My Plan Is To Live Until 100.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not in retirement yet, still working here so maybe my approach is different.  I cannot afford to blow all my savings and income on having fun as I have a 10-year old and a younger wife who will outlive my by a fair bit (hopefully). 

When will you retire and start collecting SS?  Your wife and kid can both get a payment when you start collecting.  That made my decision to start collecting at 62 a no brainer.  Your wife (caregiver of child) will probably get 50% of your payment and the kid the same.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

When will you retire and start collecting SS?  Your wife and kid can both get a payment when you start collecting.  That made my decision to start collecting at 62 a no brainer.  Your wife (caregiver of child) will probably get 50% of your payment and the kid the same.

I'm not American

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm not American

Indeed it seems we are the poorer relations when it comes to retirement payouts , I’ve tried to compensate that with savings over the years for the wife just incase she outlives me 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Sorry, I knew that but got you confused with Mike J.  You look alike.  :smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sorry, I knew that but got you confused with Mike J.  You look alike.  :smile:

What's you talkin about? :hystery:

Self portrait with both ears.jpg

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Indeed it seems we are the poorer relations when it comes to retirement payouts , I’ve tried to compensate that with savings over the years for the wife just incase she outlives me 

Yep...my wife will get zilch when I pop off as she's more than 10 years younger than me.  That said, I'll swim against the tide and say I don't actually disagree with this - my wife has never even been to the UK nor contributed to the "system" so why should she get anything from the UK gov?  

Others may disagree and I can see why.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep...my wife will get zilch when I pop off as she's more than 10 years younger than me.  That said, I'll swim against the tide and say I don't actually disagree with this - my wife has never even been to the UK nor contributed to the "system" so why should she get anything from the UK gov?  

Others may disagree and I can see why.

My wife worked in the UK for 12 years, only need 10 years minimum paying NI stamps. Problem is she will be 67 retirement age as it is, and I may not be around by then, and I know she wont claim. She's paying into SSS over here whatever It's called.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

My wife worked in the UK for 12 years, only need 10 years minimum paying NI stamps. Problem is she will be 67 retirement age as it is, and I may not be around by then, and I know she wont claim. She's paying into SSS over here whatever It's called.

If I’m not around Emma won’t claim anything , she has been paying into a private pension for so many years not a lot but everything helps 

• Like 2