One Day Millionaires

Freebie
Posted
Posted

The whole notion of a madatory 13th pay is baffling. It started here as bonus payment for non govt employees.... but the for govt employees it became a standard. Under labour law here, if you are provided a benefit for 3 years or more it becomes an " acquired right "... so then it became standard practice. Then non govt employees said why cant we be treated same as govt and get 13th month. So its basically an additional pay check, that may as well be included in everyones salary Jan to December... but then everyone would ask again for the 13th month pay.

Working here has some strange HR aspects.

For instance in many businesses, staff will also get a cavan of rice ( a cavan being 50gh sack of rice ).

OK for the strong fellows but imagine a slim slight office lady type being given 50kg of rice... weighs more than her... " How do I get this home " many would ask .

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gas said:

Most of my employees are technically self employed, so no need to give 13 month pay, but I do give them a good Christmas bonus. 
I’ve learnt over the years to give the bonus a day or two before Christmas Day, as otherwise their work mentality seems to change if it’s too early. 
Like you I give generous tips at Christmas. Wife always says it will come back double. I’m still waiting 🙂

3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder if you have confirmed this?  Marcos brought this law in and I am sure his son will keep it in place.  As I read the law, the only ones who are not entitled are management:

I'm self-employed and classified as a contractor - I do online classes.  My 'employer" is always at great pains to reiterate I'm not an employee for obvious reasons.

Even the term self-employed employee is contradictory and an oxymoron. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

employees who are paid on piece work basis

18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My 'employer" is always at great pains to reiterate I'm not an employee for obvious reasons

Your "employer" can tell you whatever he likes.  My quote is from the Philippine Department of Labor and Employment.  Perhaps you should ask them if you can charge a pro rated 13th month pay for each job you do.  But I am betting you don't do it as it is always wise to fly under the radar.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Your "employer" can tell you whatever he likes.  My quote is from the Philippine Department of Labor and Employment.  Perhaps you should ask them if you can charge a pro rated 13th month pay for each job you do.  But I am betting you don't do it as it is always wise to fly under the radar.

It's nothing to do with flying under the radar, it's to do with not having the time, energy or motivation to have the debate.  

• I'm Confused 1