Currently dealing with a licensed electrician who is extracting the urine over a solar installation

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm helping a friend out in Kalibo who is installing a 15kW hybrid solar system, we did our homework, got loads of quotes varying from about 600k to over 1.5m peso.  In the end I took over and sourced a 15kW system from China for about 550k which was way above any of the specs offered here, we even took a two day installation course to get a better understanding of the systems.

The items arrived and his wife had arranged for a licensed electrician she knew from college to come along for the instal. The alarm bells started ringing when he was saying how he was going to install it, his calculations were out and he was saying we needed lots of extra items. I was looking at a 2 day install and he said it might take a bit longer. I talked him out of the majority of items and how he was planning to do it and my mate just told him to crack on and get it done as he was heading off shore for a couple of months. 

I casually asked how much his labour would be and he said 150k peso lol. My Scottishness kicked in and I told him to F off and give us a sensible price. I pointed out four guys on 500 peso per day could install the panels as I hung the invertor and batteries, all he had to do was fit the cabling, breakers and feeds then sign it off, two days work max.  Looking at about 6k max for their labour and two days work for him so how much does a licensed electrician make per day? I could see he wasn't a happy bunny and slightly embarrassed so he back tracked and quoted 50k but that was to rewire the house and any additional electrical jobs they wanted which my mate said he'd be OK with. 

I then asked what he classed as additional work and how urgent would he make these jobs once he had the cash in his hand. I pointed out by experience once tradesmen get the money here you never see them again as they are always too busy. He assured me he would prioritise my friend lol. My friend was in a rush so agreed. One hour later he wanted a lunch break so I asked when they would return, 1pm sir.  Fine by me but make sure it's 1pm as I want the job completed in a couple of days.  He assured me they would return, I even highlighted that to the British time keeping is important so if you're going to be late, sneak off to do another job say now as liars piss me off.  No sir we will be there, 1.47pm they returned. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I had to leave and left them to it, 8 days later the install still isn't complete and no replies from the electrician who last week said he was waiting on two items. I also noticed he had fitted two automatic transfer switches for god knows what as one is all that is required. 

It's more fun in the Philippines. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Is he actually a licensed electrical contractor or electrical engineer? If so he will be on the PCAB website. 

I learned thru bitter experience to never hire anyone here without a written, signed and witnessed contract.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

We just completed a rewire of our entire house.  Everything was replaced, new breaker panel, all wiring, every switch, every receptacle, every light fixture.  Even had them change the location where service came into the house to avoid palms that would reach the wires in a few years.  We had them cut channels in the block walls to bury the wire/conduit, then refill the trench with mortar.  Three helpers plus the electrician did the work over a period of two months as the typhoon damage to roof and ceiling was also done by our two workers.    All four electrical workers were here for about 12-14 days over the course of the rewire.  They did excellent work and the total cost of labor and materials was nowhere close to 150K.    Your friend is definitely being taken advantage of.   @Snowy79, looking to do a solar installation next year if the budget permits.  Can you pm the site in China where you sourced your friends.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

his wife had arranged for a licensed electrician she knew from college

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

image.jpeg

In this one case I'd side with the wife as she's so tight she squeeks when she walks. She's in the process of telling him to never come back and as of yet he hasn't been paid or contract signed.  She's connected so I doubt there will be repercussions. He will be paid the going rate for what he has done and if sensble will leave quietly. 

• Like 3