Bus operator urges LTFRB to defer implementation of no tinted windows, no curtain policy in all PUVs

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I just cannot fathom why the LTFRB would implement a rule requiring buses to do away with tinted windows and/or curtains.  Those buses can turn into ovens when the sun shines.  I wonder if this is the same individual who proposed putting shields on motorcycles to separate rider and passenger on motorcycles.  

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/bus-operator-urges-ltfrb-defer-112200592.html

A BUS operator in Cebu is asking the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to defer the implementation of and restudy its no tinted windows, no curtain policy in all public utility vehicles (PUVs), including modern jeepneys.

Former Barili mayor Julieto Flores, chairman of the Cebu Provincial Operators Transport Cooperative, told SunStar Cebu Monday, July 18, 2022, that window tints and curtains are installed to control the temperature inside the vehicles on a sunny day.

Last weekend, the LTFRB Central Visayas (LTFRB 7), together with the Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group, apprehended some drivers who violated the order.

A fine of at least P5,000 was also imposed on the violators.

Flores said the LTFRB should review its order and conduct a consultation with the drivers and operators on the issue.

In its Department Order 2017-11, the LTFRB cited safety as the reason windows should not be tinted and curtains should be removed inside PUVs. The LTFRB is an agency under the Department of Transportation.

“Please be notified that windshields and windows for all PUVs shall not be tinted... Further, for the safety purposes of all passengers inside the unit, we would like to urge all operators to remove all curtains installed inside the vehicle,” read a portion of the notice.

However, Flores said this will only bring inconvenience to the passengers, especially now that the weather is very hot.

According to Flores, the curtains are installed in PUVs to block the heat of the sun from entering the vehicle and to maintain the cool temperature in air-conditioned PUVs.

Flores said they will seek legal remedies to stop the LTFRB from implementing the order.

SunStar Cebu reached out to LTFRB 7 Director Eduardo Montealto Jr. but received no response as of press time.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

including modern jeepneys.

This is one of my pet peeves about driving here. Now I agree with you that curtains should be allowed on busses, every country I have visited has tinted window or curtains. But not on UV express, taxis or the other  smaller vehicles. Especially privately owned vehicles.

In my view it is about safety. :stop_80_anim_gif:I have borrowed a car once that was heavily tinted. Frankly I had to roll down the windows at night so I could see with an unobstructed view. Next (at least for me) when I drive I actually look through the vehicle in front of me to see possible road problems ahead, this method is impossible when the Ford Tahoe Suv in front has a blacked out rear window...:hystery:.  

Like I said these are just my pet peeves. :boohoo:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

My last job in Australia was as operations manager for a urban bus transit company in Cairns - The tropical north of Australia, similar climate to here.  No tinting on buses would be considered a safety hazard in Australia and a danger to both passengers and drivers, particularly is the AC fails.  These are sealed units with no natural airflow whatsoever and heat up extremely rapidly to 70+ Celsius and higher internally.  LTFRB needs to pull its head out of its arse.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

particularly is the AC fails

Do you know "regular" busses in the Philippines do not even have AC and the windows open?  On those busses I can see a reason for no curtains.  But yeah, on the aircon busses they need those curtains and tint.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you know "regular" busses in the Philippines do not even have AC and the windows open?  On those busses I can see a reason for no curtains.  But yeah, on the aircon busses they need those curtains and tint.

It's changing, the Ceres Liners I see around Negros are probably over 50% AC now.  But yes, the old ones have heaps of natural airflow.  

Funny thing is, in Cairns, we looked at the Chinese buses that are becoming prevalent here and our engineers and mechanics said not a great idea.  They estimated their life at about 10-15 years as opposed to 20-25 from one of the European or Japanese manufacturers. Undoubtedly that will improve eventually; remember Hyudai's first hit the western markets?  They were less than ordinary but now, as good as anything else you can buy in the mass market. 

Edited by BrettGC

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The idiot that made this decision is probably related to the one that initially said that the new 1000PHP bill shouldn't be folded at all....

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The idiot that made this decision is probably related to the one that initially said that the new 1000PHP bill shouldn't be folded at all....

He's his cousin, Pedro.:console:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I wonder if this is the same individual who proposed putting shields on motorcycles to separate rider and passenger on motorcycles.  

That was a fellow who guess what , had a factory that was ready to produce them almost instantly. A Congressman I wont name here.. wonderful how these elected folk get into public service and serve their constituents so well , without thought for fame or garnering wealth etc. Imagine how many lives those motorbike shields saved.... LOL!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It's changing, the Ceres Liners I see around Negros are probably over 50% AC now.  But yes, the old ones have heaps of natural airflow.  

Funny thing is, in Cairns, we looked at the Chinese buses that are becoming prevalent here and our engineers and mechanics said not a great idea.  They estimated their life at about 10-15 years as opposed to 20-25 from one of the European or Japanese manufacturers. Undoubtedly that will improve eventually; remember Hyudai's first hit the western markets?  They were less than ordinary but now, as good as anything else you can buy in the mass market. 

I don't doubt that the professionals' opinions are spot on but it comes down to money - obviously the Japanese and European vehicles are more expensive and when you're looking to build a fleet from scratch it makes sense to get as many on the road as you can as quickly as you can.  We can argue false economy etc etc but I can't really fault them for their thinking.

Agree with you on the Ceres Liners - I'd say at least 50% are the more-modern models here in Iloilo area.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't doubt that the professionals' opinions are spot on but it comes down to money - obviously the Japanese and European vehicles are more expensive and when you're looking to build a fleet from scratch it makes sense to get as many on the road as you can as quickly as you can.  We can argue false economy etc etc but I can't really fault them for their thinking.

I get it as well, we just do business a little differently in the west I guess, play a longer game.. Well the number crunchers do anyway.  

• Like 1