Surprise

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some years ago we bought my now late father in law a range hood. When we recently started our renovation of the house we removed it and the cabinet it was attached to. To our surprise we found out that he had just led all the fumes and grease up into the attic!!!

The range hood was in a miserable shape and had probably never been cleaned! I was shocked when I saw it, I have actually never seen such a dirty appliance!

I feared the worst and expected the attic to be in a similar state but to my relief it looked great 👍

I have been thinking how that could be? My best guess is that the filter was never cleaned and that blocked all the grease from entering the attic.

Have any of you seen an appliance this dirty??? 🤮

IMG_20230109_202348890.jpgIMG_20230109_132420797.jpg

Edited by Viking
Spelling
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

Have any of you seen an appliance this dirty???

I have observed a phenomenon that may be described as:  If it costs a lot of money then it don't need maintenance.  On the other hand, a cheap bolo knife gets more maintenance than anything else in the house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Viking said:

Have any of you seen an appliance this dirty??

Water filters, apparently they don't need cleaning either and will provide potable water for life. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

Some years ago we bought my now late father in law a range hood. When we recently started our renovation of the house we removed it and the cabinet it was attached to. To our surprise we found out that he had just led all the fumes and grease up into the attic!!!

Well if you only supplied half the kit such as rangehood did you really expect anyone would buy ducting and what's needed to vent outside? :smile:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Water filters, apparently they don't need cleaning either and will provide potable water for life. 

But... But, water filters are so very expensive. Best to make them last. 

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Viking said:

The range hood was in a miserable shape and had probably never been cleaned! I was shocked when I saw it, I have actually never seen such a dirty appliance!

I feared the worst and expected the attic to be in a similar state but to my relief it looked great 👍

I have been thinking how that could be? My best guess is that the filter was never cleaned and that blocked all the grease from entering the attic.

Have any of you seen an appliance this dirty??? 🤮

IMG_20230109_202348890.jpgIMG_20230109_132420797.jpg

I expect you are right - once the filter is blocked with grease etc it will simple stop filtering so no grease/fumes etc can go anywhere except probably right back into the kitchen again. 

It's like A/C here - once a quarter I clean the filters which is a 5-minute job and have the technician do a deep clean once a year (should be twice but hey-ho) but from my wife's comments we are unusual in this regard.  

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2023 at 6:18 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well if you only supplied half the kit such as rangehood did you really expect anyone would buy ducting and what's needed to vent outside? :smile:

Well, we actually bought all things necessary but I guess they thought it was too much work involved doing it the right way. Now it was much easier and we would not see any difference. As a bonus (I am guessing now 😜) the parts not being used could be sold to someone else.

I am always surprised by the bad craftsmanship that is so common here. Even when doing things to themselves!

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2023 at 7:07 AM, Mike J said:

I think the cockroaches living in the attic ate the grease and loved it. :hystery:

Hmmmm, when we arrived, there actually was a lot of them in the house and they were big and fat!!😂

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Today I had another surprise.

We had arranged for having that disgusting range hood picked up by the garbage man. Our fridge died the other week so he took that with him as well.

I was standing there with the wallet in my hand ready to pay him but he was actually paying money to ME!!!

I thought it was some misunderstanding and it took a while before I understood that it was correct that I was the one who should receive the money, hahaha.

Three seconds after getting the money in my hand I realized how weird it felt that this "poor" garbage man should give money to the "rich" Kano and I told the man he could keep the money (250p).

He was happy for the money and I was happy to get rid of the waste. 👍

• Like 5