Hey Joe

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

Been called a lot worse, Don't bother me at all I just smile and move on.:smile:

I kind of take it as a compliment. For all the GI's that passed through during WWII.  My father in law talks about how the rural schools had GIs teaching English after the war. Apparently he had some extensive contact with the American military in Mindanao.  He shocked the family by busting out some pretty good English while talking to me.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

I am seldom referred to as "Joe".  But the few time that it happens I smile and wave just as Dave suggested.  What I just love is when Filipinos I may not know call me by name.  A few years back I was riding my scooter on the way into town.  As I passed three young girls they got excited and cried out in unison "Hello Sir MIchael Johnson".  Turns out it was three of the little "love sponges" I knew from church where kids like to sit on my lap.  Last week my wife and I went to a building supply center to buy paint and ceiling trim.  The young man in the paint section said "Hello Mr. Johnson".  My last visit to the store was two years prior when buying 80 meters of new tile for the deck.  I was both impressed and humbled that he would not only remember me but also remember my name.  I have found Filipinos to be a warm, gracious, and welcoming people who have a genuine desire to communicate with "kanos" as long as we treat them with the respect they deserve.  My opinion and experiences of course.

Don't get me wrong, I get along fine with Filopino's and Filopina's, otherwise I wouldn't have lived here so long. Being called "kano" would be quite endearing, if like you, I was American, but I'm not :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Colsie
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, baronapart said:

I kind of take it as a compliment. For all the GI's that passed through during WWII.  My father in law talks about how the rural schools had GIs teaching English after the war. Apparently he had some extensive contact with the American military in Mindanao.  He shocked the family by busting out some pretty good English while talking to me.

Let me guess, you're American :hystery:

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Not sure which social circles you move in but this certainly isn't accurate in my experience.  We're not living in the 1950s anymore!

In JJReyes defence, from where I grew up in the UK. Even if you look at someone, with what they interpret as "the wrong way" could lead to some serious altercation, as for a total stranger shouting something at you, well obviously that's a good enough reason for most to get stuck in :bash:

Edited by Colsie

Colsie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep...like most stuff it's not the words used but the intention behind them. I've experienced it plenty times here, we all have, and it's probably 80% friendly and 20% not so much. I don't get upset about it as we're kinda familiar with the 'Jock' expression back home where the intention is mostly friendly  - mostly!

I was in Hong Kong a whole and the locals called us Gweilo - white devil. Somehow this term has been classified by courts there as non-racist - yeah, right!

But back home in bonnie Scotland, being a scot, how would feel to be called a "Sassenach" every day :hystery:

• Haha 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

But back home in bonnie Scotland, being a scot, how would feel to be called a "Sassenach" every day :hystery:

I would say it would be a definite improvement, way better than being called a ''Sweaty''.

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eddie1 said:

I would say it would be a definite improvement, way better than being called a ''Sweaty''.

I think most name calling here has more to do with ignorance than racism, having spent quite a few years in England with the military in predominantly English units I got my fair share of abuse for being Scottish, even to the extent of being threatened with jail if I never said a word a certain way.  It never phased me once, infact it usually pissed off the person dishing out the abuse when I'd laugh at them and remind them they'll never be Scottish.

One of my best mates was Black and used to call me Honky all the time and I'd threaten to put him in chains and send him back into the fields to pick cotton if he never shut up and we'd laugh at each other all the time.  In 24yrs I heard loads of name calling and usually from best mates to each other, you learn not to be offended and that's how I treat it here. 

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, baronapart said:

The earlier group were the Thomasites, 600 teachers sent by the United States government to the Philippines to establish a public school system after the Spanish-American war.  The name came from their transport ship, the USS Thomas.  GI's during WWII also taught English, but it was not an organized activity.  The GI's were volunteers.  The last major group were Peace Corp volunteers.  The biggest contingency were sent to the Philippines.  They taught English in rural schools.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, Colsie said:

In JJReyes defence, from where I grew up in the UK. Even if you look at someone, with what they interpret as "the wrong way" could lead to some serious altercation, as for a total stranger shouting something at you, well obviously that's a good enough reason for most to get stuck in :bash:

Yes, but that's completely different to what was being described. The idea that folk only talk to someone if they have been formally introduced is bizarre IMO.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, Colsie said:

Just my opinion but I'd say Sassenach is used more often than not in a disparaging way whilst Jock is mostly used in a good-natured way.  Plenty of Scots go by the nickname of Jock but I don't know any English who use the nickname Sassenach.   

• Like 1