Car Batteries - Update

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, RBM said:

Have had similar run to on my way  Chevi Spin.

Now battery of choice is Panasonic, not the cheapest but coming up to 3 years and still strong. Once the run is over will replace with same.

I just watched this video on how to test your battery:

Then I tested my Panasonic battery in my Honda Brio.  My first Panasonic lasted about 2.5 years.  This one is about 3 years 4 months and once in a while the starting is slow or even does not turn over first try.  Second try it kicks in.    So, using his method, 2 minutes light on, it measured 12.62.  However then using his CCA measure, it dipped to just under 10, 9.98.  Still has some life but my wife and daughter are the main drivers, so I will pickup another Panasonic.  They only have a 15 month warranty but actual performance is better.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/13/2022 at 8:36 AM, RBM said:

Now battery of choice is Panasonic, not the cheapest but coming up to 3 years and still strong.

Actually, for my little Brio, the price seems very good.  I did price the big ones for my Trailblazer and those were high, but for the Brio I paid 2900 in 2018 and 2850 in 2020.  Very tiny battery.  I'm going to guess it will be closer to 3500 this time.  Everything has gone up.  I bought both at the same shop and after I bought the second, there was a big fire on the floors above the shop, and they had to rebuild.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/15/2024 at 8:55 PM, OnMyWay said:

Actually, for my little Brio, the price seems very good.  I did price the big ones for my Trailblazer and those were high, but for the Brio I paid 2900 in 2018 and 2850 in 2020.  Very tiny battery.  I'm going to guess it will be closer to 3500 this time.  Everything has gone up.  I bought both at the same shop and after I bought the second, there was a big fire on the floors above the shop, and they had to rebuild.

Heads up for Panasonic battery fans.  I am told they have exited the market and / or stopped making batteries in Thailand.

I first checked at the place where I had bought the last two Panasonic.  No longer selling but their English is not good so I don't know why.  So I called my regular shop that sells / sold them.  They said they had the one for my Brio.  As advised here, I checked what I guess is the manufacturing date.  June 2021.  No thanks.  She told me about the Panasonic changes.  I let them sell me a Japanese brand Raiden.  15 month warranty.  p5000.  We will see how it goes.

So, be warned, if you still find Panasonic batteries, they may be old.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have had an Exide ( made for Suzuki) on my Ciaz for nigh on 8 years, Excellent :tiphat:

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have had an Exide ( made for Suzuki) on my Ciaz for nigh on 8 years, Excellent :tiphat:

That is amazing in this climate!

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That is amazing in this climate!

Amazing Jack, my best is close to 4 years, heavy duty Panasonic

• Like 1