Three years on from last visa run and returning once again as a tourist with another BI warning

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Second time exit and return as a tourist follow up 3 years later from this topic about my return at the time and now. https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/30811-my-visa-woes/

So my second visa run

First issue I had was I forgot to print out a copy of travel insurance for my Filipina partner. Although as far as I know there is no law requiring it immigration wanted it for her to leave. I had the Emails on my phone but they were password protected by the insurer and finding the password via cell phone was a problem and I could not open proof of insurance. Eventually after some stress and not sure if my words to immigration where I said there is no law requiring it she let us leave. I also got lectured by immigration about printing proof and lectured by GF for not printing even though I was sure I did.

Arriving in Malaysia immigration was easy. They removed the need for their app on August the 1st even though airline announcements say its required but I knew it wasn't. Just passport, photo and fingerprint scan and on our way. Did not look at vax certificate.

Arriving back in Cebu airport. Same issue I had 3 years ago but first validate the one health pass. Woman said something I could not understand and my partner could not understand her either. Anyway passed that and smart ass me said to the woman to have a great day as she basically yelled at us. I asked my partner what the woman was saying and she said that she is DOH and cant speak English or cant speak at all as she could not even understand her.

Now on to immigration. My partner went through E passport control and I told her to wait for me just near where I process mine incase l need her.

I get to do mine, immigration looks though my passport. He says my hair is darker now and I reply just a bit.

He then goes on to question how long I am staying so I just said the date of my exit flight. He studies my passport more and asked what I do and I said retired. He asks something else but im struggling to hear through the glass, him and his supervisor standing behind him have a laugh probably at my expense.

Studies passport more and says I need to secure a permanent visa. He says wheres your partner and I say over there and he calls her over as I had trouble hearing. He talks to her somewhat saying I need a visa like SRRV or a permanent visa. He talks to her and some to me. I said I have heard of SRRV but Im really well aware of it.

He studies some more and says to my partner that this is the second time I have done this, left for a few days and come back but he says next time I wont be allowed entry without a visa. I kept my mouth shut but wanted to say that the law says I have to leave at 36 months but does not say I cant come back and start another 36 months like people have done for years but I felt its best to say nothing and just get back in.

He seemed to be using a calculator working out how long I have been here but After some time I was allowed through with a warning that next time I will be refused entry without a visa.

Back in the Philippines and taxi ride realising after being in a modern clean city for 4 days that this place is crap. Just shows what you get used to.

Slightly off topic

Travelling on Scoot, only one hour between connecting flights. I thought it was short but since same airline they must have it worked out but leaving Cebu the flight was 45 minutes late. Made up a bit of time on the way but by the time they parked the plane and being a big plane and full it took a long time to get off. Arriving in Singapore and it was already departure time and we rush to find a screen with gate number as we were not given it in Cebu.

I had a choice, go left or right, luckily I chose right as we looked for a screen. Suddenly I seen a gate with our flight number so rushed in and they are waiting for us. Hurry they say screening our stuff then to validate boarding pass where they say we held up the flight. I said our plane was 45 minute late leaving and not our fault, but others on same flight made it they say and I said yes but we were near the back of the plane which took a long time to get off. Anyway rush down the boarding bridge where they are yelling run, run.  :gottarun_80_anim_gif:Flight left 10 minutes later.

Malaysia

I said we need to get luggage at carousell number 9 but I bet its not there. I was correct and no luggage for us so fill out forms and they say they will call in the morning. Did not hear from them and numbers they gave us go unanswered.

We did get or stuff back the following day after that so thats one good thing but added stress to the trip.

My thoughts on the city of  Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia 

I will post my opinions on Kuala Lumpur in another topic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

says to my partner that this is the second time I have done this, left for a few days and come back but he says next time I wont be allowed entry without a visa.

Just a thought,,(and I dont have a dog in this hunt, have a 13A). But if they are starting to crack down, and to avoid a potential problem 3 years from now. How about "loosing" your passport. Get a new one from your embassy. You would be a "first time" visitor.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scott h said:

But if they are starting to crack down, and to avoid a potential problem 3 years from now. How about "loosing" your passport.

I have posted about similar "crack downs" at least 10 years ago.  It just depends on the official who checks you through and what mood they are in.  JGF had a bad day.  By the time he does it again there is a good chance he will have renewed his passport, as I had to do at some point.  They only look at the passport in front of them.  The renewal is not the same passport number as the previous one.  So just renewing your passport will eliminate all the data they have on you.  Strange, but I did that 5 years ago.  (EDIT:  I considered it wise to leave for a few weeks, renew my passport, and come back with a clean one at that time.) 12 years as a tourist, leaving and returning within days, makes me somewhat qualified to make these comments.  But the most important comment is, as always, Everyone may, (and probably will), have a different experience every time they have any dealings with BI Philippines.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I kept my mouth shut but wanted to say that the law says I have to leave at 36 months but does not say I cant come back and start another 36 months like people have done for years

In this case the law is less relevant than the whims of whichever immigration agents are on duty, and they are increasingly going by the unwritten law that what you're describing is 'abusing' the 9a.  They've been cracking down on that for years, and many do get bounced back to wherever they came from.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

just renewing your passport will eliminate all the data they have on you.

You sure about that? I've seen them check names and come back with all entry / exit dates.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

You sure about that? I've seen them check names and come back with all entry / exit dates.

If you have seen them then I am glad I said:

17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Everyone may, (and probably will), have a different experience every time they have any dealings with BI Philippines.

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Agree its just to easy for one to renew passport so as to delete all all info, my own feeling is ats there on the computer.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Will be interested in hearing your views on your few days in KL. I lived there for 5 years , 2005 to 2010. 

Fun in places but otherwise quite a boring spread out city that requires a car and driving huge distance to get around. Im glad I chose Manila to live rather than KL.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you have seen them then I am glad I said:

Yep...I would not be surprised to find out that the system to transfer the data from the "lost" passport using the previous passport number that has to be provided when applying for a new one isn't always handled properly. That said, I would be very surprised if this was intentional as they would absolutely want to keep track of such "stuff" on an ongoing basis.