Dog vaccinations

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

This morning our dogs head got stuck in a gate while he was trying to get a ball on the other side, once he was freed he bit the arm of the man that got him out.

This dog is 4 years old and since birth has had the annual injections, for everything according to the vet that has looked after the injections since day one.

When my gf called the vet and reported what had happened, the vet said to take the man and get anti rabies injections.

Now I am not there, but I am asking my partner what is the chances of the dog having rabies, so far we are  not getting any answers.

So why are we paying all this money every year without any guarantees.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

This morning our dogs head got stuck in a gate while he was trying to get a ball on the other side, once he was freed he bit the arm of the man that got him out.

This dog is 4 years old and since birth has had the annual injections, for everything according to the vet that has looked after the injections since day one.

When my gf called the vet and reported what had happened, the vet said to take the man and get anti rabies injections.

Now I am not there, but I am asking my partner what is the chances of the dog having rabies, so far we are  not getting any answers.

So why are we paying all this money every year without any guarantees.

Probably just an abundance of caution by the vet.  Our neighbours dog nipped me a few weeks back but she assured me the rabies injections were up to date and that was good enough for me.  

I'm still alive! 

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

If I got bit by any dog here (including yours) I would get anti rabies injections.  With such a serious infection I wouldn't risk it, regardless of whether you say your dog is fully vaccinated or not.

• Like 4

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

If I got bit by any dog here (including yours) I would get anti rabies injections.  With such a serious infection I wouldn't risk it, regardless of whether you say your dog is fully vaccinated or not.

So I will rephrase the subject content:

How can I tell if my 3 Belgians have Rabies, OR NOT?

Gas
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Cut off their heads and take it to the lab for testing. 
Im not being sarcastic and know someone who did the exact thing  a few years ago when they were bitten by a stray puppy. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

As far as I am aware, the test can only be done post-mortem and requires taking samples from the brain.  

So, Gas wasn't so far out in his post above!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gas said:

Cut off their heads and take it to the lab for testing. 

Vet and doctor in Philippines both told me the same thing.  Not sure how they do it in other countries.  Not sure if they even DO it like that in Philippines as its not very practical.  But its what they SAY to do.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Vet and doctor in Philippines both told me the same thing.  Not sure how they do it in other countries.  Not sure if they even DO it like that in Philippines as its not very practical.  But its what they SAY to do.

That is also what they do in the US if they need to determine if a dog has rabies.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks to everyone for their input.

With a typhoon over the house this morning I reckon there is more to be concerned about.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

On the topic of rabies just be aware there are plenty of counterfeit rabies vaccines going around.  About 4 yrs ago I was vaccinated with Virorab after being bitten, just before my third vaccine I was bored and looked it up. It turned out to be currently outlawed for use in the Philippines due to the Dept of Health finding multiple counterfeit vaccines.

I had it out with the dog bite clinic and they tried to convince me there's was genuine as it came in the Virorab box. I had a printed copy of the executive order on me saying it was illegal, signed by the DOH and they just shrugged their shoulders then told me it's OK I don't need any more vaccines, in other words if it's counterfeit it was too late anyway. 

I've tried to find the order but it's disappeared but it looks like the DOH is busy procuring other vaccines. 

FDA Advisory No. 2019-190 || Public Health Warning Against the Purchase and Use of Five Other Versions of Counterfeit VERORAB RABIES VACCINE FOR HUMAN USE, PREPARED ON CELL CULTURES (INACTIVATED)

Share this Post!

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns the public against the purchase and use of five other versions of counterfeit VERORAB RABIES VACCINE FOR HUMAN USE, PREPARED ON CELL CULTURES (INACTIVATED).

The FDA, together with the Marketing Authorization Holder (MAH), Sanofi Pausteur Inc., have verified that the aforementioned products in Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 8 are counterfeit.

The Lot numbers that were confirmed by the Marketing Authorization Holder (MAH), Sanofi Pasteur Inc. as counterfeit versions are the following. Moreover, no Lot Release Certificates were issued by FDA on these product lots:

Lot no. H1742 (Counterfeit version 1)

Lot no. H1833 (Counterfeit version 2 & 3)

Lot no. N1E353M (Counterfeit version 4)

Lot no. N1J75V (Counterfeit version 5)

• Like 2