Philippine Traditions

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Anyway she had watched the adds on television that told how one formula would ensure that the child would grow up a genius and gifted athlete, typical of Philippine advertising

And skin whitening creams work permanently....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

And skin whitening creams work permanently....

Have you seen the one on the internet that shows the pill you shove in your belly button to lose weight.  :hystery::hystery::hystery:

Edit - sorry for off topic but so funny I had to do it.

Edited by Mike J
  • Haha 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Sounds a bit like it may have gone beyond "expectation" and is now bordering on "extortion".   A few years back we were buying baby formula for one of our nephews.  The mother maybe either would not or could not nurse?  Anyway she had watched the adds on television that told how one formula would ensure that the child would grow up a genius and gifted athlete, typical of Philippine advertising.  :tongue:   This brand was of course much more expensive as it had all those magical ingredients.  She called my wife "kuripot" when told the other brand was what we would provide.  

I will call it, "Traditional Form of Extortion."  

When our children were small, the Philippine pediatrician either says, "Similac or Enfamil," depending on which company gave the higher rebate.  Both children were born in the United States and started on formula opposite of what the pediatrician recommended.  There is no real justification for the high prices, so the rebate must have been substantial.  

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

They will form a separate line for their share of my money.  "But I don't know any of them."  Her reply, "That's okay. 

Many videos of Imelda handing out P1000 bills both from outside a house and from her car window.

There are other videos of Pacquiou doing the same in Sarangani. They hire security and ensure everyone forms an orderly line. No one says thankyou.. it seems its an expectation and almost a "right"  for residents to recieve such amounts.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

A close friend, who is local ethnic Chinese, lived in a family compound when he was a small boy.  The children upon returning from school would do the "mano po" and his grandfather would then give them 25 centavous.  They knew he had failing eyesight so everyone would do a loop to get additional coins.  Being a lifelong enterprising businessman, the grandfather installed a Coke vending machine which required a 25 centavous coin.  Instead of a free drink as part of their after-school snack, they would have to buy drinks and the grandfather would recover his coins.

Years later he went bankrupt from family dental bills.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Update on our family get together.

The event was held at the recreation center of Nuvali Subdivision, an Ayala Land project, about one and a half hours from Makati due to heavy traffic.  Some of the relatives I have not seen in years.  The event wasn't the correct venue to catch up, so my wife and I will be inviting them for lunch on an individual or per couple basis.  Several had flown in from the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  This was the first gathering in 3 years due to the pandemic.  Lots of traditional Spanish dishes, but more on that in a future posting.

Main event was giving away crisp new bills as "Aguinaldo."  There were more givers, my estimate is more than 45, and approximately 35 family recipients.  Everyone had 50s or 100s.  (I quickly hid my 20s.)  First group were the toddlers held by their parents.  They looked bewildered.  Next were the small children.  The traditional "Mano Po" or a kiss on the cheek is gone.  Just handover the money.  Most fun were the pre-teens and teens.  The girls would accept the money and linger.  You had to ask, "Do you want more?"  The shy response was, "Yes." so you handed them additional money.  Most creative were the boys.  Three of them had photos of their pet dogs on cellular phones with the message, "My basset hound wishes you, 'Merry Christmas.'" They received double the amount.

Last group were the maids, yayas, drivers, caregivers and Nuvali security guards.  Word had spread that we were giving away money, so subdivision guards started arriving at the recreation center.  The total number was around 60.  It was a fun, and everyone was happy with the outcome.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The traditional "Mano Po" or a kiss on the cheek is gone.

That is too bad.  Mano Po is very much alive in my extended family and very common here in the province.  My elder relatives have almost all passed away.  I only ask Mano Po from my mother in law and the lone remaining Aunt from papa's side of the family.

• Like 3