Retiring in the PH

Nomad
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Welcome to the forum Nomad.  

They upped the age for a retirement visa to 50 a few years ago, so that's not for you.  Other options are either a 9a visitors visa which you apply for prior to departure and is initially for 59 days.  It's a physical full-page sticker in your passport and takes a couple of weeks to obtain. You can extend this 30, 60 days or six months at a time for up to 2 years.  

The other and most popular option is Visa on Arrival (VOA) which you allows you 29 days and can be extended for the same time periods as the 9a but up to 3 years rather than 2.  It's obtained at the airport on arrival, funnily enough. 

I've found paying for excess baggage to be more economical than shipping a box of gear unless you're planning on an entire household in a container.  Others may have had different experiences depending on the airline.  Personally, I'd check-in my computer as excess baggage and buy new peripherals on arrival.  

Make sure you have your 2-factor authentication for your banks, cards etc sorted before you depart; if you travel around to the more remote areas phone reception can be sketchy at times.  On that note, have more than one way to access your money; for example, I have World Remit, Send and Wise accounts as well as a secondary bank in back in Australia in case there's any issues.  Also, keep a stash of local currency for for emergencies.  Why? Where I live after a typhoon about this time last year, there was no power for 4 weeks so no ATMs.  I know in Metro Manila that's unlikely to ever happen, for that time period at least, but it wouldn't hurt just in case.  

I'd get a Gcash account after you arrive. It's great for paying if you don't want to carry a lot of cash.  There's very few businesses that don't accept it, even here in the "remote" province where I live. It's easy to set up, and you can transfer directly to it from something like Wise. The only requirement is a local phone number; hence the need for "after you arrive". 

As for BGC, never stayed there, but I'm sure there's others that can give you advice on that front. 

Great advice, thanks!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Yes you can, you just have to show an extension past the 90 days your international licence is valid for.  I had no issues obtaining mine.  As for banks, again, yes you can.  Once you've been here long enough to obtain an ACR-I card, even the tourist stream, you can open an account.  However, there are some managers that won't allow it, but in my recent experience, most do.  Basically no ACR card, no account, if you have an ACR card, shop around until you find a bank that says yes.  BPI in central Dumaguete said no, but all other branches in the area said yes.  YMMV, as we often say (Your Mileage May Vary). 

Hate to disagree, Brett, but I think it might depend on location? Here in Davao, I went to LTO a few years ago to obtain a PI license based on using my USA license to convert. Well, the first guy I was supposed to see, who directs everyone to their respective counters for new, replacement, renewal, etc., licenses was this steely-eyed kid (maybe 25?). He took one look at my ACR card, frowned, and told me flat-out that I could not get a PI license without a visa lasting one year or longer. That was the end of that. He did seem pleased to turn me away - maybe on his own personal power trip? Oh well...

Since then, I got the SRRV - which the OP is not eligible for - then it was all smiles and "yes sir"s and all was well and straightforward. Anyway, that was my experience here...

• Like 4

bob1965
Posted
Posted

I’d look into opening a wise account and getting a wise debit card. I know cash is king at smaller places, but I’ve used my card for most purchases of a few thousand+. Sm, supermarkets etc will take the card. And you can hold pesos in it so no terrible exchange rate. Also easy to transfer in and out. I top up my GCash from it. 

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My only advice would be to try somewhere out for a couple of months then move around and repeat.  What may seam like paradise can soon turn ugly and you don't want tied into a long term rental.

Arriving unemployed without going into your financial status could be a challenge. Unless you're living off an overseas income you are going to struggle to maintain the equivilent lifestyle you could get in the West. BGC, Makati etc is known as expensive for accommodation and food, drink also more expensive. The women in that area also tend to be more high maintenance which could hit your pocket unless you're God's gift to women and find a sugar mummy. :whistling: 

Forget the idea of coming over and walking into a high paid job and throw in how are you going to maintain any sort of pension plan for the future. 

Nomad
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

My only advice would be to try somewhere out for a couple of months then move around and repeat.  What may seam like paradise can soon turn ugly and you don't want tied into a long term rental.

Arriving unemployed without going into your financial status could be a challenge. Unless you're living off an overseas income you are going to struggle to maintain the equivilent lifestyle you could get in the West. BGC, Makati etc is known as expensive for accommodation and food, drink also more expensive. The women in that area also tend to be more high maintenance which could hit your pocket unless you're God's gift to women and find a sugar mummy. :whistling: 

Forget the idea of coming over and walking into a high paid job and throw in how are you going to maintain any sort of pension plan for the future. 

Not trying to get too deep into financials, but I'm retiring there, I have money.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Any advice on a better place to stay?  Love to find the women who are true.  I've been around the block with Asian ladies, so I know how to weed most of the bad ones out, but would like to find the best.  Not trying to pay to play, or anything crazy.  

BGC and Makati are both good as in modern, and safe and easy to go around. QC also has many places that are good but much less foreigners, so a better captiv market but harder to find mates to bounce ideas and experiences off and further from the airport. Theres' Cebu island  which some prefer as supposedly the girls are prettier but I found that to be an urban myth. There are beaches on Cebu island but then you get to the province life versus the city life.  Theres communities by some beaches in Luzon, then lots pretty islands all over the place. .Boracay too.....But best to have a base where you can stash your 3 cases and can run to when you need to.

And at first I wouldnt give out too many details about yourself, where you stay, how long you staying for etc... etc...That might or might not be relevant as Filipinas not shy about asking the most personal questions.

Id start with BGC or Makati and see how the costs  of living in those places . work for you...Inflation, at 8% ( officially )  is real here and prices are changing ( upwards ) all the time.

Traveling domestically is easy and fun BUT... plenty of opportunities for things to go south.. planes delayed or not taking off, or ferries being cancelled and and and and... they all make great  stories to tell although frustrating at the time. Thats life here... Finding the Best woman.. its a long line, mate. They crop up in the most unexpected times and places. You just have to be able to take advantage and be nimble when they do crop up.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Not trying to get too deep into financials, but I'm retiring there, I have money.

If you have the finances and your health the World is your oyster as they say. You can live a great life on just over 50k peso per month before accommodation or 200k.  Each will be as good depending on your likes.  The only thing you need to worry about then is females, they can make or break you here.  I've met a couple of guys that arrived loaded with cash and 5 years later they are living off their pension having lost the lot to female charm.  

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Any advice on a better place to stay?  Love to find the women who are true.  I've been around the block with Asian ladies, so I know how to weed most of the bad ones out, but would like to find the best. 

The best are from the provinces, because

3 hours ago, Freebie said:

BGC gals can sometimes be a bit used

Of course most provinces aren't fit for an expat lifestyle, so you'll need to find that balance.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

The best are from the provinces, because

Of course most provinces aren't fit for an expat lifestyle, so you'll need to find that balance.

Agreed...

I think I will simply sort-of quote from so many members here in the forum, including myself. Boots on the ground first and try a few places and situations. Don't be in a rush, take your time. Personally, I've learned that it can take a while to acclimate to a particular location and situation. As someone here suggested a while back, and I second the idea, stay some places on weekends, at night, or during holidays. Things change and, what might seem like paradise during the day might turn to hell at night - karaoke, loud bars, drunks wandering around shouting, dogs barking, roosters crowing, and so on and so forth. Just a suggestion and hopefully it may assist you...

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Nomad said:

Any advice on a better place to stay?  Love to find the women who are true.  I've been around the block with Asian ladies, so I know how to weed most of the bad ones out, but would like to find the best.  Not trying to pay to play, or anything crazy.  

Kind of depends on what you define as "true".  If you mean; faithful, loving, giving, kind, supporting, then I would recommend you look for a partner who has been raised in the middle of a large, rather westernized, city.  The further you go from the bigger cities the more luck you will have finding what you are looking for.  My opinion of course.