Ermita- How safe is it there?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I am looking for somewhere cheap to stay for a week, and came across some well known expat bars in the area that offer accommodation.

Knowing full well that it is not a safe place during the night hours but how about in the day?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I am looking for somewhere cheap to stay for a week, and came across some well known expat bars in the area that offer accommodation.

Knowing full well that it is not a safe place during the night hours but how about in the day?

I used to stay there regularly on my overnight's in Manila, no issues at all.  

Swagman?

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

I never had any problem there day or night. I was there often before Covid due to visiting Manila Dr Hospital

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Its like many places here....be aware of your surroundings, be aware of who is walking too close, be aware of who is looking at you too intently.... and be aware of street kids.... but otherwise , its fine. 

In case you are worried then keep wallet and phone closer to you, or even in a chest type bag. Oh and the best form of defence in case of concern is walk fast.

We know locals cant or wont walk fast...

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've spent many a time there at all hours of the day and night and in various states. Never once felt in danger but I walk as if I'm on a mission.  Your biggest risk is pick pocketing from kids as they tried a few times with me.  One distracts as a few come up behind, they're good and fast.  

Some great Airbnb in the area and way cheaper than the hotels. Usual bars are G-point, Dusk till Dawn and LaCafe. All crawling with bar girls but some great live music. Robinsons Mall there is OK with a few cinemas and again girls offering you a massage lol. I'd also recommend Ocean Park. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Fearing pickpockets, carry a fake wallet.  I have an expired driver's license for identity.  No one bothers to check for expiration date.  One current credit card.  The rest are no big deal if lost like AARP or AAA membership.  Cash amount is limited to your immediate requirements like less than $100.  This way you won't cry if it gets stolen.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

The pickpocket modes of operation with me was one gang were pestering me for money, never pull your wallet out to give them anything, if you feel generous have a pocket of coins which you throw in the air and quickly walk away, as they were pestering me I noticed one lad with his arms tucked inside a sweat shirt, he was stood beside me and edged in and I saw his hands appear out the bottom and he reached into my pocket. I launched him into the air and shouted as loud as I could for the rest to go away, not a recommendation unless you can handle yourself as they are a gang but my reactions were instant before I could think. I was with a fellow foreigner which helped. 

The second one was a group of young girls, one was tall probably about 14yrs old and she grabbed me by the face and was trying to tweek my cheeks and caling me daddy, asking for money. I caught on straight away and reached for my pockets and sure enough there was a girl about 8yrs old just reaching in from behind. They sprinted away into the crowds as soon as they knew I was onto them. They must be well known as some locals laughed and said they do it regularly.  

I have a waist belt that holds all my cash, cards and ID.  Very cheap and hidden away, impossible to pickpocket.  Just have some loose coins in my front pockets, no more than about 100 peso. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I bought a whistle , one that the security guards use ( annoyingly so !).. only had to use it once near the Heritage hotel on way across the bridge to the old Edsa complex  and there was a gang of street kids.... the whistle startled them sufficiently for me to stroll away and for them to wonder why the poriner was blowing his whistle like a mad man.

Waist belts are good as is a few coins to throw around. Same as JJ, I also carry my old driving licence.

Be very wary of trannies.. their tactic is to block your path and whisper sweet nothings while another one man in a frock comes up behind you looking for access to your pockets. Saw that once at 2am in a dark part of Ermita... shouted at the drunk  European to be very careful of what was about to happen. and carried on walking.

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Back in 91 I was working with a Scott. Big guy, hands like a meat club. After a few weeks working together I asked him what he did before joining the military. "pickpocket" was all he said. Well that got a good laugh from all of us at the table.....The last laugh was on us. In less then an hour he had taken three of our wallets and swapped out the ID's. Me being the senior person in the cab ride back to base I pulled out "My" ID and flashed it to the gate guard. Luckily the guard was in a good mood. It took a few seconds to figure out what had happened and who had whose card. Its hard to spot every pickpocket, some don't fit the profile.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2