Filipino foods that made the worst 100 list.....

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://www.rappler.com/life-and-style/food-drinks/hotsilog-kinalas-filipino-spaghetti-worst-dishes-world-taste-atlas-2023/?fbclid=IwAR0lGMtO2lnyrRGci-Z3-lSHGg37hb8WHql8-pQA22RiOXKrMyK1hXL4aLc

Hotsilog, kinalas, Filipino spaghetti among Worst Dishes in the World, according to Taste Atlas

MANILA, Philippines – Oh no! Four Filipino dishes have (unfortunately) made it to 2023’s Top 100 Worst Dishes in the World list, according to international food database Taste Atlas.

Taste Atlas released the list on Saturday, February 4, where Bicol’s kinalas is in 17th place with a 2.4 rating, and breakfast staple hotsilog in 36th place with a 2.6 rating. 

Naga City’s unsung delicacy, kinalas, is a traditional Filipino dish of noodles, spices, pork or beef brains, and scraped meat from pork or beef head. It looks somewhat similar to beef mami – a noodle dish that most Filipinos are familiar with – the addition of a thick and dark brown sauce on top of the noodles, described by Taste Atlas as “a shrimpy, garlicky brown gravy consisting of dried shrimps, vinegar, garlic, shallots, soy sauce, and fish sauce.”

Kinalas is from the old Bicol word “kalas,” which means “fall off the bone” – a reference to how the noodle dish is traditionally made. “Kinalas is often garnished with spring onions, fried garlic, or chili peppers, but some people like to add a hard-boiled egg on top. The dish is always served hot,” Taste Atlas added. The dish is usually paired with puto, turon, chicharon, or banana cue.

Hotsilog is considered a traditional breakfast choice and a childhood favorite, featuring garlic fried rice, fried egg, and bright-red, Filipino-style hotdogs. The hotdogs are “usually slightly cut on the sides,” and then boiled, then fried in oil. According to Taste Atlas, the popular silog is accompanied by banana ketchup, atchara (pickled shredded papaya), and tomato slices on the side.

If you check Taste Atlas’ website, two more Filipino dishes were put on the chopping block – one is balut, the polarizing Filipino delicacy and street food favorite. “It is a duck egg that has been hard-boiled, fertilized, and incubated. Traditionally, the cooked embryo is consumed straight from the shell,” Taste Atlas wrote. The dish, which is also a pulutan fave, “can be seasoned with chili, garlic, vinegar, salt, lemon juice, and ground pepper.”

The second dish is sweet-style Filipino Spaghetti, an iteration of Italy’s pasta that Italians may frown upon. A common birthday staple, Filipino spaghetti is sweet, made with ground meat, hot dogs, banana ketchup, and sugar, usually topped with grated cheese.

“It is believed that the dish was invented by Filipino mothers who noticed that their children love sugar, so they put a spin on the classic spaghetti dishes. Today, this inexpensive meal is known as the one that unites families,” Taste Atlas added.

Recently, bibingka was named the 16th Best Cake in the World. In December 2021, bibingka snagged the 65th spot on Taste Atlas’ 100 Best Dishes in the World list at 4.4 stars, alongside lugaw, kesong puti, and lechon.

Taste Atlas is an online gastronomic database that promotes the local culinary culture of countries all over the world. The website contains over 10,000 specialty dishes, drinks, recommended restaurants, and local ingredients for anyone to check out before an international trip. – Steph Arnaldo/Rappler.com

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Have to endorse this, we live in a medium sized city with many restos. Very few we go to for a second try, just disappointment after disappointment.  Sad but true, the food we have at home by far surpasses anything here so why go out spend around P800 and not enjoy. Now its just a few drinks and very light snacks.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Modern day Filipino dishes are heavy on the use of salt and the main ingredients include pork, beef and chicken.  In addition to salt, there is soy sauce and patis.  I indulged after arrival last November which resulted in health issues.  Trying for a fish base diet with no rice (ouch!) and more fresh vegetables has been difficult.  I love bibingka and we went today to the Legaspi Sunday Market to buy.  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are a number of Filipino dishes I do eat a small amount I truly enjoy but for the most part it's not to my liking. Not to bash Filipinos or Philippines.

JJ, I love Bibingka! I get the mix here in the US and make it at home very occasionally as it's very unhealthy for an old fart like me.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I know I'm in the minority and I know it's not healthy... but I honestly prefer Filipino Spaghetti to Western style... and to make things worse Hot dog, garlic rice and egg (hotsilog) is the dish I most commonly order if we're staying at somewhere for breakfast (and western breakfast food isn't available).

I draw the line at Balut though :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

sweet-style Filipino Spaghetti, an iteration of Italy’s pasta that Italians may frown upon. A common birthday staple, Filipino spaghetti is sweet, made with ground meat, hot dogs, banana ketchup, and sugar, usually topped with grated cheese.

Overcooked pasta too, it's more like Spaghetti-Os than spaghetti.

At least some restaurants make it more authentic now.

Edited by Kingpin

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Hotsilog, kinalas, Filipino spaghetti among Worst Dishes in the World, according to Taste Atlas

And to top it all off, these are usually cooked long before eating and then served cold (as in room temperature)....

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And to top it all off, these are usually cooked long before eating and then served cold (as in room temperature)....

After sitting for 10 hours.

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

9 hours ago, Old55 said:

JJ, I love Bibingka! I get the mix here in the US and make it at home very occasionally as it's very unhealthy for an old fart like me.

Don't say unhealthy.  I already convinced myself the flour is made from cassava and therefore it's good for you.

• Love it 2
  • Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Don't say unhealthy.  I already convinced myself the flour is made from cassava and therefore it's good for you.

The small ones they fire-bake and sell on street are good

1115.jpg?w=800&ssl=1

But the big fat steamed ones are even  better, more dense, doughy, chewy.  White or purple called 'puto' but they call everything puto.

IMG_3382.JPG

Probably the most delicious thing I ever ate here, must be loaded with butter, cream, or margarine.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1