Need some Help Understanding

Coffee
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Your experience might be different but its the airline who ask for proof and they certainly checked on my last arrival. Never did immigration as as its the airlines responsibility. 

I came in through Mactan. After you get off the airplane, you have to go through immigration. That's where they will ask for proof (sometimes) of onward travel. It was the same when I came in through Manila. They wanted to see proof of onward travel.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

I think since the travel restrictions have been relaxed they’re getting stricter. Pre-Covid I was only asked once that I can recall by the BOI for proof of onward travel. It was only by the airline gate agents upon initial check in (every time). Now the last two times I’ve arrived I was asked by the BOI upon arrival. Best to play it safe and get a throwaway ticket if you plan to stay more than 30 days. 

• Like 1

longway
Posted
Posted

As for changing your flight back home it depends on the kind of ticket you bought.  I once had a "change with fee" type and had to pay several hundred dollars to change the return flight when I extended my stay. YMMV. The airline your flying with makes those rules. Check your flight details. 

• Like 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted

From 1997 to 2021 I lived here on a tourist visa only despite being married for the latter part as it was so easy.  Go to HK with the wife for a week, come back and get a 1 year Balikbayan visa and no need for an onward ticket as a balikbayan.  If I flew on my own I'd come in from say China for a business trip there - but have a cheap AirAsia to Malaysia ticket as an onward connection and then throw it away.

I got my 13A Spouse Visa as in 2020 lockdowns my 3 years stay expired and I couldn't fly out on a visa run and had to do the 13A.  Now with vaxx rules etc I'm happy just not to fly anyway and it's good to have the PR - but for 23+ years it was no problem as a tourist.

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 12/28/2022 at 6:17 PM, Coffee said:

If you plan on staying here, you'll need to go to BI (I recommend at least one week before your visa expires) to get another 30 day extension. Again, go a week early. They BI will give you two months and will charge you more for the issuance of a ACR-I card. Next trip to BI, you'll get 6 months and pick up your ACR-I card while there.

As for onward travel, when I came into the country in March, they were denying people who could not produce a printed onward travel confirmation. I had one and it was worth losing hundred bucks just to make sure there were no issues.

I used one of those ticket "rental services" and bought return tix from MNL back to Seattle, that routed through Singapore....of course never to use.  It's good for I think 72 hrs from purchase, which I bought night before I departed and good to go at the airport back home with airline.  Cost $14.  You can buy longer lasting ones for bit more money.

Question on ACR card though....I'll be going back home for 2 weeks to take care of some final things there, probably after the ACR card issued based on timing vice intent.   Do I then have to start the whole tourist visa process again when I fly back into MNL or will the ACR card give me some version of immigration status?   Would fly back in with my Asawa and get the BB stamp by having her meet me at the stopover location, but seems waste of $ over all.  Thanks. 

Coffee
Posted
Posted
On 1/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, Nickleback99 said:

I used one of those ticket "rental services" and bought return tix from MNL back to Seattle, that routed through Singapore....of course never to use.  It's good for I think 72 hrs from purchase, which I bought night before I departed and good to go at the airport back home with airline.  Cost $14.  You can buy longer lasting ones for bit more money.

Question on ACR card though....I'll be going back home for 2 weeks to take care of some final things there, probably after the ACR card issued based on timing vice intent.   Do I then have to start the whole tourist visa process again when I fly back into MNL or will the ACR card give me some version of immigration status?   Would fly back in with my Asawa and get the BB stamp by having her meet me at the stopover location, but seems waste of $ over all.  Thanks. 

Unfortunately, yes. My 3 years isn't up yet, but I'm told that you'll have to give up your ACR-I card, do an exit clearance, etc (money money).

• Thanks 1