Typhoon time again

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Heavy rains here all night.  Not much wind.

Here in Moalboal windy, maybe 30km or so, and lots of rain yesterday.  Still windy today but so far only a bit of light rain.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Going off memory but I think it was a little over six weeks for us.  Others in Moalboal took longer.  It was months until we had any cell service or internet access which meant no ATMs and you could not do banking.  We had to travel to Carcar or Dumaguete to get cash.   I actually kept a daily journal for several weeks following the typhoon.  I read it a few days back.  It reflects the exhaustion in the days and weeks that followed.  Mentally, emotionally, and physically, just being exhausted at the end of each day.  How and where to find food, water, do I shower or wash clothing with what muni water I can get, what is happening outside of Moalboal, how do I tell my family and friends in the USA that I am okay, how long till we have power, where do we get cash, etc.?  One of my entries reads; "When I read this journal years from now will I ask myself - was it really that bad?"  I answer the question in the next sentence.  "Yeah, it really was and you were worried and depressed as hell".

If you can see me with binoculars I should probably stop peeing in the back yard?  :tongue:

image.png

Same situation here, AM ended up moving to Dumaguete in the end, needed to find somewhere for us to live anyway as I was arriving mid-January.  I think it was about 9-10 weeks before internet was restored, a little sooner for phone services.  

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Here in Moalboal windy, maybe 30km or so, and lots of rain yesterday.  Still windy today but so far only a bit of light rain.

Much the same here, good dump of rain and a brisk wind.  On the upside it cooled things down a bit.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Looking at Windy.com, the storm is reorganizing and growing over the WPS.  It will give Vietnam a good hit.

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Heavy rains here all night.  Not much wind.

Same here - definitely a bit of heavy rain overnight but no wind to talk of and we made no preparation and not so much as a plant pot overturned.  

Where I am we didn't even get much damage from the big one tail end of last year - power restored within the morning and internet back again by the evening. I don't give typhoons much thought as we seem to avoid the worst of them, luckily.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Same here - definitely a bit of heavy rain overnight but no wind to talk of and we made no preparation and not so much as a plant pot overturned.  

Where I am we didn't even get much damage from the big one tail end of last year - power restored within the morning and internet back again by the evening. I don't give typhoons much thought as we seem to avoid the worst of them, luckily.

I didn't know the storm went down that far south.

The first summer after I moved to Florida, we had 3 strong hurricanes come through.  I learned my lessons then about preparation.  According to my wife, I over prepare but I would rather be safe than sorry.  Simple stuff like filling both vehicles with gas, cleaning gutters, putting away things that might fly, etc.  We have only had one big wind event where all that paid off.  Now my wife says, "if you do all that, the storm will be small", and I say "if a strategy works, use it"!  :smile:

• Like 3

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

It was very windy here in Cabangan Zambales but not like the super typhoons I’ve experienced in Guam. The eye was forecasted to pass about 10 miles north of here but it veered further north to Masinloc 30 miles from here after crossing  the mountains.

This storm wasn’t very big, just powerful and moved very fast which helped I think. Zoom earth shows it exiting Masinloc at 102mph wind speed. We have a lot of tree limbs and debris piled up along the beach.

8BE7765F-1710-43C1-BF14-03CA5303C503.png

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Was pretty bad in Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija, not that much damage though. Blew a few of my mango trees over and made a mess of my greenhouse lol but that's about it.

ty1.jpg

ty2.jpg

ty3.jpg

ty4.jpg

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looks like the Dolomite Bay cleaners have a job for life. 

https://fb.watch/fNfmKjQfd3/

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Looks like the Dolomite Bay cleaners have a job for life. 

https://fb.watch/fNfmKjQfd3/

Was just watching ABS-CBN news and they had a reporter there.  I actually commented to AM "Huh, it's still there... ". She  laughed

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I seen a report on a news channel here in England, not to sure who was reporting but the lady was saying about the rain and wind and she was standing in the street but the rain had stopped, yes the street was flooding like ankle deep and she claimed when talking to a lady who was on the roof of a house and she said that these typhoons was getting stronger and it’s all down to climate change , now I am sure this last bit may have been added on by the reporter herself , they did not show us any people sitting on roofs , but you did see folk going about there daily things .