Tourist Extension Update

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Went and picked up my latest extension today.  As stated in a previous thread, Dumaguete BI has no issues processing extensions well in advance.  In my case it was just on 2 months early, expiry was 16 Sep, submitted paperwork 15 July.  I can't speak for other offices though.  

Just for info, now the COVID restrictions have been relaxed they're doing the full biometric thing again, photo, finger prints etc and the registration document and certification they staple in the back of your passport.  

This was my second 6 month extension and it was significantly cheaper.  My first one back in March was 10,220PHP plus 3,000PHP express fee (13,220PHP total).  This one was 4,430PHP plus express fee of 2,500PHP (6930PHP total), so just under half the original's price .  

As always, the Dumaguete BI staff were nothing but helpful and friendly.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

4,430PHP plus express fee of 2,500PHP (6930PHP total),

There was a time when Dumaguete office was saying that the express fee is mandatory if you want a 6 month visa and optional if you want a 2 month visa and are willing to wait a week.  Is it still the same?  The fees are similar to what they were years ago.  I was paying approximately 20K pesos a year for a long time.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There was a time when Dumaguete office was saying that the express fee is mandatory if you want a 6 month visa and optional if you want a 2 month visa and are willing to wait a week.  Is it still the same?  The fees are similar to what they were years ago.  I was paying approximately 20K pesos a year for a long time.

Yeah, express fee is mandatory on the 6 month, not so on the 2 month.  

• Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yeah, express fee is mandatory on the 6 month, not so on the 2 month.  

At what locations are they giving out 6 month extensions? I have been refused 3 times in Bicol. Just saying.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

At what locations are they giving out 6 month extensions? I have been refused 3 times in Bicol. Just saying.

Dumaguete - it's a field office.  Bicol must be a lower tier office if they're not offering 6 month extensions, satellite office maybe?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brett, seems like a trip to Manila  might be the go, box a hotel for a couple of days, sure would be worth it.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks Brett, seems like a trip to Manila  might be the go, box a hotel for a couple of days, sure would be worth it.

Yeah, probably be a big saving long term.  

Possum
Posted
Posted

My daughter went today to renew her visitor visa in Quezon Province office. She leaves in two weeks but visa expires next week. She didn't want a record as over stayer.

They told her she had to pay for ACR card and it would be ready in about two weeks. She asked if she really needed ACR and they said it was mandatory to pay for it. The immigration lady said if don't like it just pay the fine at the airport and be illegal. Total cost including "express" fee 7627.

They don't stamp the passport anymore they  just give a paper receipt. One lady waiting there who was also renewing didn't realize this and didn't bring her paper receipt. She requested they look at their records and see that she renewed previously as it was a 2 hour journey back to where she was staying. She said very rudely, no you have to bring paper receipt or be illegal.

Tat used to be a very pleasant office to visit, but no longer.

• Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Greglm said:

She said very rudely, no you have to bring paper receipt or be illegal.

Yep.  I was accosted by the BI agent on exit from the country when I brought the ECC without the original receipt.  Perhaps too many of them were being faked?  Anyway, he wanted me to go back and get it but a little begging got him to let me pass.

Possum
Posted
Posted

I just wonder why they no longer stamp your passport when you extend your visa. I extended for two years at 90 intervals [because that's all they'd give me] and they stamped my passport each time. When my daughter and wife asked why they don't stamp the passport showing the new expiration date the immigration officer said it was because they gave a receipt. Of course they did that before.

Maybe they're out of ink??

• Haha 3