BI Rules on Balikbayan Privileges

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The European Union has extremely porous borders.  We have a similar problem with undocumented immigrants crossing from the southern border.  The advantage of facial recognition technology is to quickly process those who are not a security risk.  Immigration officers could then concentrate on others.  During our last cruise starting from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, we visited 8 European ports without ever showing our passports.  We were in Schengen countries 6 weeks before the passports were stamped in Greece upon our exit.

Are you saying you didn't show your passports upon entering the EU? Travelling within you wouldn't need to in the same way I wouldn't need to if I moved from Florida to California for example but I would have had to when I entered the USA.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Are you saying you didn't show your passports upon entering the EU? Travelling within you wouldn't need to in the same way I wouldn't need to if I moved from Florida to California for example but I would have had to when I entered the USA.

Yes.  Our passports were stamped exiting Greece.  Nothing before that.  

You will need your passport crossing the United States within 100 miles of the southern border (Mexico).  There are both permanent and mobile US Border Patrol guards along the road who asked questions.  The first is, "Are you a US citizen?"  If not, they will check if your papers are in order.  As you approach the checkpoint, they have equipment to scan your vehicle license plate.  I think your profile determines whether or not they want to stop you for questioning.  

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  Our passports were stamped exiting Greece.  Nothing before that.  

You will need your passport crossing the United States within 100 miles of the southern border (Mexico).  There are both permanent and mobile US Border Patrol guards along the road who asked questions.  The first is, "Are you a US citizen?"  If not, they will check if your papers are in order.  As you approach the checkpoint, they have equipment to scan your vehicle license plate.  I think your profile determines whether or not they want to stop you for questioning.  

Sounds very strange that you didn't get a stamp when entering the European Union. That is where the checks are supposed to be, but once inside, there is minimal control. Problem with that is that many criminals are already inside and can move freely without being tracked by the authorities.

You also need a passport or a valid national ID-card when traveling in Europe. You must have a way to identify yourself to authorities if being asked.

There is permanent and mobile border patrols within Europe too, as well as the equipment to scan vehicles and cameras reading license plates. However, the criminals are not stupid and know to use a "clean" plate when crossing a border.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Sounds very strange that you didn't get a stamp when entering the European Union

Stranger they didn't say anything when one leaves without an entry stamp... personally, as a US citizen with Global Entry and TSA Pre in my wallet... I wouldn't want to start explaining how that happened if the computers started synching up... might lose both.  I would have demanded an entry stamp AND exit stamp.  Borders are loose sometimes...except for the law abiding :shades:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Stranger they didn't say anything when one leaves without an entry stamp... personally, as a US citizen with Global Entry and TSA Pre in my wallet... I wouldn't want to start explaining how that happened if the computers started synching up... might lose both.  I would have demanded an entry stamp AND exit stamp.  Borders are loose sometimes...except for the law abiding :shades: 

In addition to US passports and Global Entry, we have US passport cards which is the size of your driver's license.  Fits in your wallet.  The intended use is for crossing the Canadian and Mexican borders and returning by ship from several Caribbean destinations.  We have them in our wallets because there are countries requiring you to carry your passport at all times.  We are reluctant because of possible loss.  Passports are left at the hotel safe.  We carry copies of the passports, passport cards and South Dakota driver's licenses with a star for identity.  The star signifies it is a valid federal identity card for air travel.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

Sounds very strange that you didn't get a stamp when entering the European Union. That is where the checks are supposed to be, but once inside, there is minimal control. Problem with that is that many criminals are already inside and can move freely without being tracked by the authorities.

You also need a passport or a valid national ID-card when traveling in Europe. You must have a way to identify yourself to authorities if being asked.

There is permanent and mobile border patrols within Europe too, as well as the equipment to scan vehicles and cameras reading license plates. However, the criminals are not stupid and know to use a "clean" plate when crossing a border.

We visit Europe once or twice a year, being careful to keep it within the 90 days total stay under the Schengen rules.  Since the entry was never stamped, how do authorities track the number of days we have already spent?  Anyway, we decided not to worry since this is probably a bureaucratic snafu.

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2022 at 7:06 AM, JJReyes said:

We visit Europe once or twice a year, being careful to keep it within the 90 days total stay under the Schengen rules.  Since the entry was never stamped, how do authorities track the number of days we have already spent?  Anyway, we decided not to worry since this is probably a bureaucratic snafu.

I wonder if all the cruise passengers were registered in by the cruise company ? Maybe you gave them a copy of your passport?

Definitely seems amiss. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Are you saying that you never get an entry stamp when going to Europe??

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder if all the cruise passengers were registered in by the cruise company had? Maybe you gave them a copy of ulyour passport?

Definitely seems amiss. 

Possible.  All passengers are required to register prior to boarding.  This includes your passport information.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

re you saying that you never get an entry stamp when going to Europe??

No.  This was our first Transatlantic repositioning cruise.  Maybe the rules are different.  All our other visits to Europe during the past 20 years are by air.  

• Like 1