Philippines Grants US Greater Access to Bases in the Philippines

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

Philippines, U.S. agree to add four locations under EDCA

Agreement comes amid tension in South China Sea, over Taiwan

EDCA allows U.S. access to Philippine military bases

China says greater U.S. access hurts regional stability

MANILA, Feb 2 (Reuters) - The Philippines has granted the United States greater access to its military bases, their defence chiefs said on Thursday, amid mounting concern over China's increasing assertiveness in the disputed South 

https://www.reuters.com/world/philippines-grants-us-greater-access-bases-amid-china-concerns-2023-02-02/

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Should be no surprise to those familiar with the Marcos family and the USA. Symbiotic relationship. A close relative of mine was assigned to provide security to the cargo plane when Marcos went to Hawaii. He said he'd never seen so much gold and cash before except in movies.

As someone else has mentioned the US never left the Philippines anyway.

I DO wish the Philippines would revoke for once and all the agreement exempting US military for crimes committed in the Philippines . US military should be held to the same account as all foreigners.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

At least this is decisive action.  His predecessor couldn't make up his mind on which side of the fence he wanted to be on.  

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

At least this is decisive action.  His predecessor couldn't make up his mind on which side of the fence he wanted to be on.  

I think he just played both for gains that suited him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Greglm said:

I DO wish the Philippines would revoke for once and all the agreement exempting US military for crimes committed in the Philippines . US military should be held to the same account as all foreigners.

US Military personnel are not exempted from for crimes committed in the Philippines!

• Like 3

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Greglm said:

A close relative of mine was assigned to provide security to the cargo plane when Marcos went to Hawaii,He said he'd never seen so much gold and cash before except in movies.

If i can ask what was his last name? Was he in the Marines? Pitcher 6 people doing the math on the back of an envelope.  Gold is 350 an OZ. Max cargo take off load weight. 38500lb so 215,600,000. or a  pallet containing 640,000 bills, or $64 million, max floor space with ramp up "8". weight of 1410 lb per pallet so 11280 take off load weight.   What ones do you think were loaded and what ones were left at the cargo ramp?

• I'm Confused 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

And the Chinese retaliate with weather balloons.:4617:

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ram1957 said:

US Military personnel are not exempted from for crimes committed in the Philippines!

True, they are just exempt from serving time in a regular Philippines prison. VFA used to say [may still].  They remain in US custody. the Marine convicted in 2006 ended up serving in a special cell in the Philippines until Duterte pardoned him.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

I would certainly hope so. Giving carte blanche to anyone to commit any crime is totally a no no anywhere.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

And the Chinese retaliate with weather balloons.:4617:

All that money invested in protecting the country and a balloon penetrator the defence and proceeds to make its merry way across the country. And the Chinese admit it's theirs.