Marcos OKs optional use of masks indoor (not really)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

While the headline of the article say that Marcos okays optional use.  The article says Marcos "supports" but has yet to make it official.  But it appears Philippines is headed that direction soon. 

https://www.manilatimes.net/2022/10/26/news/marcos-oks-optional-use-of-masks-indoor/1863640

(Update) PRESIDENT Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. has supported a recommendation to make indoor mask-wearing voluntary with a goal of further boosting the economy, Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco said on Tuesday.

The easing of the country's health protocols was discussed during the President's meeting with his Cabinet on Tuesday in Malacañang.

"As a result of the Cabinet meeting this morning, it was agreed that the President would be issuing an executive order per the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases) recommendation to make indoor mask-wearing also voluntary all over the Philippines with few exceptions," Frasco said in a press briefing. 

She added that the wearing of masks will still be required in public transportation and medical facilities.

Remain vigilant, public urged

Frasco said persons unvaccinated against Covid-19, those with comorbidities and senior citizens are still "highly encouraged" to wear masks.

"But generally, the direction of the Marcos administration is to lift the remainder of travel restrictions, and that includes easing of mask mandates to allow our country to be at par with our Asean (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) neighbors who have long liberalized their mask mandates," the Tourism secretary noted.

The decision came over a month after Marcos signed an order making the wearing of masks outdoors optional.

Data from the IATF showed that "since September, there has been a decrease in Covid-19 cases by 2.8 percent," Frasco said.

"The lifting of the mask mandate [in outdoor spaces] in no way led to any surges in any parts of the country," she added.

The Tourism chief said the government is also looking at removing the remainder of Covid-19 stringent protocols such as the requirement of pre-departure testing in the form of RT-PCR.

She added that unvaccinated foreigners will be allowed entry into the country by presenting an antigen test taken 24 hours before their departure or taking an antigen test upon arrival in the Philippines.

"The overarching direction of the Marcos administration is to allow our country to convey an openness and readiness to the world to receive tourists and investments so that we would give our fellow Filipinos an opportunity to regain all the livelihood and losses that were incurred during the pandemic," Frasco said.

PH asked: Open economy 'as much as possible'

"We are optimistic that all of these restrictions being lifted by the Marcos administration can only redound to the benefit of the lives of millions of Filipinos [who stand] to benefit as well from the invigoration of the tourism industry," she added.

Meanwhile, Frasco said the government will mandate the use of electronic arrival (eArrival) card, a scan-and-go system, in airports beginning next month.

Starting November 1, the Bureau of Quarantine will require all inbound travelers to obtain an eArrival card within 72 hours prior to their departure from their country of origin.

Arriving travelers may secure an eArrival card by visiting the website onehealthpass.com.ph or by scanning the QR code indicated in the poster released by the Department of Health (DoH).

Frasco said the eArrival interface is more user-friendly and has a reduced number of questions needed to be answered by travelers.

During the meeting, she added, it was clarified that "the filling out of the eArrival card would not be made mandatory as a prerequisite to boarding, in other words, you can fill out the eArrival card at your own convenience prior to departure or upon arrival."

It was also agreed that special lanes will be provided at the airport for those who have not had the time to fill out the eArrival card.

"In the end, we simply cannot go on in a pandemic perspective, because we have to give our country an opportunity to thrive while maintaining basic health protocols, on one hand, and safeguarding and protecting livelihood and the economy, on the other. And this is the reason why the new [Covid-19] variant is being managed by the DoH, while the government is considering ways in which our economy can recover," Frasco said.

"Because of our President's position of prioritizing travel and tourism as a priority agenda of his administration and the sense of optimism and hope that has reverberated across the Philippines, there is great interest in the Philippines. This is actually well-reflected in our tourist arrivals," she added.

Marcos, in his weekly vlog released on Saturday, October 22, encouraged Filipinos to explore the beauty of the Philippines to spur economic growth.

He cited the need to promote local tourism to generate more economic activities in the country.

Domestic travel increased in 2021 with local trips reaching 37.27 million, higher by 38.16 percent from the 26.98 million recorded in 2020 when the Covid-19 pandemic struck, according to Department of Tourism data.

The country has also welcomed some 1.6 million international guests since opening up for leisure travel in February.

The DoH said it will await official guidance that will be issued by the Office of the President regarding the lifting of the masking mandate in indoor spaces.

"It is up for the [Office of the President] to issue the policy statement," Officer in Charge Undersecretary Beverly Lorraine Ho said in an interview with reporters in an event in Taguig City also on Tuesday.

OCTA founder Prof. Ranjit Rye, meanwhile, expressed hope that the decision to make mask use optional was based on science.

"We must bear in mind that Covid is still with us and that we must continue to be vigilant amid the spread of new variants. Sensible pandemic management is needed at this time, and we hope that whatever changes in policy will not contribute to a rise in infections," Rye said.

The DoH said that while it has illustrated all potential scenarios to the IATF during discussions regarding mask mandates, it will defer to the task force, a collegial body that takes into consideration the concerns of all sectors.It reminded the public that more layers of protection will enable more people to be protected against Covid-19, such as vaccination, masking, physical distancing, proper ventilation, sanitation, and taking care of one's health.

The DoH said the decision to ease the masking mandate will empower everybody to decide based on personal context and risk appraisal, especially with the celebration of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2) fast approaching.

"We need to start evaluating our risk. When you are going to an area where there are lots of people, like a cemetery, and you are immunocompromised or elderly, you have an option to go next week instead," Ho said.

Meanwhile, OCTA Research senior fellow Dr. Guido David believes that the wave of the highly infectious Covid-19 XBB variant is starting to decrease, noting that XBB cases have also gone down in Singapore.

"Hopefully, the trend continues until December. We can't be sure, but this is what we are expecting," David said during a briefing also on Tuesday.

He added that the National Capital Region began to experience fewer cases in the past few days.

But there were increases in cases reported in other provinces as indicated by high positivity rates, such as Tarlac in Central Luzon, some provinces in Northern Luzon and Western Visayas, and parts of Mindanao such as Misamis Oriental.

"The implication is that subvariants such as the XBB and XBC came late in these areas but in Metro Manila, we have experienced this and that the cases are now decreasing," David said.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Mike J said:

While the headline of the article say that Marcos okays optional use.  The article says Marcos "supports" but has yet to make it official.  But it appears Philippines is headed that direction soon. 

https://www.manilatimes.net/2022/10/26/news/marcos-oks-optional-use-of-masks-indoor/1863640

(Update) PRESIDENT Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. has supported a recommendation to make indoor mask-wearing voluntary with a goal of further boosting the economy, Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco said on Tuesday.

The easing of the country's health protocols was discussed during the President's meeting with his Cabinet on Tuesday in Malacañang.

"As a result of the Cabinet meeting this morning, it was agreed that the President would be issuing an executive order per the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases) recommendation to make indoor mask-wearing also voluntary all over the Philippines with few exceptions," Frasco said in a press briefing. 

She added that the wearing of masks will still be required in public transportation and medical facilities.

Remain vigilant, public urged

Frasco said persons unvaccinated against Covid-19, those with comorbidities and senior citizens are still "highly encouraged" to wear masks.

"But generally, the direction of the Marcos administration is to lift the remainder of travel restrictions, and that includes easing of mask mandates to allow our country to be at par with our Asean (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) neighbors who have long liberalized their mask mandates," the Tourism secretary noted.

The decision came over a month after Marcos signed an order making the wearing of masks outdoors optional.

Data from the IATF showed that "since September, there has been a decrease in Covid-19 cases by 2.8 percent," Frasco said.

"The lifting of the mask mandate [in outdoor spaces] in no way led to any surges in any parts of the country," she added.

The Tourism chief said the government is also looking at removing the remainder of Covid-19 stringent protocols such as the requirement of pre-departure testing in the form of RT-PCR.

She added that unvaccinated foreigners will be allowed entry into the country by presenting an antigen test taken 24 hours before their departure or taking an antigen test upon arrival in the Philippines.

"The overarching direction of the Marcos administration is to allow our country to convey an openness and readiness to the world to receive tourists and investments so that we would give our fellow Filipinos an opportunity to regain all the livelihood and losses that were incurred during the pandemic," Frasco said.

PH asked: Open economy 'as much as possible'

"We are optimistic that all of these restrictions being lifted by the Marcos administration can only redound to the benefit of the lives of millions of Filipinos [who stand] to benefit as well from the invigoration of the tourism industry," she added.

Meanwhile, Frasco said the government will mandate the use of electronic arrival (eArrival) card, a scan-and-go system, in airports beginning next month.

Starting November 1, the Bureau of Quarantine will require all inbound travelers to obtain an eArrival card within 72 hours prior to their departure from their country of origin.

Arriving travelers may secure an eArrival card by visiting the website onehealthpass.com.ph or by scanning the QR code indicated in the poster released by the Department of Health (DoH).

Frasco said the eArrival interface is more user-friendly and has a reduced number of questions needed to be answered by travelers.

During the meeting, she added, it was clarified that "the filling out of the eArrival card would not be made mandatory as a prerequisite to boarding, in other words, you can fill out the eArrival card at your own convenience prior to departure or upon arrival."

It was also agreed that special lanes will be provided at the airport for those who have not had the time to fill out the eArrival card.

"In the end, we simply cannot go on in a pandemic perspective, because we have to give our country an opportunity to thrive while maintaining basic health protocols, on one hand, and safeguarding and protecting livelihood and the economy, on the other. And this is the reason why the new [Covid-19] variant is being managed by the DoH, while the government is considering ways in which our economy can recover," Frasco said.

"Because of our President's position of prioritizing travel and tourism as a priority agenda of his administration and the sense of optimism and hope that has reverberated across the Philippines, there is great interest in the Philippines. This is actually well-reflected in our tourist arrivals," she added.

Marcos, in his weekly vlog released on Saturday, October 22, encouraged Filipinos to explore the beauty of the Philippines to spur economic growth.

He cited the need to promote local tourism to generate more economic activities in the country.

Domestic travel increased in 2021 with local trips reaching 37.27 million, higher by 38.16 percent from the 26.98 million recorded in 2020 when the Covid-19 pandemic struck, according to Department of Tourism data.

The country has also welcomed some 1.6 million international guests since opening up for leisure travel in February.

The DoH said it will await official guidance that will be issued by the Office of the President regarding the lifting of the masking mandate in indoor spaces.

"It is up for the [Office of the President] to issue the policy statement," Officer in Charge Undersecretary Beverly Lorraine Ho said in an interview with reporters in an event in Taguig City also on Tuesday.

OCTA founder Prof. Ranjit Rye, meanwhile, expressed hope that the decision to make mask use optional was based on science.

"We must bear in mind that Covid is still with us and that we must continue to be vigilant amid the spread of new variants. Sensible pandemic management is needed at this time, and we hope that whatever changes in policy will not contribute to a rise in infections," Rye said.

The DoH said that while it has illustrated all potential scenarios to the IATF during discussions regarding mask mandates, it will defer to the task force, a collegial body that takes into consideration the concerns of all sectors.It reminded the public that more layers of protection will enable more people to be protected against Covid-19, such as vaccination, masking, physical distancing, proper ventilation, sanitation, and taking care of one's health.

The DoH said the decision to ease the masking mandate will empower everybody to decide based on personal context and risk appraisal, especially with the celebration of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2) fast approaching.

"We need to start evaluating our risk. When you are going to an area where there are lots of people, like a cemetery, and you are immunocompromised or elderly, you have an option to go next week instead," Ho said.

Meanwhile, OCTA Research senior fellow Dr. Guido David believes that the wave of the highly infectious Covid-19 XBB variant is starting to decrease, noting that XBB cases have also gone down in Singapore.

"Hopefully, the trend continues until December. We can't be sure, but this is what we are expecting," David said during a briefing also on Tuesday.

He added that the National Capital Region began to experience fewer cases in the past few days.

But there were increases in cases reported in other provinces as indicated by high positivity rates, such as Tarlac in Central Luzon, some provinces in Northern Luzon and Western Visayas, and parts of Mindanao such as Misamis Oriental.

"The implication is that subvariants such as the XBB and XBC came late in these areas but in Metro Manila, we have experienced this and that the cases are now decreasing," David said.

I saw this as well and raised my eyebrows.  Most are still wearing masks outdoors in my area, not sure if it's a sense of civic duty or they are unaware of the EO a few weeks ago. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I saw this as well and raised my eyebrows.  Most are still wearing masks outdoors in my area, not sure if it's a sense of civic duty or they are unaware of the EO a few weeks ago. 

Alaya will not allow entry without masks here in Bacolod.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

It is not in effect yet but I suppose businesses have the option to require them.  If they start to lose business, they will ease up.  You know how it is here.  One mall will say optional, and the others will follow.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I think with many, including me, it is habit and convenience, as weird as that sounds.

I don't walk around outside much, in business areas.  If I am going to an indoor business, I have to have the mask, so I just take it with me when leaving the car, on my chin sometimes.  Better than stuffing it in my pocket.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If I am going to an indoor business, I have to have the mask, so I just take it with me when leaving the car, on my chin sometimes.  Better than stuffing it in my pocket.

Pretty much the same for me.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

President Marcos has signed the executive order and indoor masking is now optional.  I guess we will find out if LGUs will say otherwise? 

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1187349

MANILA – President Ferdinand Marcos on Friday signed an executive order (EO) allowing the voluntary wearing of face masks in indoor settings.

Under EO 7, the wearing of face masks in indoor and outdoor settings shall be voluntary except in healthcare facilities, medical transport, and public transportation by land, air, or sea.

The liberalization of the face mask mandate has been recommended by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) through its Resolution 3 (s. 2022).

Mask-wearing is still encouraged for the elderly, individuals with comorbidities, immunocompromised persons, pregnant women, unvaccinated individuals, and symptomatic individuals, according to the EO.

"A policy of voluntary wearing of face masks in both indoor and outdoor settings is a positive step towards normalization, and a welcome development that would encourage activities and boost efforts toward the full reopening of the economy," Marcos said.

The minimum public health standards will continue to be strictly enforced.

The EO also directs the Department of Health to update the MPHS guidelines.

Marcos, meanwhile, encouraged provinces, highly-urbanized cities, independent component cities, and municipalities with low-risk classification but Alert Level 2 status to meet vaccination targets to undertake efforts in expanding their vaccination and booster coverage.

In September, Marcos signed EO 3, allowing the voluntary wearing of face masks in outdoor settings, particularly in open spaces and non-crowded areas with good ventilation.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2022 at 7:58 AM, RBM said:

When? yesterday or today? 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

When? yesterday or today? 

That was last Wed.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted