportive of the idea that kids should be in school - I don't need any convincing.

Convincing was not the point.  That is the first message of that type that I have seen from an organization such as WHO, so I shared it.

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not spoiling for a fight OMW, but such emotive language is what winds me up when it comes to Covid discussion - kids have NOT been locked up for 2 years.  My son has loved the online system so horses for courses I guess.  

Edit to Add - For the avoidance of doubt, I absolutely agree that education should take place in schools rather than at home 

I expect that the impact on children is very specific to their home and family situation. My daughter who had just turned 2 when COVID started was impacted. There is no family close to us and she has no siblings. No neighbor kids either. She was starved for companionship of children her own age. The preschool we had signed her up for closed. The playgrounds were closed. All places where children could gather were closed. Fortunately we live in a midwest state which never had any statewide mandates, only local restrictions which started relaxing by the start of summer 2020. The playgrounds reopened and we found a mall 30 miles away with a large play area which was open. At first she would make a quick friend at the playground then have a complete meltdown when that friend had to leave 20 minutes later. She would continue to try and play with older children even when they were mean to her. She was so starved for companionship that first 6 months when she had limited opportunities to socialize with kids her own age. We finally got her into a preschool at the start of 2021 and since then she has done much better. BTW, only the adults wore masks at the preschool, no children were required to wear masks. Since last fall no one has been required to wear masks at her preschool.

I feel very fortunate to live in a midwest US state which never had any statewide mandates and where local restrictions started relaxing after only a few months. Many on this forum live in the Philippines, Australia and other places which were very strict with rules and regulations during COVID. That was not our experience. The national US news focuses on the east/west coasts where blue states (Democrat controlled) had many mandates and strict rules. There were many other states not named Florida in flyover country (states in the middle of the US) which had lax rules and no mandates like Florida. They just had a low profile when it comes to the national news. For example, we went camping for a week in Aug 2020 at a campground on lake Michigan (in Wisconsin) and only wore mask a few times when shopping. in Nov 2020 we took our RV down to the gulf coast for a week. We went to the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc. and life was almost normal with only having to wear masks now and then.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

My daughter who had just turned 2 when COVID started was impacted. There is no family close to us and she has no siblings. No neighbor kids either. She was starved for companionship of children her own age. The preschool we had signed her up for closed. The playgrounds were closed. All places where children could gather were closed.

That is close to some of the experiences with my youngest.  She was 3 and in pre-school when it started, and school ended right as Covid started.  My now 8 year old had her 6th birthday party at the school, and that was the last day the school was open.  Around March 16th, 2020.  The 3 year old was doing great there.  She is strong willed, very sociable, but with a quick temper.  Being in the class with well trained teachers was a great help to her.  Since then, bigger, stronger, smarter, but oh that temper.  She and her sister fight a lot and that would probably be mitigated a lot during that time with exposure to lots of kids, teachers and other adults.  They get tired of only having each other to play with.

Now that she / they are able to at least get out of the house, she is able to mingle and the fighting at home is less.  Still working on that.  She is a leader when she meets new kids, and they are often older.  She will be 6 next month, and a few days ago at Kidzoona, she had 3 older kids following her around while she barked orders to them on what they would do next!  Same at a pool last Sunday.  Her 8 year old sister usually finds someone about her age to play with.  Ironically, it does not look like our 3 private schools will have face to face this year, yet Kidzoona is packed with a hundred or more kids.

My 8 year old and 17 year old go to Manila Times College (Jake's old high school).  The 17 year old will move on to another college / university next year.  It should be a great school in many ways but we decided to move the 8 year old to another school next year.  The main reason is because the 2nd grade class is only 2 students and the entire elementary (PYP) is only 8 students!  Really nice facilities but no students!  At the "new" school, she will have at least 15 classmates.

Here is some more irony.  The school asked my daughter to be a model for school promotional pictures and video.  They know she will be leaving.  We decided to let her do it because she would have fun.  We don't dislike the school and hope they can get their enrollment up.  The shoot was today.  In two years of school there, this will most likely be the only time she get to wear the (borrowed) uniform and see some classmates.  This is my wife's picture of Katy with a half Aussie boy Francisco.

277544340_499935214962922_4400700003939288183_n.jpg

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

I feel very fortunate to live in a midwest US state which never had any statewide mandates and where local restrictions started relaxing after only a few months. Many on this forum live in the Philippines, Australia and other places which were very strict with rules and regulations during COVID. That was not our experience. The national US news focuses on the east/west coasts where blue states (Democrat controlled) had many mandates and strict rules. There were many other states not named Florida in flyover country (states in the middle of the US) which had lax rules and no mandates like Florida. They just had a low profile when it comes to the national news. For example, we went camping for a week in Aug 2020 at a campground on lake Michigan (in Wisconsin) and only wore mask a few times when shopping. in Nov 2020 we took our RV down to the gulf coast for a week. We went to the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc. and life was almost normal with only having to wear masks now and then.

A few more thing to add. We never saw a checkpoint, we never had to leave our name & phone number when we entered a business, we have never been asked to show proof of vaccination, there is no such thing as a vaccine passport or special app you put on your phone.

• Like 1